Ants T-28 trogan virus

Thread: Ants T-28 trogan virus

Ants T-28 trogan virus

I have twice D/L the Ant's Airplanes T-28A Donationware for FSX SP2 and Prepar3D V2.0 (AntsT28AV100.exe), and upon installation my Avast antivirus has said the file was infected with malware "Win32:Malware-gen" and has stopped the installation. Could someone check and see if this is true, as I very much wanted this plane in my FSX. Thanks you.

Steve
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

https://www.antsairplanes.com/

did you try Anthony's site? or where are you downloading from?
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Should be version 3.0 already, updated it just last week.

Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    I have twice D/L the Ant's Airplanes T-28A Donationware for FSX SP2 and Prepar3D V2.0 (AntsT28AV100.exe), and upon installation my Avast antivirus has said the file was infected with malware "Win32:Malware-gen" and has stopped the installation. Could someone check and see if this is true, as I very much wanted this plane in my FSX. Thanks you.

Steve
    I had the same. Never really got Avast to stop doing it so gave up on it. I hate exe files. No understanding why it cant just be a zip file.

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    I had the same. Never really got Avast to stop doing it so gave up on it. I hate exe files. No understanding why it cant just be a zip file.
    You can't turn off Avast while you do the install?

I understand why they go with .exe files. Many of the people who purchase these products have little skill with working with computers. So it's easier to do everything for the customer than have to constantly deal with people who screw up their install. I usually install exe's to a temp directory, that way I get an understanding of what they are installing.

Some developers also install copy protection as well with the exe.

Sorry you are frustrated.

I bought the B/C version. My dad flew T-28's while training in the Navy. I really like the model, it flies well and accurately as far as I can tell. The only issue I have with it is the taxiing is too sterile for me. Like it's gliding around. Other planes I find much more realistic in their taxiing (compared to my experience with light GA aircraft Cessnas and Pipers). Other than that, I love how it flies and the systems and detail in the model. I really enjoy landing on carriers with it.

SOH-CM-2021
    I install to the Desktop, and then manually from there. I've never had a problem with that method.

I have Ant's T-28 and installed it that way.

Den.

Turning off my anti-virus software for anything that is "game" related is not going to happen for me. It's just not work the risk even if it is a so called false-positive.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Quote Originally Posted by 511Flyer View Post
    I install to the Desktop, and then manually from there. I've never had a problem with that method.

I have Ant's T-28 and installed it that way.

Den.
    I also have Ant's T-28 and I always install it to a folder I create and go from there. No antivirus warnings at all!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    I also have Ant's T-28 and I always install it to a folder I create and go from there. No antivirus warnings at all!
    It all depends on your anti-virus software. I can attest that SOPHOS is awful for false positives on files and websites.
    But if you send them an email, they'll correct it quickly. Pain in the ass when you're trying to get to a website and/or file you know is clean though. So, no, I'm not a total stickler on worrying about viruses from sources I trust. I haven't contracted a virus in about 10 years. And the couple of times I did (or rather my kids did), it only took me a couple hours to clean it out thanks to all the people out there who help in this regard.

Sorry for the delay gents, but yes, I got it from here at SOH. Don't know what the issue was with my Avast antivirus was as I've never had a false positive before with anything. Anyway, I did go to the Ants site and D/L and installed without a problem! And I must agree, I really don't like execute programs either.

Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate them.

Steve
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Agree - it seems counter intuitive to have a detection method only to turn it off when it detects something..
    glad you have the airplane - it is a beauty and must have for fsx
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

I hate EXE installers also. I have a linux box that I keep around just for that reason. I can copy the exe file to it, run it there using a program called 'wine', zip up the contents and copy it back. I am most worried about the exe infecting the system and by running it on linux where any infections it can do are ineffective I feel safe.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

I downloaded the latest version of the T28A today and installed it. Not a peep out of Norton.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sieggie View Post
    I downloaded the latest version of the T28A today and installed it. Not a peep out of Norton.

Dave
    That'll be a first!!!!!!!!!!!
    Norton is unmatched ruler of THE FALSE POSITIVE ..... so much so that I know of a lot of grumbling about a class action to have developers compensated for Norton's poor coding and utter indifference to correcting their mistakes.

Even a 'zip' is not immune to a false-positive.....all depends on whether one compression algorithm simply has vague similarities to a virus signature.

Of course....Norton has never needed such complicated efforts as simple 'confusion'....there once was the time it shut down the Windows BITS service ..... and you had to jump through hoops to get that one working again..... back in XP days....and having to reinstall an entire service pack yet again was a pain in the butt....

There once was a third party Music player....a skinnable one...called 'Sonique' ....was pretty spiffy too.... I thought I'd redownload it years later....and BitDefender said 'no'....and deleted it. So I disabled Bitdefender and downloaded it.....got sidetracked....and later on Bitdefender reloaded after its time-out....and promptly deleted the download again....
    I finally decided I wasn't going to be the number one entertainment for Bitdefender and said...enough was enough....and moved on...

Back to false-positives. It's simply an indicator of how slack an AV company is. Why not simply flag every download as 'dangerous' and refuse everything? Then they could all just go down to the pub where they clearly want to be anyway...

It does usually quarantine because of not enough prior dl's but this one appears to have had enough for norton to not complain.

Members who have read this thread: 0