FR Buchon and Bf-109G6 released - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FR Buchon and Bf-109G6 released

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Did these real dangerous monsters have no rudder trim at all ??...

The brief checklist that John posted speaks of "Elevator trim to +1 nose-down prior to take-off", where the manual checklist says "Check stab.trim is set to +1"... Most probabely what is ment here is 'horizontal stabilizer' but of course there's also something like 'vertical stabilizer' (subsequently 'rudder'...)

I can't remember having flown a propfighter (ahem....) with which you don't set rudder trim to counter engine torque. With such a small and light airframe as the 109/Buchon and such a relatively huge and powerful engine up front one would think that rudder trim would be even more important than elevator trim, certainly at take-off. AFAIK there's no mention of rudder trim in any of the manuals. I was wondering about this because i have been virtually killed on all my take-off's so far....

Mike, beautifully modeled and textured, sir, inside as well as outside. Kudos !

Do you maybe have any more specific comments about taking-off in these bad boys ? Keep 'em on the straight and narrow as it were.. ? Thanks !

cheers,
    jan

Jan, I think the key is:

1. Not too much power too quickly;

2. Use brakes at first - just quick jabs (and lots of them) to keep the aircraft pointed the right way;

3. Keep the rudder pointed in the correct direction to counteract, so that it helps as speed build up;

4. Essential #1: Do not let the tail come up before the rudder is fully effective;

If you think the stabiliser trim is getting the tail up too quickly for you, feel free to keep it at zero.

It was a fine point between the rudder becoming effective and the tail coming up.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    Having the Avia S-199 in the hangar really rounds out the collection.
    Not to take this thread in a different direction, but how did you get the S-199 in FSX? I believe it works only for non-Accelerated FSX, or am I missing something. Will it install in FSXA??

BTW - the Buchon and Bf-109G6 are great. Love them. Only thing I noted are the extra files in the Buchon manual folder.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Not to take this thread in a different direction, but how did you get the S-199 in FSX?
    Manually! The only thing you'll have to do in addition is to replace the proptexture. This texture appear behind the clouds in the sim, viewed from outside the plane, in the vc it's fine.

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post
    Hope that helps!
    It certainly does, Mike ! Must've been too joyeus with the throttle indeed. Just got up into the air for the first time. Hurra!

She sure feels a lot different compared to f.i. a Spitfire or P-51. Surprisingly i happily walked away after landing...

Thanks again for this beautiful and interesting rendition of an aviation history icon. Certainly a very challenging and fun aircraft to master, even virtually !

@ Huub: Wow! That's quite an extraordinairy fact about manually setting up a fixed rudder trim ! I guess i have a lot of reading to do ( just read a report by Ray Hanna flying the Buchon. Wow too ! ;-)

cheers,
    jan

Very nice model!
    Only thing missing was an Italian paintscheme..
    jk0292

jk0300

jk0297
    still wip, but nearly there
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

and now with white wingtips and overpainted german markings:
    jk0315

jk0307
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

In watching and listening through the takeoffs in these videos, for my own preference I have been using a lowered p_factor setting in the Aircraft.cfg files of the Bf-109G-6's, from 0.7 down to 0.6 (same as in the Buchons) and I'm quite content with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGhMGQst4lo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jenWQy4Zm-w
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=759CIhZgXsw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR8SOB1Fmbg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1a1MLeWIwk

Out of pure curiosity, with 11 Bf-109's/Buchons currently flying (more than there has been in a very long time), and a good number more under restoration to fly (another Buchon set to fly this year, and possibly as many as two more Bf-109G-6's set to fly as early as next year), it got me wondering about how many pilots are current on the type at this time/have flown them within the last five years. On that criteria, here is the list I've been able to put together - anyone know of any others? (Of course Walter Eichhorn, who was very prolific on the type, has been retired from flying the 109/Buchon for several years now, and although Steve Hinton performed the test flights on the Flying Heritage Bf-109E, that was more than 10 years ago now.)

Bud Granley - (Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum)
    Charlie Brown - (Hangar10, Historic Flying Ltd, MeierMotors)
    Cliff Spink - (Historic Flying Ltd, Ultimate Warbird Flights)
    Dave Ratcliffe - (Historic Flying Ltd)
    Doug Griffin - (Erickson Aircraft Collection)
    John Penny - (Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum)
    John Romain - (Historic Flying Ltd, Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum)
    Klaus Plasa - (Hangar 10, Messerschmitt Foundation)
    Lee Proudfoot - (Historic Flying Ltd)
    Mark Murphy - (Hangar 10)
    Mikael Carlson - (Hangar 10)
    Mike Spalding - (Military Aviation Museum)
    Pete Kinsey - (Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar)
    Ray Fowler - (Erickson Aircraft Collection)
    Richard Grace - (Ultimate Warbird Flights)
    Rick Volker - (Military Aviation Museum)
    Ross Granley - (Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum)
    Steve Jones - (Ultimate Warbird Flights)
    Volker Bau - (Hangar 10, Messerschmitt Foundation)

Bt the way, if anyone is looking for the textures for the tropical intake, you can find them here (in the orange box).

Speaking of the tropical filter, can my paint (with the underwing guns) be equipped with one?

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Speaking of the tropical filter, can my paint (with the underwing guns) be equipped with one?
    Yes, if you use the ...\Messerschmitt Bf-109 G6 FSX Early\model.gt (gondola; tropical) or \model.gtf (gondola; tropical; FuG) models.

