Four Russian WWI aircraft released for CFS2!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Four Russian WWI aircraft released for CFS2!

Four Russian WWI aircraft released for CFS2!

Hello Folks,

There are three interesting if not peculiar Russian models that I had built for FS98 and CFS1, which I thought could be well worth while upgrading for CFS2.

They are the following:

a) The improved version of the French Voisin 5, undertaken by Piotr Ivanov and built at the Anatra Factory at Odessa.
    The crew/engine nacelle was streamlined and included an aluminium firewall to protect from engine and tank fires, and with the same 150 Hp Salmson water-cooled radial engine, speed was 68 knots, 11 knots higher than the French model.
    This aircraft was an armed observer, with a machine-gun in the nose, and it could drop 10 hand-thrown 10 Kg bombs hanging on the sides of the gunnerīs well.

b) The Anadwa VKh 3-seater also built at the Anatra Aircraft Factory in 1916, designed by Vassili Khioni by joining two fuselages from the Anatra Anade Biplane. It was powered by two 9-cyl 100 Hp Gnome Monosupappe rotary engines, that gave a top speed of 75 knots.
    It had a gunner nacelle on the top wing, offering a very effective 360 degree field of fire, and pilot and observer occuppied left and right
    pilotīs cockpits in the fuselages. Rear gunnerīs positions in the fuselages were covered up. 300 kg of bombs were carried on racks under the lower wing between the fuselages.
    The model was produced in small numbers and regarded as an effective light bomber, and was improved the following year.

c) The Anadwa Salmson VKh 5-seater, 1917, built by joining two fuselages from the Anatra Anasal Biplane, and powered by two 9-cyl 140 Hp Salmson water-cooled radial engines, which gave a top speed of 76 knots. There were radiators on panels on the inboard fuselage sides.
    The model differed from the previous one in that it had 3 gunners, offering a formidable defence: Apart from the gunner nacelle on the top
    wing, there were two more gunners in the fuselage, firing aft. Moreover, bomb load was increased to 350 Kg.
    The model was produced in small numbers and regarded as one of the best light tactical bombers in the Russian military aviation inventory.

The models have received hollowed-out pilotīs cockpits and gunner wells, CFS2 Aircraft.config files, correspondingly corrected CFS1 .air files, as well as Dp files to include crew, machine-guns and bombs.

Ravenna and Kdriver have been of great assistance with their help and cousel on this project.
    As soon as the three models are thoroughly checked, Iīll be uploading them.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anatra V.I.-1.jpg   Anatra V.I.-2.jpg   Anadwa-VKh-2.jpg   Anadwa-VKh-1.jpg   Anadwa Salmson-2.jpg   Anadwa Salmson-1.jpg  

"Why make it simple if you can also make it complicated?"

Looking good Stephan. It would be interesting to know what guns the Russians mounted on these aircraft.

Anadwa VKH

Hello Ravenna, Hello Kdriver,
    As my Gmail account wonīt allow zipped aircraft attachments,
    here is the WIP model attached for the dual-fuselage Anadwa VKH.
    Let me know if thereīs anything amiss, and I will put it right!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Anadwa Salmson VKh

Hello Kdriver, Hello Ravenna,
    Hereīs the WIP model for the Anadwa Salmson VKh dual-fuselage light bomber.
    I wonder why Gmail wonīt let me send .zipped aircraft...
    Letīs see if the model is all OK.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Ivanov-Voisin Anatra Version 3

Hello Ravenna, Hello Kdriver,
    As Gmail refuses to send .zipped aircraft, I have to post it!
    Hereīs the WIP model for Version 3 of the Ivanov-Voisin Anatra,
    to check if everything is ship-shape for the upcoming upload.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Its raining Russians!!

Guns on the Ivanov Anatra and the Anadwaīs.

Hello Ravenna,
    For the moment, itīs the guns on the Gothas.
    Correct me if Iīm wrong - judging by the photographs, they look identical
    to the ones we are mount on the Gotha Grossflugzeuge Series.
    What would you think?
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Looking at a couple of modelling sites I think the closest add on machine gun we have is a Lewis gun.

