Time to retire Adobe Photoshop 7.0

Thread: Time to retire Adobe Photoshop 7.0

Time to retire Adobe Photoshop 7.0

hi all, after many years and many (many) fun projects, reskins, etc. with my tried and trusted PS 7.0, Its time to replace it. Windows 10 doesnt support it, and I just did a reinstall of windows, so time to get a new version. For the repainters in the house, what are you using these days? Latest version of PS looks like a subscription based service (and not cheap.). I dont mind paying good money but want to own the executable. Im not a professional and so dont want to pay money every month for a some time tool.

I am looking for a legit source for a newer version of PS, but dont necessarily need the latest version. Any ideas?

I have tried Affinity Photo and quite happy with it. License is 55 Euros for life, no subscription:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

You can try it in a trial version. Similar but not completely the same as Photoshop, so the learning curve is not that steep. It reads psd files.

Hi ejoiner,

Well, I still use PS 7.1 on Win 10. I have an update that saves a *.tga with alpha. It is a bit quirky, but does what is needed. When i get a new PC, I install it using the CD I've had for all these years. If I had to use something else, I'd try Gimp. I have it installed but don't really use it except to convert or save in a different format so that PS 7 will use it. Gimp seems very capable and professional, I just don't want to re-learn a new app if I don't really have to. It's free of course, maybe give it a try. Since PS went to this subscription based mode, I've written them off. I may not use it for 6 months, then want it every day for 12 hours a day for 2 weeks. The subscription is good for them, not so much for the customer, it seems.

62stratfan

I'm running Photo Shop 6 on Windows 10 64 bit, with no problem. All I did is go to the Microsoft web site for instructions to make these older programs compatible with Win-10, I provided the link below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ams-compatible

Respectfully:

David....
    Last edited by David Robles FSX; April 23rd, 2019 at 10:46. Reason: Grammer
    "Remember, all you have to do is ask."

I'm using Photoshop 7.0 in Windows 10 without a problem. Compatibility setting in 'Properties' perhaps?

Corel Paint Shop Pro.
    FAA A&P, FE (TURBOJET),AMEL COMM INST DC-8 & B767/757 TYPE RATEINGS
    FCC GROL

Quote Originally Posted by David Robles FSX View Post
    I'm running Photo Shop 6 on Windows 10 64 bit, with no problem. All I did is go to the Microsoft web site for instructions to make these older programs compatible with Win-10, I provided the link below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ams-compatible

Respectfully:

David....
    Hi David, I had PS7 working fine previously, but I lost my serial number years ago and am not inclined to use a hacked one. Besides, it also barfs on some sort of personalization stuff I dont have any more. Anyway, it is time for a newer version. Thing is Im a very good user of PS7!

Still running Paint Shop Pro 7 on Win 8.1. I get a registry error message on startup but otherwise it works fine. Yes, it is very old now but I know it inside and out and can work very fast.

I also have PSP v8.1 installed to open PSD files and resave them so I can use they in PSP 7. I also have Photoshop 6.0 and Photoshop CS2 installed but I really don't use them.

If you are used to/competent with Photoshop then definitely stick with it. There is nothing to gain switching interfaces.
    Heck, I didn't even like the way PSP changed over the years and simply stuck with PSP6.
    If/when I HAVE TO - I sometimes struggle ineptly with other vers.....then can't wait to get back to 6 ....

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    I have tried Affinity Photo and quite happy with it. License is 55 Euros for life, no subscription:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

You can try it in a trial version. Similar but not completely the same as Photoshop, so the learning curve is not that steep. It reads psd files.
    This is an interesting looking tool. Does it support the DDS file format? or extended BMPs?

I switched to the basic Photoshop CC subscription (which includes Lightroom and other stuff) and never looked back. I use it a lot and for me its worth every penny.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    This is an interesting looking tool. Does it support the DDS file format? or extended BMPs?
    Unfortunately not at the moment but plugins may come soon. You will need to use a converter like DXTBMP.

Photoshop Elements, the "consumer" version of the software, is $99 (and goes on sale for less) if you want to own the software. Photoshop hasn't been available outside of subscription since CS6.

The subscription is actually a great deal if you use the program much. For $120 a year, I get way more than enough value, but I use it a lot for my photography hobby. All the upgrades are included as part of the subscription. It costs me less than the old way of buying a copy for $400-ish and spending hundreds on upgrades over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Photoshop Elements, the "consumer" version of the software, is $99 (and goes on sale for less) if you want to own the software. Photoshop hasn't been available outside of subscription since CS6.

The subscription is actually a great deal if you use the program much. For $120 a year, I get way more than enough value, but I use it a lot for my photography hobby. All the upgrades are included as part of the subscription. It costs me less than the old way of buying a copy for $400-ish and spending hundreds on upgrades over the years.
    Photoshop is a very complex tool. I seriously hate to lose PS7. I've used it so long Im pretty much an power user with it. If I need to, I'll pay the money for the newest version, but will take awhile to relearn the tool. Thats ok. Im an old dog...but new tricks are still possible!

Paint.net is what I've been using for a few years now. It'll handle PSP and PS files and do anything PS and PSP will do and the price is right to boot. I've got PS CS2 and PSP X. I haven't used them in a long time now.

Dds files are supported and bump maps are a snap with it.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Paint.net is what I've been using for a few years now. It'll handle PSP and PS files and do anything PS and PSP will do and the price is right to boot. I've got PS CS2 and PSP X. I haven't used them in a long time now.

Dds files are supported and bump maps are a snap with it.
    That's my experience too. Paint.net doesn't have Photoshop's enormous range of features but it has enough whistles & bells to make it a viable alternative, at least for my level of painting. For what it's worth I found it easier to get into than Photoshop and very well supported by the developer and community. I'm not knocking Photoshop - my stepson has used it since his GCSEs and right through university and he'd never use anything else for his photography.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned GIMP. I've used it for years, it supports more or less everything, and it's free!
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned GIMP. I've used it for years, it supports more or less everything, and it's free!
    ...er....mentioned in #3, where #1 was the OP ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    ...er....mentioned in #3, where #1 was the OP ...
    I didn't see it for looking! Must need knew glasses...
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    Yes it's a fine tool but Photoshop shine in texturing for FSX with his easiest way to work on alpha channel! With Gimp it's more difficult !

JMC

Quote Originally Posted by gastonj View Post
    Yes it's a fine tool but Photoshop shine in texturing for FSX with his easiest way to work on alpha channel! With Gimp it's more difficult !

JMC
    I decided to sign up for the 20 buck a month plan with Photoshop. its just the premium tool out there. I hate subscription models, but why fool around.

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    I decided to sign up for the 20 buck a month plan with Photoshop. its just the premium tool out there. I hate subscription models, but why fool around.
    Way to go, ejoiner
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Members who have read this thread: 0