Vale Niki.

Thread: Vale Niki.

Vale Niki.

Three-time Formula One champion Niki Lauda, who won two of his world titles after a horrific crash that left him with serious burns and went on to become a prominent figure in the aviation industry, has died aged 70.

Lauda's family released a statement saying he "passed away peacefully".
    "With deep sadness, we announce that our beloved Niki has peacefully passed away with his family on Monday, May 20, 2019," the statement read.
    "His unique achievements as an athlete and entrepreneur are and will remain unforgettable, his tireless zest for action, his straightforwardness and his courage remain a role model and a benchmark for all of us, he was a loving and caring husband, father and grandfather away from the public, and he will be missed."

Too young!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    He led not just one, but two interesting lives and his honesty will surely be missed in the F1 paddock.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

He was just straight talking and a true legend, having come back from the accident was truly remarkable together with all his other ventures.

He will be missed that is for sure.

A great man who will be sorely missed.

regards Chris

I had the privilege of 'meeting' Der Niklaus toward the end of my undistinguished open wheel career after he lapped me several times(!) during a very minor 'Australian GP' run in the early 1980s under F/A and ANF2.
    He was quite gracious re the way we backmarkers gave way to the half dozen international professionals with monotonous regularity!!!!

For some odd reason (probably via a contact in Ansett) I had an invitation to a Lauda Air social function late in 1995, I'd wandered off to look at a gorgeous 356 Carrera and found myself discussing said car with 'Mr. Lauda'.
    With a little prompting we talked about that weekend at Calder Raceway, when he claimed to remember the 'very green, very loud' Toleman TG280...............................
    He was finalising the details of Lauda Air flying into Melbourne from early 1996, so I wangled another invitation for that year.
    All in all I was able to catch up over the next few Albert Park Grands Prix several times, always to be greeted cordially as if we were 'old friends', instead of just another free loader.
    He was one of a kind and will be missed.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quite the story Wombat, you were lucky to have met him and I was lucky to have watched him race even if it was only on TV. Thanks for sharing that with us. He was a thinking man's racer but could hang it out there with the best of em. He will be missed.

Icon2

I first 'discovered' Lauda when he was driving the Brabham BT46.
    No nonsense and straight to the point, as Wombat said, gone too early.....The sport misses him...

I met him at a training centre in KDFW, a few years back,
    IIRC he was doing his recurrent training on a bizjet, (I was doing the groundschool.) Really pleasant guy.

Ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 0