Military bases

Thread: Military bases

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

Military bases

I have found a dearth of high quality third party military bases in X-PLANE. I did find a fantastic one over at the .org.

McChord AFB is a joint Air Force/army base in Tacoma, Washington, about 50 miles south of Seattle. This base has an authentic feel to me from my Air Force days. The flight line is loaded with plenty of C-17’s, KC-10’s and a few F-16’s. Be sure to download the extra libraries indicated.

A solid effort from a French author and payware quality for free. Well worth the download for your modern jets. I flew the new F-35 from there. A great flight.

We live down the road, south on Interstate 5 from mcchord.
    The c17 is our most sighted large flying object.

As for choppers, well that's every night.
    Looking forward to the day we can add traffic at will to XP :- )

So I started using X-plane a little over a week ago. Did a pretty heavy search for downloads. Seems to be a dearth of pretty much everything. I think part of the problem is the constant updating of the simulator, haha! Who woulda thunk

But, development seems to be growing. X-Plane.org is a good resource, though I find it a bit hard to search through as everything is forum based, so when you're searching for files, you get forum entries interspersed and it can be hard to know what version various stuff works with (I'm on 11.32, the latest).

Funny thing is, despite what people say, and I'm a pilot myself, I find FSX to be more accurate in flight modeling for a lot of the stuff I've tried. That's probably not true for edge of the envelope stuff, but, mostly I'm in it for procedure flying, learning how to fly different aircraft, not trying to push the envelope or do aerobatics. And it may also be I have setup stuff to learn, for instance, changing the response curves for my controllers might help add more realism. But, just like in FSX, developers are doing their best with the tools they have, and sometimes they have to compromise a flight model, so it's right in some places, but not in others.

Granted, I'm comparing it to good quality stuff in FSX, there's certainly a ton of crap there, too. I think in general, the scene just needs to mature.

But I did find several passable military fields in Florida created by NAPS https://naps.blog/airports-and-descriptions/

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the heads up on the military bases. I also use the scenery gateway to search as it’s a little more visual.

I use the map view to narrow down the area I want. The symbols show the airport, a map of the airport layout, and if incorporated into x-plane, the version it was first incorporated.

i also find myself gritting my teeth at the search function at the .org. Having to sift through 90 messages for a file is a real pia.

Members who have read this thread: 0