Starting MAAM-SIM DC-3 in FSX

Thread: Starting MAAM-SIM DC-3 in FSX

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

Starting MAAM-SIM DC-3 in FSX

I've run into an issue - hopefully minor - with the MAAM-SIM DC-3 in FSX. Setting up a flight using the aircraft results in the flight beginning on the ramp with the engines turning over. Shutting down one or both engines, in an attempt to start the flight from the absolute basics, results in an inability to start either engine. Even "shift + e" does not work. They used to run just fine until yesterday when I installed new "spinprop" files into them - advertised as being compatible with FSX. How could something like that affect so basic a function as engine start?

It shouldn't. Updating texture files have no impact on aircraft operation.

It sounds like something has changed in your default flight. Best way to analyze what is going on is to start with another aircraft making note of the startup state, then switching over to the DC-3.

It's been awhile since I flew mine but I recall that I had to follow the startup procedures to start the engines because Ctrl+E didn't activate all the systems.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Kinda hard to start that thing by the checklist when I couldn't see a way to bring it up in the sim. Getting mighty tired of this. MJ's DC-3 is a dream to work with, ground handling is wonderful and you can use proper procedure to start it up with no problems. After this mess broke I called it up in the sim, shut it down by leaning it out, then cutting magnetos, pulling throttles all the way back, and shutting off the master ignition plus the battery. Started up again just fine. In contrast the MAAM-SIM DC-3 seems to be like a pig, and not just in its ground handling but in this engine startup stuff as well. To my memory it was NEVER this hard to start up. I wonder if I were to just take all key/joystick assignments back to default, then go through the business of re-selecting all keys for their functions as I have them now. Good gosh almighty but this can be frustrating at times!

Modern VC

If you want to get up to date, there is a modern VC for MJ's C-47 which I am using for my Southern Airways in FSX and it works perfectly. MAAM-SIM was super in FS9 but it seems FSX doesn't want to "play nice".

What you are describing was a known issue with this aircraft in FS9. Are you using this plane as written for FSX or is it a port-over? The FS9 problem was related to a sound file missing in the Modules section of of the Config. file, IIRC. The frame rates had to be set at 30 fps or less. MAAM-SIM was apparently unable to fix the problem permanently.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    There were some updates for FSX the last time I looked on the MAAM-SIM website. Do you think installation of those FSX updates might fix this problem?

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    If you want to get up to date, there is a modern VC for MJ's C-47 which I am using for my Southern Airways in FSX and it works perfectly. MAAM-SIM was super in FS9 but it seems FSX doesn't want to "play nice".
    This is the modern C-47 cockpit with the round magneto switches on the left side above the pilot's seat?

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    What you are describing was a known issue with this aircraft in FS9. Are you using this plane as written for FSX or is it a port-over? The FS9 problem was related to a sound file missing in the Modules section of of the Config. file, IIRC. The frame rates had to be set at 30 fps or less. MAAM-SIM was apparently unable to fix the problem permanently.
    Do you have any info re: the missing sound file?

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I've tried to get that file to transfer over with no success.

FSX/P3D Modern VC (MVC) for Douglas C-47 V3.zip

It took some lookin' but I found this and its here in our library with two stand-alone models for the C-47/DC3 V3 by the MJ team. Other textures will work with the Piedmont version (like the Southern Airways) so you can have whatever you want to fly. Personally, I would switch to this instead of the MAAM-SIM and as they say stop beating a dead horse. Just my "tuppence".

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Makes sense. Let me look into this.

IIRC..Shift-E "may" work..... sometimes.
    The proper way to auto start is to open up the extensive control window (Shift-3?, 4?) and at the top is a toggle with a tooltip that says - "Use water rudder as autostart" or something like that.
    Click that to activate.
    Use the stock water rudder command (CTRL-W) to auto start.
    Only then will all the sub systems initialize properly and then she will start.

Sorry - can't look for specifics, currently in the air, AVRO 621 style
    Roman

Quote Originally Posted by spokes2112 View Post
    IIRC..Shift-E "may" work..... sometimes.
    Watch out if you use that command! Ya might fall out the open door
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    It took some lookin' but I found this and its here in our library with two stand-alone models for the C-47/DC3 V3 by the MJ team. Other textures will work with the Piedmont version (like the Southern Airways) so you can have whatever you want to fly. Personally, I would switch to this instead of the MAAM-SIM and as they say stop beating a dead horse. Just my "tuppence".

Downloading it as I write this.

Hate beating the dead horse. What I hate more is a computer program that's beating me! I don't care for being stymied; I guess if I did I would never have gotten as far in life as I have. At any rate, I'll install this one, looking forward to it if it's like any of Manfred's other C-47s.

Members who have read this thread: 1