Icon22

and now with white wingtips and overpainted german markings:
    jk0315

jk0307
    Hi Jankees, the position of fasces on the left wing (top) is wrong... The blades of the axes on three fasces must always face the wing tip (as on the right wing top), the same error appairs on the wing's bottom, but inverse (left wing is ok, but right one is wrong). Please take a look at Flight Replicas 109s I painted in the past.

Ah, you learn something new every day, off to produce an update...
    This better?
    jk0321

jk0322

Thanks for spotting it, Manuele, the update is now in the library, please check if it is ok now?

Oberleutnant Franz Stigler and his Yellow 2.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stigler3.jpg   Stigler1.jpg   Stigler2.jpg  
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Icon22

Ah, you learn something new every day, off to produce an update...
    This better?
    jk0321

jk0322

Thanks for spotting it, Manuele, the update is now in the library, please check if it is ok now?

Major Brändle of JG 3 'Udet' was based on Schiphol in 1943
    jk0337

jk0330

jk0345

jk0364

I'm wondering if there's an issue with the station load declarations --

station_load.0 = 195, -1.69, 0, 0.30
    Station_name.0 = pilot
    station_load.2 = 237, -7.03, 0, -1.22
    Station_name.2 = L Wing Cannon
    station_load.2 = 237, 7.03, 0, -1.22
    Station_name.2 = R Wing Cannon

Surely the left cannon should be Station1?

Dave

Absolutely briliant!

You guys will be sharing your great repaints, right?? Looking good.
    -- WH

Quote Originally Posted by zsoltquack View Post

Great plane!

I gotta say, that teethy smile look good on the 109

Thanks zsoltquack... keep em coming

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    I'm wondering if there's an issue with the station load declarations --

Station_name.0 = pilot
    station_load.2 = 237, -7.03, 0, -1.22
    Station_name.2 = L Wing Cannon

Surely the left cannon should be Station1?

Dave
    This has been confirmed by FR. Please replace the above in the following aircraft:

Messerschmitt Bf-109 G6 Early P3D
    Messerschmitt Bf-109 G6 Wing Cannon P3D

by this:

Station_name.0 = pilot

station_load.1 = 237, -7.03, 0, -1.22
    Station_name.1 = L Wing Cannon

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    You guys will be sharing your great repaints, right?? Looking good.
    If someone start working on something

Anyone working on a repaint of Buchon "White 9" G-AWHH? I've just begun working on a repaint of that aircraft, but if anyone else is already working on it I'll shift to something else. I'd say it is my favorite of the restored/flying Buchons at this present time. In the same token, if I'm successful in completing G-AWHH, another I have my sights on is the restored/flying Bf-109G-6 D-FMGS (though gotta work on my mottling skills a bit), but again if anyone else is interested in tackling it...

As I'm sure most who follow any warbird pages on Facebook will know by now, Wilson "Connie" Edwards passed away last Friday. He was instrumental in saving a large portion of the Buchons surviving today, having received as many as 16 as payment for his flying work in the movie "Battle of Britain" (since they couldn't actually pay him directly for all of the flying/work he did in the film, he took the planes, engines and spare parts as payment instead - which also included the Spitfire Mk.IX MH415, which at this time is in the final stages of restoration to fly in Australia). Back in 2014, there was the massively-publicized sale of the 8-9 Buchons he still had remaining in storage at his airfield/ranch in Big Spring, Texas (the others having already been sold on or donated in years prior) - they were advertised as "barn finds" by the broker of the sale, which of course wasn't really true. Here is the list of those Buchons he saved:

C.4K-30 (*reportedly being used as a parts source at Air Leasing in the UK)
    C.4K-31 (became N109ME and G-AWHE, today flies in Germany converted as a Bf-109G-14, D-FMGV, with Hangar10)
    C.4K-61 (fuselage surviving, reportedly being used in a Bf-109K project in Germany)
    C.4K-99 (today flies in the UK, restored as "Yellow 7", G-AWHM, with Air Leasing)
    C.4K-100 (displayed today at the Kalamazoo Air Zoo)
    C.4K-102 (today flies in the UK, restored as "Yellow 10", G-AWHK, with Historic Flying Ltd)
    C.4K-105 (today flies in the UK, restored as "White 9", G-AWHH, with Anglia Aircraft Restorations)
    C.4K-106 (currently stored in California, pending future restoration)
    C.4K-111 (under restoration to fly in the UK, as G-HISP, with Air Leasing)
    C.4K-112 (today flies in the UK, restored as "Red 11", G-AWHC, with Air Leasing)
    C.4K-126 (currently stored in California, pending future restoration)
    C.4K-127 (displayed today at the EAA Museum)
    C.4K-130 (today flies converted as an Allison-engined Bf-109G-10, N90602, with the Erickson Aircraft Collection)
    C.4K-144 (flew as N8575 with the Confederate Air Force, crashed in 1987)
    C.4K-152 (under restoration to fly in the UK, as G-AWHR, with Air Leasing)
    C.4K-154 (reportedly part of the mass Buchon sale back in 2014 - *possibly at Air Leasing in the UK/parts source)

(*In addition to the three Buchons Air Leasing has already restored and flying, plus two more they are currently restoring to fly, they also have a Bf-109G-2 project under restoration to fly, which will be combining a restored/new-build Bf-109G-2 fuselage with Buchon wings from one of the two identities above (as far as I know).)
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; May 7th, 2019 at 16:12.

Working on an easy one for the moment- "Yellow 10" G-AWHK
    Not much really to add to it, should have it up in a couple of days.

Awesome, thank you! I will be looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Awesome, thank you! I will be looking forward to it.
    Same here..
    -- WH

Members who have read this thread: 3