The Kai Tak Avro

Thread: The Kai Tak Avro

The Kai Tak Avro

Ok, so the photo is a 626; but that's not here yet ...

this is my version ; using Nigel's Tutor.

Been able to find out out that the Hong Kong Volunteer Defence Corps air unit had one Avro Tutor (generic name, may have been a 626 model) on loan to them from RAF surplus stocks when Japan invaded Hong Kong on 8th Dec 1941 , as well as 2 Dh Hornet / Puss Moths, and 2 Avro Cadets. The latter belonging to the Far East Flying School.

http://www.hongkongwardiary.com/sear...son/hkvdc.html

Also in the records is that the air unit were mainly comprised of the instructors from the Flying School, and the school shared facilities with RAF at Kai Tak, all very cosy , and the Flying school painted their aeroplanes in 'School colours'.

Its' not a huge leap to think that the Flying School also had custodianship of the Tutor , and to identify it as no longer belonging to RAF also painted that in their school colours of red and blue. Try as I may I have been unable to find a civil registration allocated to this machine , so presumably , being the only one in the air unit , it had neither civil nor military marks.

May or may not tweek the textures a little more.

Comments welcome

ttfn

Pete

Blog Entries
    That's a very attractive color scheme Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane91 View Post
    That's a very attractive color scheme Pete.
    Thanks. Getting the stripe to line up was a pain...

Anyways, bit more background info, the Far East Flying School was an associate company of Far East Aviation, the Avro dealer/supplier to China and Far East, all the Avro's going to China passed through their workshops, and Chinese govt pilots were trained at the School.

Ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Thanks. Getting the stripe to line up was a pain...

Anyways, bit more background info, the Far East Flying School was an associate company of Far East Aviation, the Avro dealer/supplier to China and Far East, all the Avro's going to China passed through their workshops, and Chinese govt pilots were trained at the School.

Ttfn

Pete
    Here is a little piece of introduction to the background of the Far East Flying School, and of course the Avro is included for your reference.
    https://www.pland.gov.hk/pland_en/p_...ssociation.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by fongman_52 View Post
    Here is a little piece of introduction to the background of the Far East Flying School, and of course the Avro is included for your reference.
    https://www.pland.gov.hk/pland_en/p_...ssociation.pdf
    Thanks, I already had copy of that.

Ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 0