USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63)

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Hi Walter, and thanks for considering various points of view.

Opinions being like armpits and belly buttons (we all have them), I appreciate the fine line you're trying to walk, schemes vary widely from cruise to cruise, and at some points, certain model types come and go.

I hear and understand the criticism about missing out the wartime (pre-1973) deployments. I'd normally be advocating fiercely for that period, but I guess I see 1975 as a reasonable compromise, in that it incorporates the types (if not the squadrons) present during the previous few cruises. And the SWS boats cover the Midway-class bracket during Vietnam quite well.

I think the 2000s era deployment won't spark too much interest, inasmuch as Tomcats and Hornets get great representation in both the Aerosoft Kitty Hawk and the Fernandez Nimitz respectively. Plus for the P3Ders in the room, the SWS Nimitz is yet another Hornet-rich environment. My "magic sweetspot" would be either a Coral Sea, Midway, or Forrestal flying low-vis Phantoms in the very early 1980s - a very niche period, so I grant that's not in the cards any time soon from any developer. And I get it, as developers have to pick eras that make sense from many points of consideration.

So I think the peacetime 1975 cruise is not unreasonable. Maybe make the models' skins easy to repaint, and/or include a few different cruise options via selectable repaints?

Just my view - I'll be happy with anything older than 1984.

Cheers,

dl
    Hi

Thanks for the comments, as I said is still in process although 3d modeling is finalized, which I want to be as true as possible, as always trying to maintain an efficient level fps, what I have seen with the previous ones is that the most difficult part is the period of time that the model will represent, another difficult part is the compatibility between simulators, since P3Dv4 gives more capabilities, but FSX still represents the majority of users since many have it optimized and at a point that it is difficult to decide to change to another simulator because of the amount of ADDon added to it, in this case I think use BETA users to test 100% their compatibility with FSX, but this will be later and I am sure that I will have help here.

Walter

Good Point

If the airwings can be easily repainted then anyone who is able can create their own favorite airwing and put it on deck. Though I am a CVA-66 vet, I know that the airwings I served with from time to time were aboard Kitty Hawk in the Tonkin Gulf and the carrier did not get any kind of a refit from 1966-1975 so its configuration is perfect for anytime during that time period. Keep up the fantastic work, Walter, and thank you for your dedication to the project.

Texture Ended

Now i start with the animations

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.jpg   3.jpg   2.jpg   1.jpg  

Beautiful Job

I notice that you have Kittyhawk configured with Harpoons and CWIS. I am waiting for USS America the carrier I served on and would like to request that since you chose to do her as an entirely separate project, that she would be configured as launched with NO CWIS and Standard Missile Launchers where the Harpoons are. I feel that would give you a totally different carrier to market rather than just a few minor changes to the superstructure and radars. She received CWIS in June 1980. I couldn't find when the missile launchers were removed and Harpoons installed but it was after that. Anyone else waiting for America in chime here so that Walter knows were we are all leaning.

Richard

Below is a photo of America taken off France in 1974 showing the Original missile launchers on the stern.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CVA-66 France 1974.jpg  

Uss america

Starting with the changes for the USS AMERICA

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Looking fabulous, Walter!

USS America

The missile launchers are beautiful. Water-activated liferaft cylinders were added after Vietnam not sure when. Our liferafts were rubber rafts that were packed in square black rubber rectangular containers. Let me know if you do not have a picture of these. They were universal liferafts on all the carriers at that time. I remember when in 1970 the boatswain's mates had to replace all the rations which contain chocolate bars and cigarettes (back then) and since a friend of mine was a good buddy of them we had all kind of Winston cigarettes and Hersey chocolate bars even though both were a bit stale, beggars aren't choosers. LOL!!! PM to you Walter with 17 photos scanned from my 1968 and 1969-70 Cruisebooks for your reference.

Could you add some [subtle] baked-in AO please.

If this is also for P3D then PBR would also be good.

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    The missile launchers are beautiful. Water-activated liferaft cylinders were added after Vietnam not sure when. Our liferafts were rubber rafts that were packed in square black rubber rectangular containers. Let me know if you do not have a picture of these. They were universal liferafts on all the carriers at that time. I remember when in 1970 the boatswain's mates had to replace all the rations which contain chocolate bars and cigarettes (back then) and since a friend of mine was a good buddy of them we had all kind of Winston cigarettes and Hersey chocolate bars even though both were a bit stale, beggars aren't choosers. LOL!!! PM to you Walter with 17 photos scanned from my 1968 and 1969-70 Cruisebooks for your reference.

Hello, I do not have photos of the containers, I would appreciate it if you have any, I am already reviewing the photos you sent me before thank you

Cv-66

More changes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5.jpg   6.jpg  

Liferaft Baskets

Hey Walter,

Beautifully coming along. I sent you all the pictures from my two cruise books there are different views of the "baskets" which were along the rails in those photos. I will see if i can find some more from some other sources. Any of you following this post if you have really good photos of the liferaft baskets from the U.S. Navy in the 1970s help out here please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CVA-34 with liferaft racks on the railings.jpg  

some changes

more changes in the castle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.jpg   5.jpg   6.jpg   7.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Hey Walter,

Beautifully coming along. I sent you all the pictures from my two cruise books there are different views of the "baskets" which were along the rails in those photos. I will see if i can find some more from some other sources. Any of you following this post if you have really good photos of the liferaft baskets from the U.S. Navy in the 1970s help out here please.

thanks, very valuable information for me !!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CIMOGT View Post
    thanks, very valuable information for me !!!!!!
    You can see them ranged across a significant portion of the island on the starboard side....

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nara.get...a-cv-66-619781

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/185984659595512514/

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/638103840924990198/

Thanks for the Refence

Thanks for the refences, some changes

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails h1.jpg   h2.jpg  

Coming Along Really Nicely

Great work Walter.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries

Well done

Hi CIMOGT

it´s really a beauty... keep it up!

Many greetings

RS

Blog Entries
    She is looking awesome....
    SoCal Y22......North Pole, Alaska

Uss constellation cv-64

The USS CONSTELLATION

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.jpg   5.jpg   6.jpg   7.jpg  

first check in the sim

still without animations
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c.jpg   a.jpg   b.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Hangar's almost deserted, few remaining people are scurrying away .... add some haunting Western music ... looks like the avatar is waiting for the other party to arrive for the scheduled gun duel at noon ...

Nice job, Walter - for FSX, I've never placed a premium on what's under the deck, but I admit, that could soon change ...

Guys how and where can I get these carriers?

another immediate must have ! Can't wait !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    Still in development, they are not finalized

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    You can find previous products over at Simmarket here.

Dave

Members who have read this thread: 4