... and the next Avro paint is ...
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: ... and the next Avro paint is ...

  1. #1

    ... and the next Avro paint is ...

    How about this?



    So another 'maybe' scheme for Nigel's Avro; this time dressed as allocated to Groupe Bretagne, Free French Forces, North Africa @ 1943.

    Maybe not so strange; we know that Greece had 60 Avro's in service when Greece was forced to enter WW2 , we know that some Greek planes escaped to North Africa (and were utilised with their crews ) as 335 thru 339 Sqn RAF; so here is a former Greek Avro Tutor;
    now allocated to Groupe Bretagne , for General Duties





    Comments welcome

    ttfn

    Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avro FreeFrench_1.jpg   Avro FreeFrench_2.jpg  
    Last edited by Motormouse; May 22nd, 2019 at 06:49.

  2. #2
    Like it Pete, that's certainly something different. Who knows, there may come a day when I fly something other than the Avro, no doubt about it, Nigel has certainly done a brilliant job.

  3. #3
    Senior Administrator huub vink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Noordwijk, The Netherlands (EHVB)
    Age
    60
    Posts
    7,290
    Nice repaint and a credible story

    Cheers,
    Huub

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Nice repaint and a credible story

    Cheers,
    Huub
    In the library now ; incidentally according to wiki , 4 of the Greek Tutors' escaped to North Africa (Egypt) at onset of
    hostilities in Greece... so you never know.

    ttfn

    Pete

  5. #5
    Senior Administrator huub vink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Noordwijk, The Netherlands (EHVB)
    Age
    60
    Posts
    7,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    In the library now ; incidentally according to wiki , 4 of the Greek Tutors' escaped to North Africa (Egypt) at onset of
    hostilities in Greece... so you never know.

    ttfn

    Pete
    But would the British troops hand them over to the Free French? From the stories I have read from the Dutch who escaped to England, I know the British weren't that keen on "foreigners" in the their ROYAL Air Force......

    Cheers,
    Huub

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    But would the British troops hand them over to the Free French? From the stories I have read from the Dutch who escaped to England, I know the British weren't that keen on "foreigners" in the their ROYAL Air Force......

    Cheers,
    Huub
    Probably, as they were considered 'obsolete' by then... Dowding was more enlightened as to 'foreign' pilots in RAF, but once he was
    usurped by Sholto Douglas ; and later Leigh Mallory (in Fighter Command) the 'old boys' network came into play again right enough;
    but Harry Broadhurst was in charge of Desert Air Force

    ttfn

    Pete

  7. #7
    Mr Vink
    I am finding it extremely difficult not to take issue with your comment based, as it appears to be on second hand and possibly biased information. As for the (sarcastic) use of upper case for the word Royal, if it offends perhaps take the "K" out of KLM.
    I could say much more but this is not the place.
    David

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by djs1 View Post
    Mr Vink
    I am finding it extremely difficult not to take issue with your comment based, as it appears to be on second hand and possibly biased information. As for the (sarcastic) use of upper case for the word Royal, if it offends perhaps take the "K" out of KLM.
    I could say much more but this is not the place.
    David
    Actually the upper echelons were initially ambivilent re the use of so called 'Foreigners' in the RAF.
    However, the Poles, Czechs, Free French, Dutch and many others who wished to carry the fight to freeing their homelands proved outstanding members of all three branches of the British services.
    Sarcastic????
    You obviously lack a sense of humour, Australians in the RAF were quite rude when it came to the use of 'Royal', but that's a national trait.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

    Corsair Obsidian 900D Full Tower. MSI X99A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM. Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X Haswell-E LGA2011-3 8 Core @ 4.8GHz. Thermaltake Water 3 Riing RGB Cooler Premium Edition 6 x Riing 12 fans. ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti OC Edition, 11GBx2 in SLI.
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32G 2800MHz DDR4 Kit. LG BH16NS40 BluRay Reader/Writer. Corsair CMPSU-HX1000i FM 1000Watt x2.
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD x 3. Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD x1.
    Western Digital WD Gold 4TB Datacenter HDD.
    Acer Predator X34P 34inch IPS LED Curved Gaming Monitor 3440x1440 120Hz

  9. #9
    Senior Administrator huub vink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Noordwijk, The Netherlands (EHVB)
    Age
    60
    Posts
    7,290
    Quote Originally Posted by djs1 View Post
    Mr Vink
    I am finding it extremely difficult not to take issue with your comment based, as it appears to be on second hand and possibly biased information. As for the (sarcastic) use of upper case for the word Royal, if it offends perhaps take the "K" out of KLM.
    I could say much more but this is not the place.
    David
    Sorry if I offended anybody. But personally I wouldn't call the conclusions from our National Institute for War, Holocaust and Genocide Studies "second hand and possibly biased information". And indeed the "K"of KLM is and always has been quite debatable, especially since the take over by Air France.

    But let us try to stay on the subject, which is the AVRO Tutor........

    Cheers,
    Huub

  10. #10
    SOH-CM-2019
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    St Simons Island GA
    Age
    65
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Actually the upper echelons were initially ambivilent re the use of so called 'Foreigners' in the RAF.
    However, the Poles, Czechs, Free French, Dutch and many others who wished to carry the fight to freeing their homelands proved outstanding members of all three branches of the British services.
    Sarcastic????
    You obviously lack a sense of humour, Australians in the RAF were quite rude when it came to the use of 'Royal', but that's a national trait.
    "All three branches . . ." Wasn't it the Poles who put the cork in the Falaise Gap bottleneck, and kept it there? Also I thought the Poles were the ones who eventually carried Monte Cassino. I think in both instances they were fighting in British Army uniforms.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    "All three branches . . ." Wasn't it the Poles who put the cork in the Falaise Gap bottleneck, and kept it there? Also I thought the Poles were the ones who eventually carried Monte Cassino. I think in both instances they were fighting in British Army uniforms.
    'All three branches'.
    As in Army, Navy and Air Force.
    The Poles and Czechs in particular were shamefully treated in 1945, being forced to return to their Russian occupied homelands, despite rendering sterling service to the Allied war effort.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

    Corsair Obsidian 900D Full Tower. MSI X99A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM. Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X Haswell-E LGA2011-3 8 Core @ 4.8GHz. Thermaltake Water 3 Riing RGB Cooler Premium Edition 6 x Riing 12 fans. ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti OC Edition, 11GBx2 in SLI.
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32G 2800MHz DDR4 Kit. LG BH16NS40 BluRay Reader/Writer. Corsair CMPSU-HX1000i FM 1000Watt x2.
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD x 3. Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD x1.
    Western Digital WD Gold 4TB Datacenter HDD.
    Acer Predator X34P 34inch IPS LED Curved Gaming Monitor 3440x1440 120Hz

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    How about this?



    So another 'maybe' scheme for Nigel's Avro; this time dressed as allocated to Groupe Bretagne, Free French Forces, North Africa @ 1943.

    Maybe not so strange; we know that Greece had 60 Avro's in service when Greece was forced to enter WW2 , we know that some Greek planes escaped to North Africa (and were utilised with their crews ) as 335 thru 339 Sqn RAF; so here is a former Greek Avro Tutor;
    now allocated to Groupe Bretagne , for General Duties





    Comments welcome

    ttfn

    Pete
    AWESOME!!! Both livery and imaginative cover story - Thanks Pete!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

    "Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

    A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Members who have read this thread: 96

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •