Both are Good
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Both are Good

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries

Both are Good

How many of you still play CFS2 ? Just a few months ago i got back into CFS2 and found out that i really missed it.Lots of stuff for it and there are new and reworked aircraft and scenery being released all the time.Like it better than what IL-2 '46 or CFS3 has to offer in the Pacific War. While CFS3 has it beat in scenery and AI ,CFS2 has it's benefits too and it is easy on your pc performance. Just wanted to know how others felt about this earlier sim. Regards,Scott

SOH-CM-2020
    haven't tried it for ages. It would be great if Ankor's shaders or a variant of them would upgrade the visuals of CFS2

Personally I don't play CFS2 that much do to the lack of a dynamic campaign, as well as my preference for the look and feel of CFS3, but I agree that it's worth having both. I've been meaning to see about getting into it more, as right now I only have a unmodded install, and CFS1 in CFS2, but I know there's theaters that are either better covered, or flat out aren't available in CFS3.

Blog Entries
    Got into modding CFS2 and there is a ton of stuff available for it. It's very addictive though.

I've had CFS3 eto installed on my pc for years and recently got back into CFS2 after a long absence. I must say I prefer CFS2 to CFS3. In spite of Ankors brilliant work I prefer the lighting and atmosphere of CFS2 It may be my imagination but the ai seems less predictable as well. I'm predominantly a BoB era fan and Cfs2 with Rami's Bob package install really satisfies my interest in that direction. I'm so motivated by the sim that I'm currently working on an english summer terrain mod to be used with the Bob package.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bandicam-2019-05-23-12-00-07-373.jpg  

I love cfs2 as well. Plenty of great aircraft and mods for it.

i like both and i agree that cfs2 had better atmosphere feels and they have tons good planes model and ships, just lack of shader and low res ground texture...im using payware clouds in cfs2 and its looks more pretty. both cfs2 & cfs3 is a must have for me.

@rence
    looks familiar with your scenery texture..

I do like that scenery, Rince! I hope you'll release it in due course. I do still fiddle round with CFS2, and I've just figured out how to get it looking a bit better by using my video card settings to over-ride the game settings. You'll all have been there long before me. But one thing that drives me mental is the too many aircraft bug. Has anybody fixed it? I love to have as many different aircraft as possible, and I don't suppose I'm the only one. If anyone has downloaded any of our CFS3 aircraft sets, they'll understand the problem...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Blog Entries
    There is no real fix for the too many aircraft problem except there is a program that has hangers that store aircraft you are not using and can switch out aircraft as needed to keep the number down below 90. Not the best fix but it works for me. You can also run different installs for different theaters and time periods,this also helps. Regards,Scott

acman is the easiest way around the 90 aircraft limit. Makes it simple swapping aircraft in and out of the game.

acman? Is that like JSGME?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Blog Entries
    Kinda like. It moves aircraft from the sim and places them into folders called hangers. They can be moved back and forth. Enabled or removed. Very simple program.

ndicki,I will be releasing it very soon, just some airfield re-texturing to complete. I'm also creating a cloud mod for cfs2 that incorporates Aris's excellent cloud textures. cfs2 screenshot below:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bandicam-2019-05-26-19-17-56-873.jpg  
    Last edited by rince33; May 27th, 2019 at 09:59.

@rince
    seems you're succesfully adapt the ground texture in cfs2, will u release it too along with clouds? nice job rince!

Blog Entries
    Haven't installed Rami's BoB package yet,but sounds interesting as i'm very interested in that era of WWII. Will need to make a separate install just for the BoB. Your textures and clouds will be a nice addition. Right now i have only the PTO , but have everything downloaded to do the ETO ,just not enough time to spend on it yet. Using Rami's guide to installing the ETO in CFS2 so it shouldn't be too bad. Plus the people here at SOH in the CFS2 section are very helpful as they are here.Just got back into CFS2 a few months ago and really enjoying it. Along with CFS3,they are my favorite sims,even beating out IL-2 '46. Regards,Scott

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Kinda like. It moves aircraft from the sim and places them into folders called hangers. They can be moved back and forth. Enabled or removed. Very simple program.
    Is that the actual name of the ap as haven't found it on searches

Thanks. Now I wonder if it works in CFS3?

I haven't tried but it gave me the idea for ETO install to make a batch edit and 5 different aircraft folders for each era. Working on it now but have to check entry and leave date for the large number of aircraft I have in that install. theoretically a couple of batch files would do the job fro any install.

Quote Originally Posted by rince33 View Post

the original author of that program and many other that we as a community use every time we start cfs

Thanks Martin

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/index.htm

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    I haven't tried but it gave me the idea for ETO install to make a batch edit and 5 different aircraft folders for each era. Working on it now but have to check entry and leave date for the large number of aircraft I have in that install. theoretically a couple of batch files would do the job fro any install.
    Hi James,

One quick way to check the entry and exit dates for aircraft is to use the utility CaGen 1.2.xls. It requires Microsoft Excel though. I have uploaded the utility (just an Excel spreadsheet with a load of clever macros) here at SOH (under the utilities subsection...). There is also an earlier version that someone uploaded.

SOH-CM-2020

Aircraft_Spawns_1_4

I've had a rattle around in my utilities backup. There is a tool called "Aircraft_Spawns_1_4.exe" dated Jan 2005.

It says:

"CFS3 Aircrafts spawning Utility

Version 1.4 for usage with NEK_redux
    VB 6.0 runtime libraries required

-----------------------------------------

What the utility does:

searches for XDP files inside CFS3 AIRCRAFT folder and enables/disables spawning on the base of what you have chosen to do.
    At present you can select the nationality (this version is for NEK_redux) and date by month and year.
    You can check any of the 17 nationalities in NEK to spawn and any year and month from 1938 to 1946.
    Service dates (EnteredService and LeftService) are read from the XDP so you need to check that correct (historical) values have been entered there.
    Planes are enabled to spawn if current date is in between EnteredService and LeftService.

----------------------------------------

This program is written in Visual Basic to allow selectable airplane spawnings in Combat Flight Simulator 3.
    As you probably know a single instruction in the XDP file switches on/off the possibility of spawning for a selected airplane.
    The instruction is simply: AllowSpawn="y" or AllowSpawn="n".
    Since the number of planes in your current install is probably growing as time goes by, going to mod by hand this feature is just more and more annoying. This utility does that for you.

WARNING: since it goes modding your XDP files inside CFS3 AIRCRAFT folder be prepared to backup before usage and to accept the risk that something might not work as you wish."

-----------------------------------------

This tool offers an alternative for controlling which aircraft appear, without the need for MS Excel.

There is another program like acman, but its for ships, can use it the same way to keep your ship folder tidy, at Freeflight site also, called Shipman.

Members who have read this thread: 1