Plane rudders left with no input

Thread: Plane rudders left with no input

Plane rudders left with no input

So I have a massively frustrating problem that's kinda keeping me from playing.

Reinstalled the game for the first time in about...4 years? And I'm having an issue I've never had before and need help figuring out the cause.

Every plane I try to fly is acting as if I have left rudder fully engaged, even with no input-and visually the rudder itself is perfectly straight, it's not angled in any direction when in an external view. I've calibrated my controls, reassigned axes, even went so far as to delete the assignment for rudder altogether, and it's still being stupid. Brakes aren't engaged, there's no text popup saying they are.

I dunno WTF else would cause this, but I literally can't play because I can't freaking take off due to this.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormie View Post

Reinstalled the game for the first time in about...4 years? And I'm having an issue I've never had before and need help figuring out the cause.

Every plane I try to fly is acting as if I have left rudder fully engaged, even with no input-and visually the rudder itself is perfectly straight, it's not angled in any direction when in an external view. I've calibrated my controls, reassigned axes, even went so far as to delete the assignment for rudder altogether, and it's still being stupid. Brakes aren't engaged, there's no text popup saying they are.

I dunno WTF else would cause this, but I literally can't play because I can't freaking take off due to this.

Any ideas/thoughts?
    Just only a certain plane, or all planes? prop or jet? What sim/version?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Just only a certain plane, or all planes?
    Answered that in the OP:

Every plane I try to fly
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    What sim/version?
    Given this is in the CFS3 forum....that game. Although I did start of with vanilla 3.1, then installed ETO, but it's happening in both (both before and after ETO installation), so it doesn't seem to matter which version.

Have you checked from an external view that the rudder moves with control input? There is a way to make takeoffs, especially in propellor aircraft, very difficult and that is to bang the throttle to 100% instead of feeding the power in gradually until speed builds to control authority. The rudder works much better at 60 knots than 6 knots. Another thought: have you tried starting in the air? You should be at flying speed that way and can verify rudder effectiveness.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Have you checked from an external view that the rudder moves with control input?
    Again, answered in OP:

and visually the rudder itself is perfectly straight, it's not angled in any direction when in an external view.
    I've also never experienced the difficulty with maxing the throttle immediately when I played in the past...nor does it seem to matter now. I tried doing it gradually and it still veers left, even when adding throttle incrementally. Also yes, if I have inputs assigned and use those inputs, the rudder does move visually in external view. And when starting in the air, yes, it still veers left (although it's less noticeable due to high speed, as you mentioned). You would think it would just be a simple issue of the game registering input when there is none, for some reason, but then you'd see the rudder visually angled left, and it isn't. Which is why this is so damn confusing, IDK what the hell is causing it to veer when the rudder is both visually in a neutral position and no input is being applied.

I assume this is the stock CFS3?
    Maybe post your CFs3.xca file and say what joystick you are using/

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    I assume this is the stock CFS3?
    .....do people just not read things any more?

Although I did start of with vanilla 3.1, then installed ETO, but it's happening in both (both before and after ETO installation), so it doesn't seem to matter which version.
    As far as joysticks...occurs with both my X1 controller and the flight stick/throttle from CH products I used years ago when I last had the game installed and wasn't experiencing the issue. Here's the .xca file (from ETO, since that's the most recent install/launch): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lnj...ew?usp=sharing

Powerful propellor-driven aircraft don’t fly dead straight without trimming since the torque effects push them to left or right depending on propellor rotation. Try a Tempest and a Spitfire and one will pull left, the other right, as they did in real life. Is Realism in your settings at Easy or Hard?
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Powerful propellor-driven aircraft don’t fly dead straight without trimming since the torque effects push them to left or right depending on propellor rotation. Try a Tempest and a Spitfire and one will pull left, the other right, as they did in real life. Is Realism in your settings at Easy or Hard?
    Sonuvabitch, that was it >_< I coulda swore it was already on easy, but I thought "you know what, just for the sake of due diligence, let's check anyway", and sure enough it was on hard, swapping it over fixed it. *headdesk*

There you are! However, if you fly the add-on aircraft in ETO (most of them) you’ll find they’re almost un-flyable unless Realism is set to 100%, since that’s how their flight models are designed to be used. Have fun!
    Tom

.....do people just not read things any more?

As far as joysticks...occurs with both my X1 controller and the flight stick/throttle from CH products I used years ago when I last had the game installed and wasn't experiencing the issue. Here's the .xca file (from ETO, since that's the most recent install/launch): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lnj...ew?usp=sharing
    My bad! I did read the initial post and I admit I did skim the rest! I never thought about the difficulty setting as I do that automatically!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    My bad! I did read the initial post and I admit I did skim the rest! I never thought about the difficulty setting as I do that automatically!
    Sorry if I seemed testy; I'd posted like 3 other topics in forums across the web around the same time earlier, and each one was like this one, with 2-4 people all replying asking questions I'd already given the answer to in either the OP or a comment...just got to kind of a "shouting 'r u fkn srs rn m8?' at the world" point by the time you'd spoken up XP

Sorry for my poor english ......but i'm Italian . Disconnect the joystick , start the game , if the planes have the rudder straight ......get off the joystick.

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Hi Stormie,

As Tom mentioned in the ETO addon the aircraft require flight mode to be set to hard otherwise you will get some odd behaviour in flight (one that stands out straight away is the aircraft banking the wrong way after applying rudder). For take off on hard settings feed in throttle gradually and apply opposite rudder to the direction of swing and you'll get off no worries at all. you may need to apply a little brake to the same wheel side as the rudder input to help keep her straight on some of them as well. Its well worth learning to fly/play on the hard flight model you'll be able to get a better feel for flying and perform manoeuvres that are not supported by the easy flight model that well.

regards Rob.
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Capt. Winters. I use the left and right brakes along with rudder on takeoff and it is always best to have on hard settings for flight model. Keep practicing and you will get the hang of it. I too thought i having rudder problems with the P-51 but speed had a effect on rudder effectiveness at high speed. Like the realism in flight modeling of the 1% aircraft in CFS3 and it just takes getting use to. I use a Logitec Extreme 3D Pro and have no issues. Regards,Scott

Members who have read this thread: 0