Hybrid View

USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63)

This will be the project for the next months
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.JPG   2.JPG   1.JPG   4.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by CIMOGT View Post
    This will be the project for the next months
    Very cool !

Kittyhawk Class

Will you be doing USS America CVA-66 and USS J.F. Kennedy CVA-67 as well like your last project with Multiple airwings? Having served aboard America from 1967-1970 with CVW-6 and CVW-9 I have all the airwing information you could need for those periods. I also have my 2 cruise books of 1968 and 1970 with lots of photos.

Differences

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Will you be doing USS America CVA-66 and USS J.F. Kennedy CVA-67 as well like your last project with Multiple airwings? Having served aboard America from 1967-1970 with CVW-6 and CVW-9 I have all the airwing information you could need for those periods. I also have my 2 cruise books of 1968 and 1970 with lots of photos.
    yes i was thinking about doing the 3 ships, America, Constellation and the Kitty Hawk, the John F. Kennedy will be another proyect, although it represents a lot of work in reserch on the differences, i would be very useful for the photos to reflect the changes

here the work at the moment in the hangar deck

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails h4.jpg   h3.jpg   h2.jpg   h1.jpg  

Research Material

I had this book but it got lost when we moved. It is really a great source. Here is the link to it on Amazon if you don't have it. I will be happy to supply you with Airwing information for CVW-6 and CVW-9 from my Cruise Books from 68 and 70. I have the "honor" in 1968 of boot-topping the entire waterline of the carrier in Subic Bay. The book below covers changes from America's original configuration as launched. The changes in 1969 when she was drydocked were a new weapons elevator among other things. I got to chip a lot of paint and repaint a lot of ship and as a fire watch got to see just about all of the ship most crew after the dock period never saw. Like inside the sonar dome bailing water out of it with a bucket on a rope. It was like working in a sewer I remember. America btw was the only carrier of the Kittyhawk class that had Sonar. Ships company worked alongside the civilian dock workers.

https://www.amazon.com/America-Detai.../dp/0830602038

The Ladder Topside

Quote Originally Posted by CIMOGT View Post
    yes i was thinking about doing the 3 ships, America, Constellation and the Kitty Hawk, the John F. Kennedy will be another proyect, although it represents a lot of work in reserch on the differences, i would be very useful for the photos to reflect the changes

here the work at the moment in the hangar deck

If memory serves me correctly, up forward starboard about 20 feet inboard is a ladder topside from the hanger bay up to the 01 level. I seem to remember that this was enclosed not a gallery on the starboard side. Then inside there is another to the 02 level my level for berthing and CIC and CATCC and then up to the 03 level with passageways fore and aft one starboard for transit forward and one port for aft transit. Both went all the way fore and aft with officers staterooms, captain's and XO's quarters and the Admiral's "Flag Spaces" which I worked in 1970 As the CarDiv II Air Warfare Co-ordinator for our second Vietnam Deployment. On the portside there is a ladder down from the gallery which because it is even with the 02 level. It should have a W/T door which is access to the passageway to CATCC, CIC and Ops berthing. Not too bad for 50 year old memories? Your shots really bring them back. I left the ship in November, 1970 and then had an opportunity in 1990 to go back aboard and say a proper goodbye when I was part of the honorary commissioning crew for the Abraham Lincoln CVN-72 at Norfolk. I am really looking forward to USS America when you are finished.

US Navy Cruise Books

Here's a site that contains many US Navy Cruise Books

https://www.navysite.de/index.htm

Members who have read this thread: 4