Photo Real DCC P-38J Cockpit by Captain Kurt!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo Real DCC P-38J Cockpit by Captain Kurt!

Smile Is the yoke on me?

I'm working on a new 2D cockpit for the P-38J model. Morton has a nice one for an P-38F and G, but the P-38J panel was totally different. I still have the engine controls and radios panels to do, BUT,,,,

I'm conflicted whether to include a moving control yoke or not (get it? nudge, nudge, wink, wink) So this is a bit of an opinion poll. What is your preference?

Panel without a yoke.

Panel with a yoke.

Also as a part of all this, I am giving the stock P-38 gauges a face lift. They are possibly the worst looking of the stock M$ gauges and I just couldn't use some of them as is for the P-38J panel. I will release them separately for those who want to use them.

Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Reply...

Kurt,

I prefer a yolk. Egg-beaters just don't cut it for me.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

The yoke, man... the yoke!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Can't you just make the yoke a separate entry in the panel cfg. so anyone that prefers "no yoke" can eliminate it.

Always a yoke.............

And as stated the yoke in the panel cfg can always cooked and eaten for lunch.
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Icon22 Reply...

Kurt,

Well, I guess we know where the "bad eggs" are in this thread. Now all we need is Veruca Salt and that weighing machine.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries

Yoke

Yes! The panel looks great, especially with a moveable yoke. I am using a altered P-38 panel with a movable yoke, but yours looks better.

Braveheart

Quote Originally Posted by Worthless View Post
    Can't you just make the yoke a separate entry in the panel cfg. so anyone that prefers "no yoke" can eliminate it.
    I agree with Worthless on this one. Your burden may be heavy, but your yoke can be light.

Exclamation I've run into a problem with the P-38J panel development

I've never run into this problem before. Anyone know how to fix the issue?

Before adding windows for controls and radios, I had the CFS2 gun sight reticle centered in the 2D gun sight glass.

As soon as I add the windows for the controls and radios, the CFS2 horizon line and the reticle shifts waaay down and is now buried behind the panel. The horizon line and view parameters are the same for all windows, but it doesn't seem to make any difference when I try to adjust them. The reticle postion just seems to be stuck like this.

Cheers,

Captain Kurt

panel problem

Have you saved the original panel.cfg? ( without control and radio windows )

using the original cfg

try raising the reticle using the default view SIZE_Y= XXXX ( lowering the number raises the sight ) so that it appears higher than you want it then add the other windows and check the result to see if it has dropped ( you may have to do this a couple of time to get it how you want it )

don't know if this will work but it's all I can think of off the top of my head

good luck

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...rid=480&sort=d

I use yoke setup in my OH P-38F. Although i have 6 other windows in it, i'm posting an abbreviated copy of the panel.cfg to only show the main panel and the yoke:

[Window Titles]
    Window00=Main Panel
    Window01=Yoke

[VIEWS]
    VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=MAIN_PANEL,51

VIEW_FORWARD_ZOOM=0.500
    VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=1.100, 0.000, 0.000

//--------------------------------------------------------
    [Window00]
    file=vp38_640.BMP
    file_1024=vp38_1024.BMP
    size_mm=640,480
    position=4
    visible=1
    ident=MAIN_PANEL
    sizeable=1
    render_3d_window=1
    window_size= 1.000, 1.000
    window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

//--------------------------------------------------------
    [Window01]
    file=p38yokev01.bmp
    size_mm=1024
    window_size_ratio=1.000
    position=7
    visible=1
    ident=51
    render_3d_window=0
    window_size= 0.880, 0.950
    window_pos= 0.060, 0.110

I haven't experienced your problem at all with this cfg. I'm guessing it may possibly be related to the render_3d thing and/or the visible=X line. Could also be related to the window sizing and positioning. Try these lines for the yoke, but note that i've only used this model in XP. Haven't tried it in Win7 or Win10, and we know how weird these platforms can be about 2D panel work.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

I vote for the yoke (bacon too if available)

It's weird for sure. Thanks for the responses guys. I had already tried all of your suggestions to no avail. I was hoping there was some magic bullet out there but it doesn't appear there is. So I bit the bullet and stayed up until 3:00 am last night repainting the panel to match the new reality. Yeah I know, obsessive, but I was PO'd about it and got the bit in my teeth.

Work moves forward this morning. On the first window, I am adding active prop feathering, the throttle/mixture console, and figuring out on/off switches to use as closely to the real switch panel as possible. Some allowances need to be made here. Many of the real switch functions are not available in CFS2 and will have dummy switches, plus two will bring up the second and third windows.

The second window will have radio and ADF. Also even though not historical, a GPS. You will have a choice to install either the MTO (new,my programming), the PTO, or the ETO version.

And the third window by popular vote, the control yoke.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

You guys make me laugh.

See this thread for the development update.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...el-development
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Cool! Thanks CK. Can't wait.

