Catalina for Collings.

Thread: Catalina for Collings.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

Catalina for Collings.

So sad to see her leave, but rules and regulations made the exploitation of this old gal impossible. At least she has found a good home...

https://www.collingsfoundation.org/2...o-2459-begins/
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

It a pity but it is far too easy to blame it just on the rules and regulations. The people who maintained this aircraft are nearly all former Royal Navy Technicians and most/all of them are on the mature side of 70. It proved to be very difficult to find qualified volunteers, who could maintain the Catalina, outside this former navy group. And where the Dutch Royal Air Force Historic flight foundation has full support from the Royal Netherlands Air Force, the Royal Netherlands Navy wasn't interested in the Catalina at all. Without their support it was hardly possible to maintain the Catalina in flying condition.

Its sad to see such a beautiful aircraft go, but I think the Catalina group did wise to sell it to the Collins foundation. At least they are sure the aircraft will be looked after very well and will be kept in flying condition. And according to the opinion of the person from the Catalina foundation I spoke with: "Due to its remarkable service history during the war, this particular Catalina really belongs in the US".
    In another thread SH427, who works for the Collins foundation, told us that the PH-PBY will be restored in wartime configuration.

Cheers,
    Huub

You're right ferry, shame 'your' Cat has to leave home.
    I can imagine the disappointment the families of her original crew must be feeling, very few (if any) RAAF 'Catalina Club' members remain here, but the families carry on their tradition.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I always find it sad when a WW II era aircraft leaves the U.S. for a new owner on foreign soil, so I understand the sentiment. Rest assured that this PBY will not end up being poorly maintained or given some fictitious or wildly inaccurate paint scheme. The Collings Foundation has a long history of making incredibly accurate restorations of aircraft. It will take time, but she will emerge as a very accurate, WW II PBY-5A and a flying museum.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

111 knots indicated on that one photo that is blazing fast for a Cat!
    Somewhere in back, Scotty is screaming "She canna' take any more captain"

Very sorry to see this aircraft leave for the USA. I remember the two-ship displays she did with Plane Sailing's PBY-5A at Duxford. It was quite a sight to see. At least she's gone to a responsible owner, and will be well cared for.

Members who have read this thread: 0