Anew Computer

Thread: Anew Computer

Anew Computer

I think it may be time to update my hardware and software.
    I would appreciate recommendations on anything that I should include or avoid for CFS3 compatibility and operation.
    I have always had issues with my current (outdated) unit with frame rate with high resolution, high numbers of aircraft, certain cloud formations, lots of flak, etc.
    Thanks.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    What OS do you wish to use ? Hear that Win 10 has all sorts of problems. That is why i'm sticking with Win7 64 bit ,even if it is now unsupported by Microsoft. Will have WIN10 just to go online with.Win7 does all i want it to do and works great with my older combat flight sims. I too am saving up to get a new computer,but may buy used just so i can use Win7 or build one that is compatible with Win7. Though i plan on a speedy CPU ,good RAM, and a very good video card. Must have dual SSD's also at around 1TB each.

Members +
    Remember that new(er) PC hardware is most certainly not optimised for older operating systems. Something to take note of when buying.>> Hardware should match OS, for optimal performance.
    There are thousands that do not have any issues at all with CFS3, CFS2 & any of the Microsoft flight sims.
    I've never had an issue at all, & I'm running CFS2,3, FS2004 (6x versions that actually run faster in W10 that older OS's) & CFS2 & 3.

& I'm running on a new i3 4GB laptop, with latest Window 10 updates.

For CFS3, processor speed has always been most important, much more than video card power. New hardware is less and less likely to support Windows 7 and earlier, so however much we loved it, remember all support ends in January next year. Win 10 works fine. If you’re buying a laptop, I’d suggest one with a gaming bias since the bargain basement jobs are best left in the basement. For a desktop rig, most machines are quite capable of good results but I’d expect to use a dedicated video card rather than integrated graphics: nVidia always worked well and I use a GTX1050ti 4gb card. Make sure you’ve got at least 8gb of RAM for Windows: 16 or more is much better. SSD drives are great for speeding up the whole system if you can spare the cash.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

took me a long time to get a new computer but i got nice one when i did Alienware R7 not the top of the line but still nice ,I use a Samsung 4K hi def smart tv for the monitor and the ETO looks stunning . I run windows 10 and I have had no problems other then the era switcher has gotten "stuck" once but I don't think that's windows 10 related.

Thanks, guys, just the sort of information I was looking for.
    I was reading through the Window 10 posts and I am a bit surprised that a couple of you guys say that it is fine. Is it because you loaded CFS with the DVD or did you have to do patches and/or modifications of settings and such?

Blog Entries
    Looking for a computer to run only my combat flight sims and nothing else. Will use another computer to go online with and that is why i want a Win.7 rig is to keep what i have the way i want it. This is also why i'm searching used ones and/or looking to see what is compatible hardware-wise.It doesn't matter if Win7 gets outdated or not to me. May get a Win10 gaming pc further down the road. There seems to be a lot of people using Win10 but it is a nightmare to me.Plus i can get a great win7 gaming rig cheap right now. That's the way i'm going.If you are comfortable with Win10 then i say go that route. CPU speed is important and have good RAM if you are into WOFF,(just look at pc recommended specs), or anything like that sim.

Frankly one has to get used to dealing with win10 which AFAIK might still be a free upgrade from win7. I have no serious issues with it and there is a lot of good advice on this site.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Looking for a computer to run only my combat flight sims and nothing else. Will use another computer to go online with and that is why i want a Win.7 rig is to keep what i have the way i want it. This is also why i'm searching used ones and/or looking to see what is compatible hardware-wise.It doesn't matter if Win7 gets outdated or not to me. May get a Win10 gaming pc further down the road. There seems to be a lot of people using Win10 but it is a nightmare to me.Plus i can get a great win7 gaming rig cheap right now. That's the way i'm going.If you are comfortable with Win10 then i say go that route. CPU speed is important and have good RAM if you are into WOFF,(just look at pc recommended specs), or anything like that.
    That's the way I am leaning right now. I've been running Windows XP on my unit for those same reasons. I had a long career as a scientist and every time we updated operating systems on our computers we had to deal with program and instrument incompatibilities.
    There are a LOT of posts on the Windows 10 thread on this page and it seems like the posters know the operating system, which I do not.

Win 10 works just fine, had no issues with older sims
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Blog Entries
    Automatic updates....not for me !

I have windows 10 64 bit installed on ssd memory , and have very much flights sims and combat flights sims , all very heavy modified , Mongoose can confirm , and all run very good whitout any problems.

Blog Entries
    I'm glad for you Hunter,but some of my older sims don't work with Win10. That's why i'm sticking with Win7.

Members who have read this thread: 0