Monaco...

Thread: Monaco...

Lightbulb Monaco...

- Looks like LeClerc is at the same learning stage that Max was at a few years ago.
    - Incredible drive by Lewis to hold off Max
    - Gotta feel bad for Kimi

The rest - typical Monaco....

I recorded it but it appeared to be the same old boring Monaco.
    Probably give it a miss.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    If you haen't seen the result, it was quite an exciting to watch..
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

I have mixed feelings about the Red Bull/Mercedes pit incident. Valeri Bottas was already slowing down the field at the track, so he could pit immediately after Lewis Hamilton. As he lost some additional time in the pits, Red Bull was able to release Max Verstappen half a car length in front of Valeri. Red Bull simply didn't have another option than release the car, as the only alternative would have been to join at the end of the line, as due to the Mercedes delay, Sebastian Vettel was already in Valeri's gearbox with the rest of the field behind it. So this would have brought Max Verstappen in 8th or 9th position (and we all know what that means at Monaco....).

This is most likely the reason why they "only" gave him 5 seconds time penalty instead of the normal drive though. Kharma did the rest and "punished" Mercedes/Valteri Bottas .

Cheers,
    Huub

I find it interesting that all the Honda naysayers seem to have crept back under their rocks!
    Both RBR cars are showing plenty of pace and reliability while both STR cars are following suit!
    I did flick through my recording after all, loved the 'divebombing' by LeClerc on the HAAS, impressed with the cool driving of MV and Gasly nailing the fastest lap point.
    However (there's always one) IMHO the only open wheel racing at Monaco should be F3, I caught one F2 race and it was a complete shambles while today's EffWun cars are just too big.
    That aside, watching the MotoGP Ducati clocking over 350K down the front straight at Imola colours one's perspective.

Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    I find it interesting that all the Honda naysayers seem to have crept back under their rocks!
    Both RBR cars are showing plenty of pace and reliability while both STR cars are following suit!
    Well, Monaco does not require a powerful engine. The performance shown here by RB and TR is probably more due to their good chassis.

The real test for engines will be Monza.

From what I understood is torque at the lower rpms is one of the major problems of the Honda engines. When I saw Hamiliton's Mercedes depart form Verstappen's Red Bull I think these comments might be correct.
    I don't expect much from Monza. Mercedes will drive 10 seconds ahead of the rest, followed by Ferrari as they should have enough power to stay in front of Red Bulls here. And poor Robert Kubica will be the first to be lapped.......

But next weekend the MotoGP will visit Italy. I hope for a Ducati win

Cheers,
    Huub

Icon2

The engine 'unknown' IMHO is Renault.
    Last year's factory Renault team was middle of the pack and now with RBR gone, it's difficult to gauge where the Renault engine sits.

Sainz in the McLaren/Renault sits 7th in the points. McLaren was another mid-pack team last year. So there's a chance that the Renault engine has more HP than Honda but with no "worthy" team now to show it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Roxane-21 View Post
    Well, Monaco does not require a powerful engine. The performance shown here by RB and TR is probably more due to their good chassis.

The real test for engines will be Monza.
    Honda have performed way above their previous seasons in ALL rounds so far this year.
    Both RBR and STR are outperforming 'customer' Mercedes and Ferrari powered teams, as well as the Renault works cars and McLaren.
    Of course the Benz and Ferrari works teams should be expected to out run the rest at a circuit like Monza, equally the Honda detractors should simply (or grudgingly!) give credit where it's due.

Re MotoGP, Imola will be well worth watching Huub, it's the Ducati 'home' circuit, with Dovi being clocked at 350+K last year they have the advantage.
    Being rather partisan, I'm hoping for a Miller podium and a Petrucio win.

Re MotoGP, Imola will be well worth watching Huub, it's the Ducati 'home' circuit, with Dovi being clocked at 350+K last year they have the advantage.
    Being rather partisan, I'm hoping for a Miller podium and a Petrucio win.
    At Le Mans I had the impression that Petrucci was faster than Dovi, but that he allowed the number 1 rider of the team the win. As Petrucci (like Miller) has just a one year contract he might want to keep his employer happy
    (And obviously he did as suddenly Ducati is much more positive about Petrucci...)

Cheers,
    Huub

Icon2

Honda have performed way above their previous seasons in ALL rounds so far this year.
    As long as they've been around now - this should be their bottom line expectation with a front line team like RBR.

Ed, considering 'Mercedes Benz' started in 'EffWun' around 1990/1991 with Sauber, March (Leyton House) then with McLaren in 1996, followed by the season with Brawn which became the present Mercedes-Benz factory team,
    one would have to say that Honda are doing really well, as it's not just RBR that is at the sharp end, STR are consistently ahead of most of the rest, including the underwhelming Renault Factory effort.
    Renault are demonstrating (once again) exactly why they should remain an engine supplier.

Ed, considering 'Mercedes Benz' started in 'EffWun' around 1990/1991 with Sauber, March (Leyton House) then with McLaren in 1996, followed by the season with Brawn which became the present Mercedes-Benz factory team,
    one would have to say that Honda are doing really well, as it's not just RBR that is at the sharp end, STR are consistently ahead of most of the rest, including the underwhelming Renault Factory effort.
    Renault are demonstrating (once again) exactly why they should remain an engine supplier.
    Wombat,
    If you're telling me the Honda should NOT have come into 2019/2020 with the goal of doing better than their previous seasons - then I'm going to say that's ridiculous and they would not set a lower goal than this.

I think you've missed my point Ed.

After what, 4 years or so of constant negative comments from the 'Effwun Unwashed Fanboys' re Honda, suddenly there is little if any positive comments.
    I'm not including our little circle in that group, but I feel annoyed when certain people come up with Honda are only doing well because they are on board with a really good team.
    Honda may be short on sheer grunt compared to MB and Ferrari but none of that pair have much to crow about when it comes to their 'customer' teams, whereas both Honda powered outfits are well ahead.
    Renault should return to being an engine supplier, if McLaren can give the factory outfit the short back and sides something is lacking.
    I can't recall seeing Hulkenberg perform so badly while Daniel Ric has only managed to finish a couple of rounds barely in the points.
    Honda appear to have found the right spot and I'm annoyed that they get little or no kudos for it.

I know what I mean.........sort of!
    As for Honda Power, watching their current MotoGP bike out accelerate the Ducatis shows their understanding of 'Power'.

Members who have read this thread: 0