Cfs2 cloud mod

Thread: Cfs2 cloud mod

Cfs2 cloud mod

This is a cloud mod for cfs2. The textures were sourced from an Aris/Woff cfs3 cloud mod. I edited clouds from Aris textures to create new low level cloud textures, the clouds you see on take off.

For the high altitude clouds I just selected appropriate cloud textures, renamed them and converted them to a cfs2 friendly bitmap format.

Check the readme for install instructions.

get it here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ydxl9xqio5984sr/2019_CLOUD_MOD.7z/file

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bandicam-2019-06-02-14-39-21-029.jpg  

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    A very nice addition to CFS2. Thank you ! Will try it out today. Regards,Scott

Any problems or constructive criticism let me know.

Look so much better, thank you!

Hit hard, hit fast, hit where it hurts and keep hitting.

Will this mod affect frame rate in any way?

The cloud textures are of a better quality than the original so the textures sizes are larger. I'm sure it will have an impact. I don't think it would be much. I haven't tested it for fps. It's up to you to give it a try and compare it with what you have. It works well on my system, core i3 3.6ghz, gtx760 2gig gpu and 8gig of ram.

Hi R,
    Many thanks for the cloud tex set. Tried them, and yes, very nice and white, good look and no hit on FR's, which is great.

I don't know if you have noticed but you've done only 34 texs, when there are actually 40 cloud tex in CFS2. Now, if there aren't any that match those, you could use and rename one of the others, but as the basic cloud textures are so pink and basic, you would see a difference.

Cheers

Shessi

p.s How are the ground texs going?

Icon22 Reply...

Rince33,

Thank you, I will be sure to check these out this week!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Hello Rince, thanks for the cloud package. It looks very nice. I have tested it over Pearl

Cldcn6.bmp was missing from the mod, Thanks Shessi for spotting it and bringing it to my attention. There are four low altitude overcast cloud textures(thunderstorm,freeflight) that you will see on take off that I decided did not need replacing. I will probably look at adding more detail to these using aris cloud texures a bit later.

In the late afternoon the clouds do appear darker and sometimes shadowed, this is due to the sim lighting effects.

Get Updated version here:http://www.mediafire.com/file/sxhviv...UD_MOD.7z/file

The ground textures are pretty much done. I'm busy re-texuring some german airfields in France. I'm not editing all british and french airfields for this release, just the main bob airfields. I will do further airfield edits and release them as updates as soon as possible. I hope to release the mod later this week.

Thanks all for the feedback so far.

Thanks again.

May I make a suggestion. Would be good to have the complete cloud set re-done and then you could upload them to the library. They do seem worth while, and worth the effort.

Look forward to the ground tex. Just a caveat with ground tex, they do have a hit on FR's, and if do not have mips, will lose the distance textures once over 5000-8000ft agl (depending on viewing distance settings).

Cheers

Shessi

What is the process involved in uploading to the library?

Wasn't aware of the mipmaps effect. Thanks for this valuable info. I notice that textures tend to blur at a certain distance, would this be because of an absence of mipmaps, if not can this be adjusted somehow.

I was going to provide a high(512) and low res(256) version.

Distance blurriness is not so much of a prob, depends how far away that happens. As at far distance it helps blending, closer and is not nice.

The main prob of no mipmaps is that this simple sim wants to render the lower res mipmap in the distance. And if there aren't any, it will not render anything, so you get the distant green blocks on land and blue blocks at sea. The blurriness will be the same thing, but instead of not rendering anything it seems to lose focus of the tex, and you get blurriness (mid distance).

If you do a search on the subject in this CFS2 forum, you'll get more info, and be able to contact people in the know. Maskrider is a guru mud-mover, he may be able to define info, also Bearcat has very good CFS2 knowledge.

As for uploading, very easy. Go to Warbirds Library (tag at top of page), then at top of that page where it says Warbirds in swirly writing, just below this is 'upload'. Click that. You then go to the upload page...then READ through the whole page first, to understand what's wanted at each stage. Fill in with info, and picture and file location to upload. When page completed, scroll to bottom of page , to LHS, and click on submit...there ya go!

If you cock it up, don't worry, as the very nice and ever helpful Rami can amend/delete the upload etc, so you can get it right.

Cheers

Shessi

I've noticed the mid distance blurriness, very irritating. I also get the light blue sea textures in the distance with the euro water on unlimited vis setting. I'll convert the euro water textures to dds and add mipmaps, hopefully that improves the distant water using the unlimited vis setting.

Thanks again Shessi.

All cloud textures are now replaced. The thunderstorm low altitude cloud has a bit more detail.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/avp4h..._MODv2.7z/file

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bandicam-2019-06-03-20-58-59-039.jpg  

Thank you very much rince33 . I look forward to installing your work sir.

Looking good.

The colours are very good. I've replaced my cloud texs many times over the years, so it's good to have choice and see something new/better.

As for .dds files, if that's how you start off creating and then convert to .bmp with DXTbmp.exe, you can miss that out by letting DXTbmp craete the mipmaps for you AND convert .bmp at the same time, see check box on main screen on RHS.

Re-land texs, I have a good set somewhere that manage to still render in the distance (no green blocks), but can't find them.....grrrr!!!. It's great having detailed land tex, but would trade some of that detail for distance rendering...so if you can do both...I think a lot of people would be grateful.

Shessi

Looks good! Thank you man.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Thanks again guys for the feedback and Shessi for his advice.

The DXTbmp mipmaps checkbox on the right is set to include mipmaps when saving by default. At least all work done so far was saved with mipmaps, bit of a relief.

I noticed on unlimited viz when you reach 10000ft it's like a switch is thrown and the green and blue distant colours appear.This happens with the original and new terrain. I read a post about this that seems to indicate that this is a sim engine limitation that can only be overcome by reducing visibility. this is a great post that addresses the issue.http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...isual-renderer

No Dice's post#14 looks interesting, will probably give this a try.

OK, so there must have been something wrong with my old cloud textures. They looked OK but sometimes if you flew through them they were like 2d sheets of paper. These new cloud textures look incredible and my FPS has almost doubled!!! Thanks so much for your work.

I'm glad they are working well for you.

Thanks for the cloud set, they look very nice.

Members who have read this thread: 4