Hello Captain Kurt,
    I would have tried the same thing that Baldy suggested.
    If you look at where the horizon shows compared to your panel BMP, you will see that it doesn't quite line up at the same place, and usually the issue is what Baldy described.

Did you also try substituting your new background BMP into another panel to compare alignment?

How are you creating these panel backgrounds? They look pretty good. I am going to need to create one soon for a P-38 as well.
    Before that, I need to program a few gauges for twins.

- Ivan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Hello Captain Kurt,
    I would have tried the same thing that Baldy suggested.
    If you look at where the horizon shows compared to your panel BMP, you will see that it doesn't quite line up at the same place, and usually the issue is what Baldy described.

Did you also try substituting your new background BMP into another panel to compare alignment?

How are you creating these panel backgrounds? They look pretty good. I am going to need to create one soon for a P-38 as well.
    Before that, I need to program a few gauges for twins.

- Ivan.
    Hi Ivan

Yes I tried adjusting the horizon line several different ways, manually, using cfg.edit, before and after adding windows, etc. I even tried removing the VC window to see if that was causing it. But no matter where I set it or how I did it, it had zero effect. As soon as the windows were added to the cfg file, it shifted. That should have fixed it but it didn't. Very frustrating. The problem does not show up in other panels.

Thanks. Where I can, I start with a photo of the real thing, adjust it to the panel bitmap size to use as a backdrop layer, and overpaint as needed. Layers are your friend. I use them for sections, parts and pieces to build up the overall panel. That way adjusting or fixing an error is easy without affecting the rest of the panel layers. Makes blending easier too. When satisfied, merge the layers and save as a 256 color bitmap. That usually requires touch up before it can be used. Color 0,0,0 (transparent) usually shows up in some of the wrong places and needs to be replaced.

Which P-38 model and gauges?
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

When I was tinkering around with the Emily panel I adjusted the main panel position=7 to position=1 and the [Default View] from SIZE_Y=5330 to SIZE_Y=4930. Maybe something like that might work.

Before and after Emily panels:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Emily_1.JPG   Emily_2.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Oglivie View Post
    When I was tinkering around with the Emily panel I adjusted the main panel position=7 to position=1 and the [Default View] from SIZE_Y=5330 to SIZE_Y=4930. Maybe something like that might work.

Before and after Emily panels:
    Hi Gary

How have you been?

Unfortunately I did try moving the positions - to all 9 of them. Resizing the default view is what the horizon line is about and that didn't work either. It seems to be another CFS2 weirdness conundrum that doesn't have any obvious reasons or fixes.

I gave up and repainted the panel bitmap to match where it obviously really wanted to be. That's the only thing that has worked.

That's a nice panel BTW.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Hello Captain Kurt,
    I also try to do things in layers with GIMP, but don't do any significant blending and usually start with a screenshot of a virtual cockpit panel. It ends up functional but isn't particularly attractive.
    I have also been trying to adjust the palette to either the AF5 extended version or the stock CFS1 panel palette to avoid corrupting the appearance of gauges because gauges pick up their colours from the panel palette.
    The P-38s would be my own models. I built a P-38F and an early P-38J a couple years back along with flight models for CFS1 but did not finish texturing them.
    The gauges would also be my own as soon as I finish programming them.

- Ivan.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    Hi Gary

How have you been?

Unfortunately I did try moving the positions - to all 9 of them. Resizing the default view is what the horizon line is about and that didn't work either. It seems to be another CFS2 weirdness conundrum that doesn't have any obvious reasons or fixes.

I gave up and repainted the panel bitmap to match where it obviously really wanted to be. That's the only thing that has worked.

That's a nice panel BTW.
    Hi Kurt

I've been helping take care of my mother and her house this last year or so. She survived a heart attack a year ago requiring three stents to open blocked arteries. She came close to not surviving that ordeal and was in ICU for several days. She is doing better.

Looking forward to your P-38 panel!

The Emily panel came with Shessi's Kawanishi H8K2 Emily download here at SOH, I just tinkered around with it a bit. Like Kelti always stated, "I can't leave them alone." I think same applies to all of us flight simmers.

I hope you and everyone is doing well.

Kind Regards,
    Gary

A moveable yoke !!!!

I personally find it weird seeing a moving yoke (or a moving stick) with no hand on it, while I can see my own stick in my hand just in front of the screen. I have the same feeling with racing games in which I can see a second steering wheel turning in front on mine.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    To yoke are not to yoke,that is the question ? Prefer the yoke because of the line of sight in this case.

Rox,

I have a custom moving yoke with hand in my A-20 Boston Panel if you want to check it out.

A20/Boston MKIII for CFS2
    By No Dice
    *Close to authentic gauge layout
    *featuring a rear gun station panel
    *7 "on panel" toggled pull down menus

*Custom Moving Yoke
    *custom gauge package included

*Download****

http://thefreeflightsite.com/Panel3.htm
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Members who have read this thread: 0