New USAAF documentary film: The Cold Blue

Thread: New USAAF documentary film: The Cold Blue

New USAAF documentary film: The Cold Blue

The Cold Blue, a restored version of the William Wyler WWII footage that became the documentary about the "Memphis Belle", premiered last night in big screen movie theaters. This footage, which was originally recorded without sound, was reprocessed in a way that returned the film to natural color and removed the defects from 75 years of storage and deterioration. A complete sound track was created that brings authentic aircraft and flight / combat sounds to each each scene, interspersed with commentary and interviews from six B-17 veteran aviators, who range from 92 to 98 years of age. One of those veterans tragically died during a P-51 ride in Texas, just this past November. The new motion picture is dedicated to him on behalf of the thousands of heroes who made the ultimate sacrifice in wartime.

For those of us who are interested in flight simulation, The Cold Blue serves as a reference for how it was to fly the B-17 on ten-hour missions in sub-zero temperatures, breathing oxygen through a frozen face-mask; flak shells bursting everywhere. The movie is destined for television, I believe HBO. It was impressive on the big screen, but will be welcome on your home TV. It is an important part of the warbird legacy.

Note: As I write this, a flight of five A-10 Warthogs has orbited my house several times. Probably a part of the Indianapolis 500 activities, here this week.

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    The Cold Blue, a restored version of the William Wyler WWII footage that became the documentary about the "Memphis Belle", premiered last night in big screen movie theaters. This footage, which was originally recorded without sound, was reprocessed in a way that returned the film to natural color and removed the defects from 75 years of storage and deterioration. A complete sound track was created that brings authentic aircraft and flight / combat sounds to each each scene, interspersed with commentary and interviews from six B-17 veteran aviators, who range from 92 to 98 years of age. One of those veterans tragically died during a P-51 ride in Texas, just this past November. The new motion picture is dedicated to him on behalf of the thousands of heroes who made the ultimate sacrifice in wartime.

For those of us who are interested in flight simulation, The Cold Blue serves as a reference for how it was to fly the B-17 on ten-hour missions in sub-zero temperatures, breathing oxygen through a frozen face-mask; flak shells bursting everywhere. The movie is destined for television, I believe HBO. It was impressive on the big screen, but will be welcome on your home TV. It is an important part of the warbird legacy.

Note: As I write this, a flight of five A-10 Warthogs has orbited my house several times. Probably a part of the Indianapolis 500 activities, here this week.
    I'm bumming I missed it in the theaters. For those wondering, it debuts on June 6th across HBO, on the 75th anniversary of the Normandy landings.

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    There will be a USAF Heritage Flight flyover at the Indianapolis 500, featuring an A-10, F-16, Jim Beasley's P-51D "Bald Eagle", and the Cavanaugh Flight Museum's P-40N.

With regard to "The Cold Blue" documentary, I was bummed that there weren't any theaters close to home to see it (and it was only a one night showing across the US). I'm hoping that it will eventually be able to be purchased on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Here are a couple of the trailers for the film:

https://www.vulcanproductions.com/our-work/thecoldblue/
    https://vimeo.com/271938572
    https://www.flightjournal.com/the-cold-blue/

The soundtrack is on iTunes now so it will probably be released digitally there at some point. They did the same for THEY SHALL NEVER GROW OLD (which is an excellent WW1 documentary by Peter Jackson) also on Blu-Ray now.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Members who have read this thread: 1