Good things come in threes...

Hello Ravenna,

"Itīs raining Russians"

When I mentioned the Ivanov-Voisin Anatra to Kdriver, he nudged me to proceed with
    upgrading the two Anadwaīs as well. Originally I was going for the Khioni Nr. 4 too, but
    new data I found, indicated it was a 1921 one-off build by Khioni, who was trying to get
    a government contract and had further improved the model, but despite successful trials,
    didnīt achieve his goal, so I decided only to do the two earlier 1916 and 1917 Anadwaīs.

Initially, I was planning only to get my teeth into Dp files, and then started enjoying it, so it
    got a bit addictive. Thus, the three models have so to speak come together simultaneously,
    instead of one after the other.

Also, as there were no texture problems to solve, it seemed quite straight forward business
    and I went right ahead with the upgrades on the three models. Once in a while working on
    the three in turns got quite confusing - itīs really not such a good idea, but thatīs how it
    gets sometimes!

Thanks so much in advance for checking the models!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Hello Ravenna,
    The Lewis gun seems to be the best looking to me - weīll leave that one in then?
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Bomb size and rack type

Hello Ravenna,
    What do you think of the bomb size on the Anadwaīs? Itīs John Fortinīs
    French 120 MM GA type. I tried the Michelin 115 mm type but it looked too
    small to be a 50 Kg bomb.
    Then, the double metal bar making up each pylon above the grapples:
    Why is it doubled? Perhaps the top bar should go on the top surface of the wing.
    Would you know?
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Members +
    Great stuff indeed.

Will they work in FS2004?

Regards,

Robin

Icon22 Reply...

Aleatorylamp,

You're Lenin us on with all of these teaser posts. Quit Stalin and upload already!

Just kidding, kudos to all involved.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Not long to go!

Hello Rami,
    Just doing the finishing touches - not to worry, Iīll be Putin them up in the CFS2
    warbirds library very shortly.
    Thank you for your motivating comments!!

Hello zswobbie1,
    Thanks for your interest. Iīm afraid AF99 models are incompatible with FS2004,
    CFS3 or above. Animations for them are done with Aircraft Animator, starting with
    FS98 and CFS1. FS2002 and CFS2 maintained compatibility, but Microsoft discontinued
    it for all newer simulators, allowing only Gmax and FSDS models. Why? beats me!

As a result, only completely un-animated AF99 models will show in FS2004, but thereīs
    hardly any point, is there? I mean, at least the bare minimum, i.e. animated flaps and
    landing gear would be needed for a model to be acceptable.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Russian Trio uploaded.

Hello Folks,
    Itīs nice to see the expectation! Thanks.
    Well then, Iīve polished up the models, checking bomb sizes and making minor corrections on details like readmes, muzzle-flash positions and a silly animation problem on the Anadwa VKh rotary engine that disappeared at 40% RPM...

So, the models will be available in the warbirds library as soon as they are authorized:

Ivanov-Voisin Anatra:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=124&id=25410

Anadwa VKh:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=124&id=25409

Anadwa Salmson VKh:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=124&id=25408

Let me know if there are still any flaws, which I will gladly try and correct.
    BTW, I deleted the W.I.P. models I posted yesterday, as they are no longer needed.

The attached screenshots are the same as on the models in the warbirds library.
    I hope you enjoy the models!

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anadwa VKh Screenshot.jpg   Ivanov Voisin Anatra Screenshot.jpg   Anadwa Salmson Screenshot.jpg  

CFS2 Anadwa Salmson VKh.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - World War I

Description: CFS2 Anadwa Salmson VKh light Bomber

5-seat Russian twin-fuselage light bomber biplane, constructed in 1917 by Vassili Nikolayevich Khioni, with two Anatra DS or Ansal fuselages. It was powered by two water-cooled, cowled 9-cyl 140 hp Salmson radial engines and top speed was 76 kt. A small number were built. The Khioni dual-fuselage biplane series was regarded by technical experts of the time as one of the best large aircraft of the Russian aviation. An order for 50 units for the Russian Imperial Aviation was thwarted by the revolution.

Textures by Udo Entenmann.

