The Latvian Canaries

Thread: The Latvian Canaries

Icon22 The Latvian Canaries

Landed an interesting charter to haul a Latvian football team, wives and fans, and gear to the Canary Islands. Apparently they want to do some shopping on the way so it will be a multi-stop trip, but the beaches are a reward worth waiting for.

Headed southwest out of Riga just after dawn...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 19 Canary 1.jpg  

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Another football team on the way.

From cryptic messages received, the crew of the Fokker was detained by galley issues (SWMBO?) and didn't make the sked departure. However Taco, Dudley and I ventured off across Berlin to a little used field (Z11K) where we found the local mall didn't send the requested shuttle bus. The pax may end up short of beer...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 19 Canary 2.jpg  

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

On approach at EDFH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wm-2019-may-16-001.jpg  
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Hello all!

Here we are again, last nights flight there were four planes in the air. One started out as a four engine three tail bird, and after the rain we saw a twin engine two tail bird. hehe spent most of the night trying to figure out what and how it happened hehe finally just gave up. We left Z11K and headed south towards Frankfurt-Hahn EDFH. Darn if the weather was crazy at around 6,000 we were bounced from heaven to that other place. Most of passengers were a wee bit under the weather. Believe me, some were still in la-la land from the flight yesterday. Being the nice guys as Flight 19 is known for, and of course you all believe that. We got clearance to climb up to 10,000 and every thing smooth out and the rest of the flight was half way enjoyable for some of us. hehe.

After some four engined fiascos, I made a deal with this guy on some kind of Lockheed Twin. He said he thought it was a modified Lodestar and that's what he put on the bill of sale. No data plates or anything else to ID it, but darn it's the fastest "Lodestar" I've ever flown. Already outfitted for cargo, he said he got it at a Customs auction and got it back airworthy. I think he used the "airworthy" word kind of loosely. But it does fly nicely. I just hope no one wants to see any paperwork on it as all I've got is that bill of sale....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WM-2019-may-19-006.jpg  
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Heading into Biarritz Saturday night, weather was a bit low so I flew the ILS 29. Nice stable approach when at 1000 AGL some cowboy in a Fokker twin cut in front of me on final. A few moments later an old Lockheed twin went by BELOW me and screeched onto the runway.
    Not sure about French ATC but apparently they allow street racing just about anywhere these days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 19 Canary 4.jpg   19 Canary 3.jpg  

Couldn't wait for the others.. the beaches of the Algarve were calling. Taco and I headed for Faro (LPFR) under sunny skies. Found a beach hotel with a bar - all is good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 19 Canary 5.jpg  

Short final into Morocco.

Note Cowboy Jim ignoring the suggested glide path...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F27.jpg  

Howdy all from Cowboy Jim AKA Taco.

Going down to land at Casablanca it was like riding a gut busting bronco. I was going in low and circle around to try and slow this here machine down. Made the circuit ok, but the darn thing just wouldn't slow down full flaps, gears down, and the throttles retardate to the off position, but to no avail. So breaking some of the flight rules we can in hotter than heck. full reverse on the engines and we slowed somewhat, but it seemed that we would run off of the runway and end up in downtown Casablanca. hehe!

As we were checking out the ATR-42 heading South we happened to see this here big bomber heading North an American b-29. Hehe, and this crazy Yank give us the wing woggle. well, what the heck we gave him one also from another crazy Yank! hehe

Howdy,

We have been bouncing around West Africa heading for Dakar, but we still have a few flight until we get there. Our plans, and what the bloody Travel agent set up is too fly across Africa by the way of crossing the Sahara Desert and land sometime in Somalia. I assume that we should have a lot of cargo to drop off and pick up more. Wow! it sure seem we have mucho amount of stops. What the heck, we had nothing to do but set on the beaches of the Canary Island, and drink a soda pop and watch the pretty ladies walking around. Oh well, money talks and baloney walks, what the heck that means. CU later folks me hope.

Hello again,

Just a short note, without pictures, about last nights flight of Flight 19. Two of us left Dakhia and headed across the western part of the big sand box (Sahara Desert) to the town GQNT Akjoujt in Mauritania, in the middle of nowhere me thinks. The weather held up and we had a few bounce, but not to bad. Boy, hardly seen any trees or even brush and weeds. Just plain barren! Keep tuned we should have more news! Hehe

Hey! Oops forgot to load the camera again, so no pictures.

Ok, here we go! Flight 19 left GQNJ and headed to GOSS, hehe, the name kind of fool you, believe it or not, but the towns name is St.Louis, And it ain't in Missouri, USA, but in Senegal, Africa. Now I pulled one of my bright idea and set everything to fly from GQNJ to GOOY I sure couldn't figure out why Rob and Moses were talking about descending so dog gone early, so being a little surprised I called them on the radio and asked the question. A big Ooops, I missed GOSS on the overall flight plan. Anyway Dudley and I tighten up the seat belts and turn the seat belt sign on and lithely dove for the runway! Well anyway, we made it, but had some of these top soccer players sicker were than dogs. Hehe, there went our bonus. One more shot flight and the soccer player should be ready for the match. I'll bet they sure won't fly with us again. LOL

Next week, after some aircraft changes we have a contract to fly some stuff, and I mean stuff across the big sandbox. the Sahara! hehe.

Members who have read this thread: 0