Windows 7 support ending next year

Thread: Windows 7 support ending next year

Windows 7 support ending next year

This notice appeared on my PC yesterday; "After 10 years, support for Windows 7 is coming to an end on January 14, 2020" I knew this was coming so I'm hoping for a windows 11? They seem to have better luck with odd number systems though 11 seems just a rumor as they say the next OS will be less PC and more App structured. Think I'll plan to keep what I have for FS and figure on getting whatever is coming out around Christmas for everything else. The video that MS attaches to the announcement to me sort of misses the mark a bit. Would that new computer systems were as generally adaptable and reliable as a new couch or wallet, right?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...n7_app_omc_win
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Members +
    Windows 10 is the new Windows 11, 12 13 etc.

With its updates, that adds more features as time goes on, it will always be the latest operating system, with no Windows 10.
    So we have just had an update from Windows 10 version 1803 to 1903 & contrary to comments, Windows 10 works very well with our sims.

Yeah, if you want a computer that acts like a cell phone.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Windows 10 doesn't work well with some of my older sims. Know and like the file structure of Win7 better. Will have a computer for my sims and one for going online and other stuff.Just when i got everything up and running smoothly they want to change things.They got to do something to make more money.

I have a Win7 machine currently, there may be a way to keep Win7 up and safe IF... Norton/Symantec continues to support it. If so, I can continue to run the Symantec Firewall and receive updates for the Norton Internet Securities and Antivirus Suite. If not, then I'm relegated to a Win10 machine if I wish to continue with M$. Just a thought.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

No problems with Windows 10 whatsoever. In fact, I find that my sim (Prepar3D v4.5) runs smoother with 10 than with 7!

I just did a clean reinstall of my rig with the latest build of Windows 10, and I'm very happy with it.

Priller

From what I have seen and heard, people who upgraded an older version of Windows to Windows 10 experience problems. Those who start with a blank C drive and install only Windows 10 have a much better experience.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I doubt the lack of Microcrud 'Support' for W7 will deter many users to throw up their hands and rush off to load W10.
    And for various services such as AV, many still cover XP, W7, W8 as well as W10.
    As I have a complete new build on the way but that's a few months off, I might even consider a first up install of W10 just as a trial exercise.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

WinXP takes a licikin' and keeps on tickin'
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    From what I have seen and heard, people who upgraded an older version of Windows to Windows 10 experience problems. Those who start with a blank C drive and install only Windows 10 have a much better experience.
    I disagree with that, if I may..
    I've upgraded both from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, without any issues at all, running FS2004, FSX & P3D, perfectly after the upgrade on both PC's.

Regards,
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    I disagree with that, if I may..
    I've upgraded both from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, without any issues at all, running FS2004, FSX & P3D, perfectly after the upgrade on both PC's.

Regards,
    Robin
    You're one of the lucky ones, Robin. I know several folks with Win7 machines that many issues during the "Get Windows 10" push my Microsoft, when Windows 10 was a "free" but automatic update. My brother is an HVAC Engineer that used a Win7 PC to run a $3500 plotter for his business. Overnight the "Get Windows 10" update ran on that PC and not only messed up the computer, but wiped out the software for the plotter.

I was able to get the PC to run the new Windows 10, somewhat... but the plotter wouldn't work with the new OS. We contacted both Microsoft and the manufacturer of the plotter to try to get a work around but to no end. SOOO I found another Win7 PC and eventually we got the plotter up and going. Overall my bro lost 2 weeks of time between the Windows 10 upgrade and the "newer" Win7 PC install. Just sayin'. Someone told me that Intel processors worked better with the Windows 10 upgrade than AMD processors. I wouldn't know for sure.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

I will not deny that some older software may not work anymore with Windows10.
    However, that's about it. For our sims, there just not a single problem at all.

I have upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10. It worked without problems, I just had to update some of my hardware drivers.
    And that upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 was nothing; I made even worse later on: I transferred my hardrives directly from my old computer to the new one without even reinstalling Windows. I just plugged the disks in the new PC and turned it on for the first time.
    And guess what ? After updating a few drivers, it worked just fine.

I understand some people are afraid or dislike the change. Some people don't want to loose some old programs they are using and that's fine. But the amount of false information in that topic is scary.
    Windows 10 making your computer like a cellphone, really ? My Windows 10 looks and works exactly like my Windows 7 did. The new control panel looks a bit different but I can still call the old one, and the settings are almost the same. And yes, you can still disable the user account control just like in Windows 7, from the same menu, with the same effects.

Ah yes, a bit of negativity:
    1- the Start menu does not look at it used to look. But I'm too lazy to download and install a 'Windows7-like' shell, so the Windows10 one will do.
    2- I have trouble preventing Windows Update from downloading updates automatically, yes. I actually gave up to try to disable it... But since I haven't suffered from any issue so far, I won't complain about that.

Cell phones have "apps". Computers have "programs". So yeah, cell phone like behavior.
    Sue

Members who have read this thread: 0