temperature settings in computer

Thread: temperature settings in computer

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

temperature settings in computer

This question is probably applicable in FS9, CFS, and any other number of sims but since I am in FSX almost exclusively, I wanted to post it here.

I'm getting what feels like a pretty fair amount of heat out the exhaust vent on the back of the desktop computer I have. There are two intake fans that are both running normally from what I can tell, one on the side and one in the rear below the exhaust vent. I'm running the machine with the cover open in front, which exposes air intake vents in the front of the machine and should help air flow through it. There are mesh screens behind these intake vents, I clean them regularly.

Over the video card I have a large cooling fan with multiple vanes in two banks. I can't read the brand name on it. Just putting this out for general illustrative purposes.

I get a slight amount of heat out the back of the machine when using it to access websites like SOH; doing this typing is causing this kind of slight heat. It heats up significantly when I am running FSX on the machine. Not enough to actually cause discomfort if I were to touch that exhaust vent in the rear, but enough to be noticeable.

There was a utility that was available at one time you could install on your machine that would tell you what operating temperatures were in various components. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of this utility, or is it already packed in Windows 7 Home Pro? I'd like to take some temp readings while I've got this thing fired up (figuratively speaking).

Current generation MoBo's usually come with all that information in the BIOS settings.
    One can monitor temperatures with options for setting speeds of individual fans.
    All quite straight forward.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I have found this tool quite handy for this purpose: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, I'm going to give it a try.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Running FSX (Gold) with the Virtavia F-105D over the Western US, 15-20,000 feet, no AI traffic and fair weather settings, the values for the video card were as follows for an approximately 1 hr 10 minute flight:

start of FSX, current temp 42/107, minimum temp 41/105, max temp 46/114

10 min into flight, current temp 57/134, minimum temp 41/105, max temp 60/140

20 min into flight, current temp 56/132, minimum temp 41/105, max temp 61/141

30 min into flight, current temp 57/134, minimum temp 41/105, max temp 63/145

-balance of readings were within 1C of these readings for duration of flight.

FSX shut down, on SOH, current temp 46/113, minimum 45/113, max temp 46/114

Info I saw last night indicated a max of 75C should be the most tolerated on a video card. May be one guy's opinion or maybe a consensus, don't know. At any rate I'm below that limit.

Members who have read this thread: 1