Do You Want To Break This Record on FSX?

Thread: Do You Want To Break This Record on FSX?

Icon25 Do You Want To Break This Record on FSX?

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

Here is the photo of the plane flying NON STOP for 64 days, 22 hours, 19 minutes, and 5 seconds. That is how long the Cessna 172 flew without landing from December 1958 to February 1959. The two pilots refueled from a truck and slept in shifts on a single mattress.

Do any of you want to break this record in real life or on FSX?

Regards,

Aharon

While that particular attempt had a purpose (to advertise the Hotel and raise money for a good cause), there's probably a reason it has stood for 60 years, mainly that it would serve no real purpose any more. It was a bold idea, the right guys at the right time in Aviation History. I'm not an aviation history buff so it's not surprising that I've never heard of them or the flight, but I also don't imagine that it's the topic of normal conversation around a keg at your local GA airfield either.

As for going for it in FSX or P3D or X-Plane, it's certainly not impossible, but certifying the flight. . .that might be a different subject altogether. No more than two people (must be the same two people that start the flight) flying constantly for at least 65 straight days, flying a Cessna 172 and using the Duenna to validate the entire flight and show that the aircraft was flown "non-stop". Refueling would have to be done "on-the fly" using a keystroke to invoke the action of topping off the fuel because I believe if you used the drop down menu for Fuel and weight it would show a pause in the Duenna which would invalidate the flight (maybe someone can advise if that's the case or not).

Hmmm, come to think of it, even one refueling might invalidate the flight, regardless of how it was performed. Oh well! Maybe there's a daring duo out there that might take it on, but considering we can't get folks to use the flight server here at SOH for whatever reason. . .finding anyone who has that amount of time to kill might be a stretch. Good Luck!
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

While not exactly the same setup, over in the multiplayer forum we have been doing some long distance non-stop/non-refueling record flights.

The current record is 27 hrs 7 min covering 15,115nm in a Boeing 777-200LR.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-Duenna-Flight

All recorded by the Duenna app which is a freeware addon that logs your flight and everything about it.

Moses

ha ha thanks for cool answers

Anyway, this non stop 64 day event actually happened. The plane is now in museum in airport as seen on this link: https://news3lv.com/features/video-v...ece-of-history

Here is another information on this flight: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...est-circa-1958

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    64 days, 22 hours, 19 minutes, and 5 seconds. - The two pilots refueled from a truck and slept in shifts on a single mattress.
    I guess thats one way to build your hours quickly
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

I guess thats one way to build your hours quickly
    And reach the engine's TBO in one flight!

I used to think completing Lindbergh's flight in real time in FSX would be impressive, but that's nothing compared to this. I was vaguely familiar with this flight IRL, but the retelling in the AOPA article definitely fills in a lot of blanks. Now that I'm officially 'middle-aged', I'd be worried about DVTs if I stayed cooped up in a Cessna for that long! It's really a testament to the men and machinery that the little 172 puttered along for so long.
    -Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    . . . . . . .All recorded by the Duenna app which is a freeware addon that logs your flight and everything about it.
    Moses
    Yep, that was my idea as to how to validate any such endurance flight, but since this requires refueling, I asked the obvious question (to me anyway), "wouldn't the duenna invalidate the flight if it showed a refuel during the flight?". If it would show a refuel but continue to monitor the on-going stats that would be fine, but if it automatically invalidated the flight and stopped recording. . .oh well.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

They did something similar in Yuma, Arizona back in 1949.

http://ronkilber.tripod.com/CityofYuma/CityofYuma.htm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yuma_Endurance_Flight.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	68732

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Yep, that was my idea as to how to validate any such endurance flight, but since this requires refueling, I asked the obvious question (to me anyway), "wouldn't the duenna invalidate the flight if it showed a refuel during the flight?". If it would show a refuel but continue to monitor the on-going stats that would be fine, but if it automatically invalidated the flight and stopped recording. . .oh well.
    It would be flagged in the Duenna as refueled but you could check the amount of fuel added in weight and the time intervals to corroborate a time aloft attempt. (Worth a look anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    While that particular attempt had a purpose (to advertise the Hotel and raise money for a good cause), there's probably a reason it has stood for 60 years, mainly that it would serve no real purpose any more. It was a bold idea, the right guys at the right time in Aviation History. I'm not an aviation history buff so it's not surprising that I've never heard of them or the flight, but I also don't imagine that it's the topic of normal conversation around a keg at your local GA airfield either.

As for going for it in FSX or P3D or X-Plane, it's certainly not impossible, but certifying the flight. . .that might be a different subject altogether. No more than two people (must be the same two people that start the flight) flying constantly for at least 65 straight days, flying a Cessna 172 and using the Duenna to validate the entire flight and show that the aircraft was flown "non-stop". Refueling would have to be done "on-the fly" using a keystroke to invoke the action of topping off the fuel because I believe if you used the drop down menu for Fuel and weight it would show a pause in the Duenna which would invalidate the flight (maybe someone can advise if that's the case or not).

Hmmm, come to think of it, even one refueling might invalidate the flight, regardless of how it was performed. Oh well! Maybe there's a daring duo out there that might take it on, but considering we can't get folks to use the flight server here at SOH for whatever reason. . .finding anyone who has that amount of time to kill might be a stretch. Good Luck!
    While it may be possible to do this with FSX, I wonder if a home computer has ever been actively working 24 hours a day for just under 65 days straight? it would have to have a very good cooling system in it. Besides FSX, I also use my computer for car racing, I can hear my computer fans come on within a half hour sometimes. I don't think I would want to try it.

64 Days?! I have NO desire to fly a cessna for 64 mins! LOL. That's a hard pass from me.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Knowing FSX and P3D I would think a CTD would be your main obstacle.

Very interesting info Aharon, thanks for sharing.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    They did something similar in Yuma, Arizona back in 1949.

http://ronkilber.tripod.com/CityofYuma/CityofYuma.htm

They had that picture, in 8X10, or there-abouts, in the Crossing Restaurant in Yuma. Apparently the crew ate there on the house. They had a plaque with a write-up about it below the picture. It was a real point of pride for them.

I had my second wedding's reception at The Crossing. Fantastic food there. Best Stroghanoff I ever had. From then on, whenever we ate there, that was my order, every time. Love it.
    Great prices for the amount and quality of food as well. My Reception only cost a couple hundred dollars to feed all of us. Only about 15-20 people, but still...
    They just pushed some tables together for us, and were very gracious about the whole affair. Especially with no advance notice that we were coming. Great place indeed!

Have fun all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 0