Clouds in P3D

Thread: Clouds in P3D

Clouds in P3D

I am thinking of experimenting a bit with the clouds in P3D, and have several folders of alternatives from FSX. Are P3D default the same ones as FSX? I am wondering about both whether my different ones will work, and whether, if I don't like them, my saved default FSX will be usable as a backstop.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

I think they are the same clouds, yes. But best solution would simply be to create a backup copy of your texture folder
    I like to use Winrar for this. With the context menus, I can simply right-click the texture folder, choose "add to texture.rar", and it will create an archive of that folder right there. Very easy to navigate inside and retrieve any files you might have lost or replaced.

In my P3Dv4.4, I still use the freeware clouds from the HDEv2.1 package, for example. That pack was made for FS9...

Thanks. It's the HDEv2 I was thinking of. 😀
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Thanks Daube and dhasdell for the Headsup. This is exactly what I was looking for as well. Screenshots look good as well.

Plus it doesnt really break the " must keep my simulator stock for testing purposes " or at least that is what I am saying

For those who read this and might want to give it a try: the HDEv2.1 pack is in fact the HDEv2" pack with a small modification: the sky textures got modified to become compatible with FSX and P3D.
    The original HDEv2 pack is made for FS9. While the clould textures are already compatible with FSX and P3D, the sky textures are not and will produce terrible graphic glitches.
    So FSX and P3D users, ensure you get the HDEv2.1, not the HDEv2.

Last remark: the cumulus clouds, which are all in one single file (cumulus.bmp if I remember correctly), are offered in multiple resolutions.
    I strongly encourage you to give a serious try to the medium resolution: 512x512 DXT3
    A resolution like 512x512 might sound extremely low to you, but I assure you it already gives very beautiful clouds (much, MUCH better than the default ones), and they are very light on the FPS, allowing you to push the cloud coverage and cloud draw distance further, resulting in a more pleasant weather rendering

Daube do you have a link to the version your using ?

I did a search for HDEv2.1 and it leads me here https://www.rikoooo.com/downloads/viewdownload/58/847
    I tried installing to a temp folder and the only option it gives are to install HD textures for Cumulas, Cirrus and Grass ,no mention of medium res textures so the ones it installs are 1024x1024.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

I'm afraid you're right...
    I just downloaded that same package you linked above and gave it a try: it won't give you any choice

Then the best solution would be to download the original HDEv2 and forget about the sky textures. That package can be found on most addon websites I think.

Anyone tried Rex4 with soft clouds?

It's payware, but the quality is outstanding. See here.

Dave

Soft clouds is probably the REX product I hate the most. The blurry clouds they advertised so much looked terrible to me.
    I used REX4 Texture Direct for a short while, as I wanted to try an "all in one" product.
    Unfortunately, I didn't like the clouds included inside. Some were looking really terrible. Some were looking quite good, but only in some situations.
    In the end, I uninstalled the REX clouds and reverted to the HDE ones.

Pretty much a matter of personal taste but I'm quite satisfied with the variety I can create with REX Skyforce.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Pretty much a matter of personal taste but I'm quite satisfied with the variety I can create with REX Skyforce.
    I got so close to pulling the trigger on skyforce. Baz has rex and I was amazed so thought to... but big deal breaker for me is no offline use.

See what I want was an application that would allow me to import themes and set up in a fairly visual manner the weather I wanted ( not necessarily real time ) offline. I think the old Rex can do offline but I dont think you can still buy it. I looked at all the other alternates and all seem to need online access. I'm odd, I like to keep my computer offline for as much as possible and when it is put online it is only for checks on licences.

Members who have read this thread: 0