Report: Possible F4/5 Tornado at Wright-Patterson AFB

Thread: Report: Possible F4/5 Tornado at Wright-Patterson AFB

Report: Possible F4/5 Tornado at Wright-Patterson AFB

Just heard the not so good news a little while ago that a pair of large tornadoes (possibly F4 or F5 level) may have struck both the Air Force Museum and major parts of Wright-Patterson AFB. The weather radar data in fact shows a very large debris cloud right over the area of the Museum and also Main Base. One unconfirmed report says the Museum was hit and is a total loss but again, that's not yet confirmed. It won't be until daylight hours that the damage will be truly known and the bigger concern of course what the loss of life might be considering the high population density of the area. The tornadoes at last report were still on the ground moving north east.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Short update, I have spoken directly with one person who was 1/4 mile away from the base and he said it appeared the base wide area was hit. At the time of the hit, he said a lot of debris was in the air and coming down on top of structures/houses and roadways in the area. Photos from Emergency Services and Law Enforcement in the area was not encouraging either. It's bad, very bad. I just hope that the loss of life is minimal or none but it's too early to tell. I have a bad feeling about it. Been through multiple tornadoes in my lifetime, there is nothing so frightening nor devastating.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wright-Patterson AFB reports this morning that the Base is open for normal operations. About 150 homes in the Prairies Housing Area were damaged, some significantly. The Museum is reporting that the Early Years Gallery is temporarily closed for repairs.

They just reported this news: The National Museum of the U.S. Air Force “experienced minor damage with the exception of one section of the hangar in the early years gallery, No static aircraft nor artifacts were damaged.".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    That’s great news. Planning on visiting this summer. Last time I was there was about 25 years ago.

I've been to the Dayton area four times over the past four years (Dayton Hamvention now in Xenia, OH), but still haven't set aside any time to visit the museum!

I think next year I'll delay my departure for a few days to go visit there!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

It's been a pretty active "tornado season" so far this year...!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    It's been a pretty active "tornado season" so far this year...!
    Yes, compared to last year when it was the first year since 1950 that there were no EF4 or 5 Tornadoes and the least Tornado deaths since then as well.

The damage from the back to back tornadoes in Dayton and surrounding area is bad but fortunately the death and injury toll was very low which is a miracle. Still, I am very sorry for those affected. Am still recovering from my damage from Hurricane Florence last Sept (many still are).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 0