Dp files with help from Michael Langwood and Kevin Driver.

By Stephan Scholz.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit CFS2 Anadwa Salmson VKh.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

CFS2 Anadwa VKh.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - World War I

Description: CFS2 Anadwa VKh, 1916

3-seat Russian twin-fuselage light bomber biplane, constructed by Vassili Nikolayevich Khioni in 1916 with two Anatra D fuselages. Powered by two cowled 9-cyl 100 hp Gnome Monosaupape rotary engines, its top speed was 75 kt. It was easy to fly and quite manoueverable. A small number were built, and the design was later improved. The Khioni dual-fuselage biplane series was regarded by technical experts of the time as one of the best large aircraft of the Russian aviation.

Textures by Udo Entenmann.

By Stephan Scholz.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit CFS2 Anadwa VKh.zip

CFS2 Ivanov-Viosin Anatra.zip

Description: CFS2 Ivanov-Voisin Anatra pusher Biplane, 1916

Also known as Anatra V.I. (Ivanov Voisin), this 1916 Russian reconnaissance pusher biplane was a modification of the French Voisin-5, built by Anatra in the Ukraine. It had a strengthened airframe, a new plywood crew nacelle oval, more aerodynamic struts and sturdier landing gear. It was 110 lb lighter and 11 kt faster than the Voisin-5 with the same motorization, a 150 hp Salmson 9-cylinder radial pusher engine that gave a top speed of 68 kt. 150 units were built.

Textures by Ude Entenmann.

By Stephan Scholz.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit CFS2 Ivanov-Viosin Anatra.zip

Icon22 Reply...

Aleatorylamp,

Very nice modelling, thanks also to kdriver and Ravenna for their help on these releases!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Well done that man!
    Does anyone have information on operational use for these interesting aircraft?

Anatra...

...all arancia. My favourite!

Hello Ravenna, Hello Rami, Hello all!

Thanks for all the good words!
    Very motivating!
    Sorry, I forgot to put in checklists, but I put in some short flying instructions for the planes in the readmes, as follows:

The Viosin-Ivanov Anatra:
    Take off under full power, and rotate at about 45 mph (38-41 Kt).
    Landing approach should be at around 55 mph (45-50 kt), with idling engine as need be,
    and touchdown just over 40 mph (35-40 kt).

The Anadwaīs:
    Take-off: With a little nose-up trim, the aircraft will lift off by itself at around 40 kt.
    Cruise: 60 Kt
    Max Speed: 75 kt
    Approach: 45-55 Kt
    Landing: 40-50 kt
    Stall: 35 kt.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Well done, thank you very much!

Now, I wish we had some WW1-era Russian airfields to fly these birds from.

Hello Roxane-21,

In 2012 I built a rather peculiar Russian Sesquiplane for FS98, the Porokhovschikov-2 Bi-Cocque, 1914,
    and accompanied it with a simple little scenery near St. Petersburg, called Kommendantīs Airfield.
    It is built with Airport for Windows. The location is exact, although the layout is ficticious.

Thereīs a grass landing strip, and an airstrip building with a hangar, along with 2 static aircraft:
    A Porokhovschikov-2 Bi-Cocque, and a Caudron G.3, as well as a balloon for scenery decoration.
    Nearby thereīs a little village with some fields and a windmill, and further away a Church and a
    city building representing St. Petersburg. All very quaint and charming...

This was the place where Porokhovschikov tried out his design.
    He had built it in his appartment on a 6th. floor !!!, and it could be transported in a very large
    wooden box to be assembled on site in a few minutes! It was the first twin-tail pusher aircraft
    in history, and had a crew of two, pilot and observer/gunner (armed with pistols and a few bomblets),
    being intended as an armed observer airplane.

In absence of Russian sceneries of the time, perhaps you would like to try out the scenery for fun.
    Hereīs a screenshot and the scenery .zip attached to this post. I think itīs a bit too simple and/or
    small for an upload, but at least itīs picturesque and for want of anything else, it will give you a
    chance of flying near St. Petersburg. Note: Airport Textures are required.

Cheers,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Komendantīs Airfield 1914.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 1