EAA'S CATCH 22 B-25H "Berlin Express"

Thread: EAA'S CATCH 22 B-25H "Berlin Express"

EAA'S CATCH 22 B-25H "Berlin Express"

With Hulu's pending release of the new re-make of "Catch-22" next week, and EAA's B-25H "Berlin Express" from the original Movie being brought back to life. Has anyone Considered repainting it for the MAAM B-25 to sorta celebrate the occasion??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4-25-19-b25-900.jpg  

I'm excited to be able see it on its debut tour stop when it comes to St. Paul on July 5-7 (along with Aluminum Overcast). Note that the EAA's B-25 still has the custom low-drag wingtips, side door and airstair, extra windows and lowered bomb bay roof - leftovers from its executive modifications in the 1950's and early 60's. In the movie "Catch-22", it was used as "Berlin Express" as well as General Dreedle's personal transport (complete with whitewalls). It was also one of the B-25's in the movie painted in the "M&M Enterprise" markings.

Although it is a B-25H, it hasn't had the H nose since at least the 1950's, when at that time it had an eight gun nose (guns removed) added, and then later the glass nose, ahead of the Catch-22 filming. With the aircraft now flying, there are currently 38 B-25's flying in the world (with several more under restoration at this time - including one in Argentina, which is likely to be flying in about 2 years I believe).

I'd try. I think I have MAAM's B-25 updated for FSX.
    Catch 22, 30 Seconds Over Tokyo, 12 O'Clock High, just a few I can remember as my favorites from my long gone youth.

Add Hanover Street....with Harrison Ford. The Mitchell has always been a favorite of mine. I think it started with a 1/48 Monogram model kit as a Kid. (Actually built many of them) I have always Loved "Catch 22" for many reasons. I was really worried when I heard they were re-making it, but after seeing the trailers for it... I'm really anxious to see the new one. I am really hoping for an opportunity to buy a ride in "Berlin Express." Would be the 2nd H-Model 25 I've been in.

Yes, she made her first flight on April 19 one day past the Raiders anniversary. The lower cowling on #1 was removed at Weeks hangar to remedy what looked like an oil leak and it went up again about an hour later! Once more on the 20th too. Been quiet here since then. Good to see it in the air again!

Wish Mr. Poberezny was around to see her fly again.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangL2W View Post
    Wish Mr. Poberezny was around to see her fly again.
    and his P-64 a few years back. It was nice to see that in the air again. I wanted to see the XP-51 brought out and flown with the XP-82 this year but after the crash of the N9M I don't know anymore. As far as I know it's the only prototype Mustang left.

Stayed up late and watched "Catch 22" last night as it debuted on Hulu. As a big "Catch" fan, I really enjoyed it. Great job telling the story of a Medium Bomb Group over the Mediterranean during War II. I think the CGI was done very well. Yossarian was done extremely well. Curious to hear what other's think...

I haven't caught it, yet, but definitely want to!

Having been very "in to" current B-25 happenings, research, etc. for my current B-25J project for FSX/P3D, one particular B-25 restoration project that has been on my radar is a J-model that an individual by the name of Kevin Hooey in New York is currently restoring to fly. The plan is to complete it in the authentic markings of "Old Ironsides III", of the 488th Bomb Squadron, 340th Bomb Group, as it is the most well documented/photographed B-25J that Joseph Heller, the original author of Catch-22, is known to have originally crewed on. The particular airframe was the last B-25 that the family of the late Walter Soplata still had, which Kevin Hooey purchased in 2017. Portions of the aircraft are being restored in both New York and by Tom Reilly's company in Georgia. The aircraft is expected to be completed sometime between 2024 and 2028.

Interesting watching this. One of my local R/C club members has been a member of the volunteer restoration crew on "Berlin Express."
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Members who have read this thread: 2