How to repair Sidewinder Force-Feedback 2 Joystick?

Thread: How to repair Sidewinder Force-Feedback 2 Joystick?

Icon5 How to repair Sidewinder Force-Feedback 2 Joystick?

I'm hoping to find some help with repairing my OLD (15 years?) Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick. It's the front trigger button that's dead, everything else works fine. I'm hesitant to start taking it apart without some guidance.

Of course I could spend $100 or so on a VKB Gladiator Mk II...

Thank you for any suggestions.

jschall,

This thread (although quite old) from the Aces High forum has information on what to get as regards replacement switches: -

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/i...p?topic=144521.

There is also a few 'how to' disassemble and clean/repair (with photos) the MS FF SW2 on (I think) the old IL2 forums - a quick google should do the trick.

It's also worth taking a look on ebay for used ones.

I picked up 3 or 4 at reasonable prices, and sometimes you are lucky to get one at a steal!

(There are two models - the earlier version with a green light, (Blue Box), and the later one which had the red light and came in a black and red box).

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Paul

Many years ago the then technical director of CH Products showed me how WD40 could cure noisy potentiometers. Might work on your trigger. Use sparingly and AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I'm still using my Sidewinder Precision Pro that I bought in 1999. That's a lot of CFS and FS with it. I'm starting to think, you just can't kill the things with normal use.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...stick-overhaul
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I also have been using SideWinder joysticks for a long time.
    The only one (SideWinder Precision Pro) I actually paid full price for was also back around 1999 or so and it was the one that had problems from the start. The centering was just a touch off. Right now it is retired even though it is otherwise mechanically sound.
    I also had SideWinder 3D Pro and SideWinder Precision 2 and at least one SideWinder Force Feedback on a couple machines.

I believe most of the sensors inside the SideWinder are optical rather than potentiometers, so the squeak if you hear it is the bearings.
    If you have a stick with potentiometers, you might want to get some tuner cleaner if there is still a Radio Shack near you.
    That stuff was made to use on electronics such as TV tuners.

Good Luck!
    - Ivan.

Members who have read this thread: 1