Towing German Barges in Pat's BoB

Thread: Towing German Barges in Pat's BoB

SOH-CM-2020

Towing German Barges in Pat's BoB

Just a screenie of some barges which would look good as a coastal shipping spawn in Pat's BoB. I put together a short mission to see what a tight formation would look like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barges.jpg  

Neat!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    A nice addition !

Super!! Look great..

TAKKA TAKKA TAKKA! Hee hee!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

SOH-CM-2020

Takka takka

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    TAKKA TAKKA TAKKA! Hee hee!
    One slight problem, the barges each have a 20mm flak gun and even the tug has generously been given a 15mm mg151 gun. The concentrated firepower makes low strafing runs rather hazardous

SOH-CM-2020
    What stimulated this idea was a guide to formations in CFS3. I had forgotten that I had it, it is from long ago. The information is excellent and I think it should be uploaded and referenced in the MS sticky.

Anyway, the guide suggests that the maximum number of barges that can be strung behind a tug is 15 (ie. a total of 16 vessels) with some computers only displaying 12. Apparently different formations will not display as many vessels.

The other thing that is needed is a small wake for the barge.....

Oh well, I suppose it’ll have to be 1000 pounders from high up. Pickle barrelling.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti View Post

The other thing that is needed is a small wake for the barge.....

I imagine a wake isn't needed for the barges as I doubt a full line of them was going much more than 5 knots or so in a not completely smooth sea. The tug boat would be working hard though and would need a propeller wash effect for sure!

SOH-CM-2020
    Oh well, I suppose it’ll have to be 1000 pounders from high up. Pickle barrelling.
    my thoughts exactly!

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    I imagine a wake isn't needed for the barges as I doubt a full line of them was going much more than 5 knots or so in a not completely smooth sea. The tug boat would be working hard though and would need a propeller wash effect for sure!
    Yes I've got them doing 4 knots. I'll give the LST wake a try, I just need something subtle...

SOH-CM-2020

Bigger Formation with Wake Added

Got 14 barges being towed....

WoW!
    Not seeing a wake in the lower picture. In any case is it just from the hard working tug?
    I take it there is no actual hawser(s), or is there, between the tug and barges? If only a formation thing in the mission, thar must take a little work to get it correct. I assume an actual facility won't do the job as far as a moving tug and barges goes?

SOH-CM-2020
    WoW!
    Not seeing a wake in the lower picture. In any case is it just from the hard working tug?
    I take it there is no actual hawser(s), or is there, between the tug and barges? If only a formation thing in the mission, thar must take a little work to get it correct. I assume an actual facility won't do the job as far as a moving tug and barges goes?
    It's all done quite simply using a formation with a small spacing, in a mission. Once one of the barges is damaged, the formation stops and hence no wake in the second picture. As I mentioned before, I came across an old guide to formations which I think is excellent. I will upload once I get a Round Tuit. My final spacing has settled on 1.5, which looks better than these pictures.

So the whole formation including the tug stop when one is hit? Is that differnt from say aircraft formations?

SOH-CM-2020
    So the whole formation including the tug stop when one is hit? Is that differnt from say aircraft formations?
    Its a quirk of ship formations, unfortunately. Once one ship in the formation takes on too much damage, the whole lot grind to a halt. Luckily, aircraft behave differently!

I looked at the CFS3 mission Editor app to see if it was of any use to make really close individual units following the same WPs and speed, but it seems a little clumsy at that. Maybe just editing in the mission.xml file might be possible?

SOH-CM-2020

Formations stopping when damaged

I looked at the CFS3 mission Editor app to see if it was of any use to make really close individual units following the same WPs and speed, but it seems a little clumsy at that. Maybe just editing in the mission.xml file might be possible?
    There may be a work-around but as you say it will be clumsy. In this specific circumstance having the formation stop is not too unrealistic, if damaged vessels are being towed. A few waterlogged barges would soon slow the tug down!
    I have in mind a mission involving an invasion fleet where tugs would tow a smaller number of barges. It would be something like a mobile Invasion Fleet facility, Is it possible for a whole facility to move, I wonder? That would overcome any lack of shipping lanes to specific English beaches. Mind you, an invasion mission could simply use a modified Invasion Facility with some independent formations.

Not only that, but I'm sure tugs were used on the Rhine, and other waterways, and maybe the Kiel Canal if that's there. Of course the Thames and Humber estuaries. Not sure if they wedre used in D-day though.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    This is a very interesting breakthrough . Got my attention ! Hope this goes further to a addon for the ETO expansion. Would love to see this in action ! Regards,Scott

SOH-CM-2020
    thanks sixstrings5859! I haven't shown a screenie of the slightly increased spacing for the formation, it looks even better.

Members who have read this thread: 0