AT Simulations AN-2 - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AT Simulations AN-2

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbed View Post
    I'm flying An2 in real and I'm still disappointed by Sibwings and Aerosoft model...is this really better then previous two? Is it worth to buy this?
    I'd be interested to hear what you find disappointing about them.
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

I'm flying An2 in real and I'm still disappointed by Sibwings and Aerosoft model...is this really better then previous two? Is it worth to buy this?
    This model flies exactly the same as the Sibwings model because it is the Sibwings model, but the really annoying bugs have been fixed. If you already own the Sibwings AN, it is less than $13 to get an update that I never believed would be available at any price.

Now if they would fix the Bird Dog too!

Dave

From what I understand, this basically is an upgrade of the Sibwings version, the Float and Ski versions are new and it seems much better than the SibWings version but that may just be because the improvements of V4 over FSX so I can't say how much better than new version is.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Can anyone compare this to the Aerosoft model? Is it worth having both?

LouP

RE: Comparison ATSims and Aerosoft AN2

Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    Can anyone compare this to the Aerosoft model? Is it worth having both?

LouP
    Well, I've got both. I had the original Sibwings, and I think the new A.T. Sims version is the most comprehensive of all three. Definitely worth the investment, while not detracting from the Aerosoft version. The only gripe I have at the moment is (if my memory serves me correctly) with the old Sibwings version, I remember by using "Shift+E+2(or +3)" the freight door could be opened. So far, I have not been able duplicate this with the A.T.Sims version. The other problem I am having is after downloading some of the old Sibwings Textures, though they can be installed O.K., the prop disk with the engine running, is just a black circle. With the engine shut down the texture is perfect. I've seen this happen before with downloads from other producers. Anyone got any ideas??

Nice picture of SP-KAA dvj!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Nice picture of SP-KAA dvj!
    Somebody did a really nice job on it! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Catboat View Post
    Well, I've got both. I had the original Sibwings, and I think the new A.T. Sims version is the most comprehensive of all three. Definitely worth the investment, while not detracting from the Aerosoft version. The only gripe I have at the moment is (if my memory serves me correctly) with the old Sibwings version, I remember by using "Shift+E+2(or +3)" the freight door could be opened. So far, I have not been able duplicate this with the A.T.Sims version. The other problem I am having is after downloading some of the old Sibwings Textures, though they can be installed O.K., the prop disk with the engine running, is just a black circle. With the engine shut down the texture is perfect. I've seen this happen before with downloads from other producers. Anyone got any ideas??
    I concur. ATSimulations did a fine job on updating the Siblings AN-2.

The Aerosoft version was incomplete when released. It is nice and easy to start, but some advertised features were not implemented. A patch or update was recently released, but for P3D only. I'm still waiting for the FSX update.

The Siblings version is well done, and the ATS version not only adds additional models but corrects some of the older issues. I really like the load manager. I did a flight recently with the float version and had no air speed because I forgot to remove the pitot cover. Had to land and come to a complete stop before I could remove it. If you like an animated cockpit and lots of available repaints, the ATS version is it.

For those textures with the "black circle" when running, I would look at the specific texture folder for any AN2_prop.dds files and remove or rename them. They may be overriding the default prop texture files and causing the problem.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrog View Post
    I'd be interested to hear what you find disappointing about them.
    Flight model of course. Both are spectacular by visual side but very poor and easy to fly which I think An2 is not.

My first repaint for the float-model is available at the "Free-Repaint-Page" from ATSimulations.

All the Best

Dirk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails N202AK_01.jpg   N202AK_02.jpg   N202AK_03.jpg  

Flight model of course. Both are spectacular by visual side but very poor and easy to fly which I think An2 is not.
    "Of course" It was so obvious, I should have realised.
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball6 View Post
    My first repaint for the float-model is available at the "Free-Repaint-Page" from ATSimulations.

