Question on the new Bf-109G6/AS

Thread: Question on the new Bf-109G6/AS

Question on the new Bf-109G6/AS

For the models depicting the JG27 and JG1 aircraft, should what looks like a long radio antenna hanging down from under the fuselage be there, or under the left wing like the G-10s?

Quote Originally Posted by Browncoat View Post
    For the models depicting the JG27 and JG1 aircraft, should what looks like a long radio antenna hanging down from under the fuselage be there, or under the left wing like the G-10s?

Yes it belongs there. The full designation for those aircraft was Bf109G-6/AS/y. It was an antenna for an additional FuG 16ZY radio installed for flight leaders.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    Yes it belongs there. The full designation for those aircraft was Bf109G-6/AS/y. It was an antenna for an additional FuG 16ZY radio installed for flight leaders.
    Thanks Capt. Hard to keep track of all the different flavors of Bf-109. You learn something new everyday, and these new models are just beautiful. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

...I also wouldn't mind if you folks revisited the Virtual Wings Fw-109D series.

FuG 16ZY Radio Set

Hi;

just to add a tidbit or two, the FuG 16ZY radio set had been around a while, and installations of the antenna had included being located on the fuselage spine in place of the regular R/T antenna mast (Freidrich), and under the fuselage forward of the tail wheel (Emil) (this one might have been retractable? My German is atrocious, and I can't tell from the pictures).

It evidently took a while for production to ramp up, and at first the unit was limited to unit commanders. As more unit became available, the installation became more common, and in the early Gustav the antenna was moved to the under surface of the fuselage next to the fairing that covered the right wing lower bolt attachment point.

By the time the G-14 and G-10 came out, there was sufficient production to make the installation pretty much universal, and of course the antenna was moved to the port wing.

The best coverage of this that I have found is in Harald Vogt's book "Messerschmitt Bf 109: Einsatzmaschinen Das Nachschlagwerk" (VDM 2012).

The team would have to have a discussion before doing a Dora upgrade, but I do still have all the source files, so it is a possibility. We still do have quite a few 109s to go through yet. We have completed the G-6, G-14. G-10, F-4, F-2, and are working on the G-2. There are still other Gustav and Freidrich models to do as well, and of course there is also the Emil, which is in process....

Paul

Nice work on these 109's!! If you have the source files for the Dora Paul, does that mean you still have the source files for the 264?

Thanks for the information Paul. I wish I read German. The book you sourced looks like it would be an amazing read. Just looking at the placement of the antenna, I would expect that it would be easy for it to be damaged when the drop tank was released.

As as far as the Dora, it’s good to read that you still have the source files. If and how you would want to work an upgrade project for the Fw-190D, I’ll certainly leave to you and your talented team. I’ve always appreciated the Doras you built originally for CFS2, and can only imagine what you and your team could do now. But I can certainly understand your desire to focus on what is infront of you.

Are you you planning on working on the Bf-109K?

Various.....

Eddie: yup, still have the source, and developments, of the Me 264. Frankly, given the number of half-completed projects I have, it would be quite a while before that gets pulled into the hangar to be worked on, as there is a lot of other stuff further along that I'd probably blow the dust off first.

Browncoat: We might eventually get to the Kurfust. We just finished up the F-2 and F-4, and we're circling back around and cleaning up the remaining Gustavs first (G-4, G-1, -3 , -5, and the G-12), then we have to finish up the Freidrichs (F-1, and recon versions). Next sub-model will probably by the Emil. At that point, we will have to discuss which direction to go next, earlier or later, or maybe even head off in a completely different direction altogether.

One thing I've noticed is nobody ever commented on the blurred prop. I always hated the flat disk prop, and the prop we are using on the 109 is something I cooked up a number of years ago as a lark. Keltiheart had helped a bit but got sick before he was able to do more than offer a few suggestions. The prop is designed to give a more realistic appearance, notably from the side view, but also from other aspects as well. Needless to say, it is a compromise, and far from perfect, but I like it better than the flat disk. I hope at least that it doesn't detract from the overall look of the model for most folks.

Paul

Paul,

I think the prop works very well. Having played with the plane in both CFS2 and FS9, the animation transitions very nicely between many different settings. That’s not easy to do with propellers in a sim. And you are even working on a G-12 trainer? Part of me cringes with excitement. The thought of being an instructor in the backseat of a 109? that’s the definition of hazardous pay....

Well Paul, I have more time then money, so waiting on the 264 won't be that hard, considering how lucky I am to have a beta copy of it. Ever consider releasing the beta for everyone to see?

Quote Originally Posted by pstrany View Post
    Eddie: yup, still have the source, and developments, of the Me 264. Frankly, given the number of half-completed projects I have, it would be quite a while before that gets pulled into the hangar to be worked on, as there is a lot of other stuff further along that I'd probably blow the dust off first.

Browncoat: We might eventually get to the Kurfust. We just finished up the F-2 and F-4, and we're circling back around and cleaning up the remaining Gustavs first (G-4, G-1, -3 , -5, and the G-12), then we have to finish up the Freidrichs (F-1, and recon versions). Next sub-model will probably by the Emil. At that point, we will have to discuss which direction to go next, earlier or later, or maybe even head off in a completely different direction altogether.

One thing I've noticed is nobody ever commented on the blurred prop. I always hated the flat disk prop, and the prop we are using on the 109 is something I cooked up a number of years ago as a lark. Keltiheart had helped a bit but got sick before he was able to do more than offer a few suggestions. The prop is designed to give a more realistic appearance, notably from the side view, but also from other aspects as well. Needless to say, it is a compromise, and far from perfect, but I like it better than the flat disk. I hope at least that it doesn't detract from the overall look of the model for most folks.

Paul
    Got your message Paul, and have replied, check your emails!

Eddie: Thanks, I received your email, and replied to same. Let's see what I can do.

Browncoat: Yup, the G-12 is in the works. I'm building the interior of the cockpit now. Two versions, one as instructor, the second as student out on a solo flight. Visibility from the rear cockpit is limited with a student pilot in the front cockpit, so it's a hoot to try and fly from that position. I would think the actual experience was probably more of a nail-biter though, and definitely would have required at least a stiff drink afterwards.

With a bit of luck, we'll get it finished up, and into the cycle for release.....

Paul

Members who have read this thread: 0