Computer Memory Problem

Thread: Computer Memory Problem

Computer Memory Problem

Specifically, the message says "Your Computer has run out of available memory, restart the Sim and choose different graphic settings". This only happens in FSX (currently), I'm checking P3D and X-Plane to see if those fail as well. Hoping this isn't a harbinger of worse problems.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

This is a bit surprising considering the fact that you already got 16 GB of RAM on your computer...
    However, how is your "virtual memory" set ?
    If it's set to the default "let windows handle it", then you might run into this kind of problems.
    Best is to set the virtual memory to a fix size (minimum = maximum), equal to your amount of RAM (16 GB in your case, but you can start with 8 Gb instead and see how it goes).
    Be aware this will create a 16 GB file on one of your hardrives...

Even if Falcon has 16 GB of RAM, FSX will only use 4 Gb of it. Enlarging the pagefile (virtual memory) is indeed a good proposal.

Priller

Currently set as follows:
    Min. 16MB
    Recommended 2943
    Currently Allocated 1024

to do a custom setting it requires an "Initial Size" and a "Maximum size"

Current System Specs:

This was one of key reasons I dropped FSX for P3D 64 bit. OOM's are an inherent unresolved issue with FSX which do not happen ever for me now using P3Dv4.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Seek out Large Address Aware which may/should help.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-aware.112556/
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Currently set as follows:
    Min. 16MB
    Recommended 2943
    Currently Allocated 1024

to do a custom setting it requires an "Initial Size" and a "Maximum size"
    Set both the "initial" and the "maximum" to 8192, click on the button "define" nearby, and confirm everything.
    If that does not solve the problem, then it means it's not related to memory, but rather a bug in the AI traffic or a scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Set both the "initial" and the "maximum" to 8192, click on the button "define" nearby, and confirm everything.
    If that does not solve the problem, then it means it's not related to memory, but rather a bug in the AI traffic or a scenery.
    Thanks Daube. I am testing an assumption on what is actually causing the problem. It only seems to occur when one aircraft is in use (a recent payware purchase). I am going to uninstall and then reinstall and test again. I'm hoping there might have been a glitch during the installation and this will fix it.

Current System Specs:

As odd as this may sound it was the Cessna 140. I don't know how or why, but the out of memory problem only showed itself if I was flying the 140. within a few minutes of loading the airplane I would get a default sound warning me that a shutdown was imminent. . .If I did nothing and continued to fly, I would get an error message that my computer was out of available memory and it would close the sim. However if I switched to any other airplane when that sound was ringing, the sound would stop and no message appeared and I could complete the flight unscathed. I tested a number of times and the results were always the same. I uninstalled the 140 cleared all reference to it, defraged, rebooted and reinstalled the 140. Thus far, no repeat of the OOM problem.

Just for the record, this was the first time, since I installed FSX/Accel many, many, many years ago that I had an OOM shutdown. Regardless of scenery, aircraft, other utilities added over time, or problems others had with OOM problems, I was never bothered by this until now.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    As odd as this may sound it was the Cessna 140. I don't know how or why, but the out of memory problem only showed itself if I was flying the 140. within a few minutes of loading the airplane I would get a default sound warning me that a shutdown was imminent. . .If I did nothing and continued to fly, I would get an error message that my computer was out of available memory and it would close the sim. However if I switched to any other airplane when that sound was ringing, the sound would stop and no message appeared and I could complete the flight unscathed. I tested a number of times and the results were always the same. I uninstalled the 140 cleared all reference to it, defraged, rebooted and reinstalled the 140. Thus far, no repeat of the OOM problem.

Just for the record, this was the first time, since I installed FSX/Accel many, many, many years ago that I had an OOM shutdown. Regardless of scenery, aircraft, other utilities added over time, or problems others had with OOM problems, I was never bothered by this until now.
    Falcon, just curious are you using DirectX 10 preview mode? I was having OOM issues with a couple of aircraft and a very detailed scenery and accidently tried using preview and it fixed the problem.

I went to the Aeroplane Heaven website and checked the recommended computer specs for the Cessna 140. It does not look like it should be a complex nor system demanding add on, but this one line in the system requirements caught my eye.

Ram : Minimum 2 + GB RAM (free)

Unless I'm mistaken, they are recommending that your system have a minimum of 2GB, and preferably more, of RAM that is unused by anything else. That's a lot for a single engine aircraft with simple instruments and avionics. I'm guessing that with FSX being a 32-bit program and being able to address no more than 4GB of RAM, this little add on is going to act like a PMDG 747 when it comes to RAM. It is also possible that a gauge for the C140 has a memory leak issue and is eating up the available 4 GB of RAM in FSX.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Members who have read this thread: 0