Making AI Wingmen land

Thread: Making AI Wingmen land

Making AI Wingmen land

I built a brief and quickie mission to test how well AI wingmen can land a particular airplane.

Trouble is: they aren't trying to land, even though the last waypoint designates "Land at base."

So...how do I get them to land?

Which airplane?

Some will, some won't, and some will try but cock it up and crash. It's all in the .air file design
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

You should also be looking at your last waypoints. It seems to me that they need a straight glide path lined up on the landing coordinates from a good distance and at the right speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    Which airplane?

Some will, some won't, and some will try but cock it up and crash. It's all in the .air file design
    It's the AH_Spitfire, but it is a modified .air file from a different spit. Does everything well, but the attempted AI landing at Hornchurch looked nightmarish.

I want to see if I can fix that.

I built a mission just for watching the landings, but can't get them to attempt a landing yet.

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    You should also be looking at your last way-points. It seems to me that they need a straight glide path lined up on the landing coordinates from a good distance and at the right speed.
    Hmmm..., I'm not sure this is the case Ravenna. The runway entry itself tells the AI everything it needs to know about where to line up and begin its final approach. However, it has been a really long time since I have done any serious mission building and I could be talking out of my you know where. I'd need to create a new mission and see.. stand-by....

Yep, it looks like the final way-point can pretty much be anywhere. Just going by this very simple mission- out and back with some spawning of friendly AC. Every AI- the AI flights spawned nearer to the target and the AIs flying with the player came back and landed safely.

MR
    Last edited by MaskRider; April 17th, 2019 at 17:07.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Okay, got them trying to land, but they are attempting to land waaay short of the airfield in the grass. And of course, they blow up there. Is that an airfield issue?

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    Hmmm..., I'm not sure this is the case Ravenna. The runway entry itself tells the AI everything it needs to know about where to line up and begin its final approach. However, it has been a really long time since I have done any serious mission building and I could be talking out of my you know where. I'd need to create a new mission and see.. stand-by....

Yep, it looks like the final way-point can pretty much be anywhere. Just going by this very simple mission- out and back with some spawning of friendly AC. Every AI- the AI flights spawned nearer to the target and the AIs flying with the player came back and landed safely.

MR
    Thanks MR, I've been focusing too much on waypoints and approach to runway then. Many thanks for setting me straight.
    Cheers,
    Ravenna
    T

I have found that when you set your waypoint to land, the aircraft line up on the approach glide path and at a distance to land properly as Maskrider says. Sometimes they land, sometimes they crash and sometimes they land and crash into me. As Captain Kurt says, it's probably a separate plane/airfile issue. When a mission calls for me to land on a runway, not a carrier, I come in, watching my wingmen, that they don't fly into me. When the message; "You may land or hit X to end the mission" I usually hit X in order to save wingmen and not spoil an otherwise good mission. Wingmen losses are critical in most long campaigns and I don't like to risk them.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Wingmen are landing Short

I'm finally getting the wingmen to attempt a landing, but they are trying to land far short of the runway. They try landing in a field and blow up.

This is at Henderson field with MaskRider's scenery. Any chance there's a conflict between MaskRider's field position and the default runway position?

Library Staff
    Yes, the airbases.dat entry for Henderson needs to changed from the stock one to MaskRider's.

Wingmen landing short of the runway? Look in the airbases.dat file in the INFO folder. Each airfield has an entry that reads landing_touchdown_pos=XXX. This is the point that the AI aim for on landing. It's the distance from the center of the runway. I believe it is in meters. Reduce this number until the wingmen land a little beyond the runway threshold.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Members who have read this thread: 0