All the Best

Dirk
    Very nice. I was hoping for some more repaints of the float version. Thanks much,
    -- WH

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Those repaints are updated for new model, soon on ATS website: http://atsimulations.com/ .
    The newest is SP-KAA (done in april 2019).

Just downloaded and installed. Thanks.

But one question. I noticed that SP-KAA was created for the 6-seat version. Any reason why it can't be used for the 12-seat (as noted in the aircraft.cfg description)??
    -- WH

Have you tried reaching out to Alexander Metzger, who developed the flight dynamics for both versions? He posts as "metzgergva" at both Avsim and the PMDG forums. He's been known to revise his work in the past (the Manfred Jahn C-47 went through a couple of refinements) and I'm sure he'd be interested in your take, given that you're a real-world AN-2 pilot. Of course, the more specific you can be, the more he'll probably find that helpful. You should really think about contacting him.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Re: Flying the Antonov AN2

Quote Originally Posted by thefrog View Post
    "Of course" It was so obvious, I should have realised.
    If you can get a copy of "Today's Pilot Magazine," Sept 2005, Dave Unwin gives a very interesting report of flying the AN2. in this case LY-BIG, at Tollerton in the U.K. Amongst many other things, he describes the controls as heavy, particularly the ailerons, with the stick -free stability as directionally strongly positive, longitudinally positive, and barely positive laterally! It has strong adverse yaw, compensated by the powerful rudder etc. In other words , just what would be expected of a large heavy aircraft with manual controls. It would appear that ATSimulations and Sibwings have got it just about right, within the limits of flight simulation. Dave Unwin ponders if he would like to own one-He seems impressed by the aircraft for what it is and how immensely capable it is in its designed role- but probably not, mainly though because of the fuel bill-170 litres per hour!! Other reading by the way- A copy of earlier "Private Pilot" magazine, featuring an article on one of the first civilian AN2s in the U.S.A. An organization that operated a couple of warbirds including a Grumman Wildcat as well as the AN2. The article finished with the statement that the major problem was stopping the arguing between pilots, as to who was going to fly the AN2 to various airshows-they all wanted to!!

Soon at a seaplane-base near you ..... (canadian registration and aluminium floats)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unbenannt3.jpg   Unbenannt.jpg  

All the Best

Dirk
    Thank you for this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    Have you tried reaching out to Alexander Metzger, who developed the flight dynamics for both versions? He posts as "metzgergva" at both Avsim and the PMDG forums. He's been known to revise his work in the past (the Manfred Jahn C-47 went through a couple of refinements) and I'm sure he'd be interested in your take, given that you're a real-world AN-2 pilot. Of course, the more specific you can be, the more he'll probably find that helpful. You should really think about contacting him.
    Adding to this is a very nice and long video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8ArwPJNXn8

and this one: Back in the USSR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJpHIqIGhmE

-d

Some IRL photos. May be - ideas for repainters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ханты-Мансийск 4.jpg   Ханты-Мансийск 7.jpg   Ханты-Мансийск 10.jpg   Ханты-Мансийск 8.jpg  

Great pic of the floater dvj -

All the Best

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Meridien View Post
    Some IRL photos. May be - ideas for repainters.
    Hi Meridien,

do you have some more info about the plane of the last picture - registration etc ? As far as i notice, it is an old aeroflot-seaplane.
    I think with an old CCCP-Registration.

All the Best

Dirk

Hi Meridien,

do you have some more info about the plane of the last picture - registration etc ? As far as i notice, it is an old aeroflot-seaplane.
    I think with an old CCCP-Registration.

All the Best

Dirk

Hi, Fireball6! Unfortunantly no more information, besides that the planes were from Khanty-Mansiysk joint aviation unit.
    And some more b&w photos. The photos are from here: https://vk.com/clubmestniairlini

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ханты-Мансийск 3.jpg   Ханты-Мансийск 1.jpg   Ханты-Мансийск 2.jpg   Ханты-Мансийск 12.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 2