Rudder question ?

Thread: Rudder question ?

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries

Rudder question ?

Why is it that i have very little rudder control in CFS3, for example the P-51D, than in CFS2 or IL-2 '46 ? Checked calibration and it checks fine , just very little rudder movement. Using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro stick. Thanks for any help,Scott

Blog Entries
    After much testing i've found the problem to be with the P-51D's mainly. Strange ? The P-51B's operate properly and have much more rudder control. Even the FirePower P-51D has limited rudder control. Is this a feature of the P-51D or is something wrong ?Really strange problem....

Are you talking about the 3D model animation of rudder deflection, or the flight model performance?

I just checked the aircraft.cfg and air files, and the stock B and D models are identical.

The Firepower version of the D has its own flight model parameters, and responds to rudder induced yaw quite differently.

If you want to experiment with the flight model start in the aircraft.cfg file's [flight tuning] section and change the rudder stability and effectiveness parameters.

*** Make a back-up outside of the CFS3 directory before you edit anything! ***
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    I guess you are right MajorMagee. Most P-51's behave the same way. Thought it was a glitch but i guess not. CFS2 P-51's just have more control than CFS3. FM differences i suppose.Thought maybe it was my stick but it is not the case. Tested in several installs and they are all the same. Thanks for the advice but i guess it was just me. Regards,Scott

Also depends on your airspeed. Every control surface has a speed at which it is most effective, and that varies from aircraft to aircraft. Typically, the rudder is most effective at a fairly low speed, and above that speed the force required to move the rudder becomes progressively greater to the point that eventually the pilot can't move the rudder at all.

Blog Entries
    That explains it Gecko. That is what they are doing. Thanks for the heads up.

SOH-CM-2020
    On the subject of different FMs in CFS2 from CFS3 (well a related topic), I came across an interesting utility recently for FS2004, which claims to compare an aircraft's .cfg file and .air file, presumably to look for inconsistencies/conflicts.

I didn't manage to get the thing running because it could not find my FS2004 install path. However I couldn't help thinking it might be possible to fool it into running in CFS3 given FS2004 seems to use some similar aircraft files (ie .cfg and .air files). Has anyone encountered this tool, and used it in FS2004?

Sorry if this seems off the topic of the thread, I was just thinking it could be useful in comparing different p51-D flight models like the FP one and the stock one.

Members who have read this thread: 0