The Douglas JD-1 (USN A-26 Invader) variant.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Douglas JD-1 (USN A-26 Invader) variant.

The Douglas JD-1 (USN A-26 Invader) variant?

Is it possible to modify the available model, so a JD-1 Invader paint could be created? My friend, retired Master Chief Frank Turchi, runs the maintenance technical publications library for the Naval Aviation Museum. He has been the source for a LOT of publications that I have uploaded to SOH; the most recent being the A-7 checklist series. Frank, in his early USN career (over 30 years) was stationed at China Lake. He was aircrew on JD-s there. He recently had a computer system put together, and hasn't had time to even turn it on, as he is so busy. But! He is planning to download P3D, and wants me to help him set it up, including adding the Invader. However, the current version does not have the JD-1 with the clear nose (just the front clear nose).

This is how the aircraft looked when Frank was at China Lake. Only thing different, he tells me, is the tail had China Lake lettering. NC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UNK-580000-01.jpg   vu3jd1_02_16feb2002.jpg  
    Last edited by Navy Chief; April 16th, 2019 at 09:46.

NC, to do a JD-1 with clear nose should be workable. The same with KDA Firebee drone or other convertions. I have to do some investigations about Milton and team´s models now, that needs some time. And I have questions: Are there other people working on a JD-1? Are repaints available?

Thomas

Hey TiAr,

There is someone who is working on one, and he suggested that I see if a model could be created so the repaint would be accurate. NC

Thanks, good to see, someone is on it.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Hey TiAr,

There is someone who is working on one, and he suggested that I see if a model could be created so the repaint would be accurate. NC
    He can paint the nose glass so the glass is correct-ish. What other differences are there? The model.a26cng has no turrets with glass.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    He can paint the nose glass so the glass is correct-ish. What other differences are there? The model.a26cng has no turrets with glass.
    I will have to ask my friend Frank Turchi. If he doesn't know, he can definitely find out. NC

Most of the Navy JD-1 are different, depending of usage. Overall said, unarmed, IMHO double cockpit, unique glass nose or covered/solid nose, with and without radar equipment behind. Antennas are different. When used as target towing aircraft, there are a lot of modifications inside bomb bay. There is most of the towing equipment like cable rolls etc.

http://napoleon130.tripod.com/id640.html

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hype...n-t209463.html

Thomas

Thanks for all the information, TiAr!

Frank told me that when the Invader at the museum first arrived here at Pensacola, the front nose was damaged. It was restored, but without the clear nose. NC

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    Great idea, but I don't think it is quite that easy. I expect the 3D model will need to be altered.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Great idea, but I don't think it is quite that easy. I expect the 3D model will need to be altered.
    Which is what I was thinking.... NC

No, painting over the top of the glass nose can't be done. I've lashed up a model by cutting the nose off the A-26B model and making it transparent. This approximates to the principle JD-1target tug model; some early ones had the standard glazed nose with the top section skinned over and at least a few had standard solid noses. Needs a pylon under each wing to complete. Working on a skin for it atm.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    No, painting over the top of the glass nose can't be done. I've lashed up a model by cutting the nose off the A-26B model and making it transparent. This approximates to the principle JD-1target tug model; some early ones had the standard glazed nose with the top section skinned over and at least a few had standard solid noses. Needs a pylon under each wing to complete. Working on a skin for it atm.

DaveQ
    Thanks Dave! Frank Turchi will appreciate it as well. I've tried to get him to join SOH, but he's not into forums, period. I get it, but he has so much he could share. His main hobby is RC aircraft. NC

Very nice project indeed. Question: Do the bomb doors opens in P3D4.5? I have read the manual/info - but I have no success with all the models in dl here on SOH for FSX/P3D.

Thomas

The bomb doors open with the spoiler key in FSX. They should be tied to a switch - I'll check out why that doesn't work and fix it soon as I can. JD-1 should be ready by the weekend. Paint's done but been trying different ways of doing the glass nose.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Done. Lots of tweaking today. I'll post as soon as I can get time. This is still an FSX model; I may convert it to P3Dv4.4 with PBR to get the right shine

DaveQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JD-1 2.jpg   JD-1 1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Done. Lots of tweaking today. I'll post as soon as I can get time. This is still an FSX model; I may convert it to P3Dv4.4 with PBR to get the right shine

DaveQ
    YES! Thanks for your efforts! NC

Nicely done, sir!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks stansdds!

Uploaded today, along with a repaint of 89075 from VU-3 at China Lake. Some 150 JD-1's were supplied to the U.S. Navy and in use up until the early 1960's. The majority were from cancelled RAF orders, others from surplus stock. They were used by 7 utility squadrons for a number of secondary roles, including Ryan Firebee drone control and for target towing. Most were modified with a new observation station in a glazed nose.

For my next trick I'm going to try converting this to P3Dv4.4 and doing the PBR thing on it. This will give a more realistic finish to the paint.

Also uploaded a modification to the bomb door switch in the vc to enable the doors to be opened from the panel - this applies to all military models with functioning bomb doors.

DaveQ

(See also FSX Invader thread.)

Great to see a JD-1. Very nice model and thank you very much.

I did the USAF equivalent, a DB-26C. 44-35666 assigned to the Air Missile Development Command at Holloman AFB. Day Orange was applied to all of the Drone Carriers in 1959. I will create a Ryan XQ-2C and a Q-2A drone for this model. I think I can do something similar to your JD-1.

Thomas

Thank you so much, DaveQ and TiAr!! I am so anxious to get these models installed in P3D and on my friend,Frank Turchi's as well NC

Outstanding work! When can we download these?
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Congrats for outstanding input in this masterpiece

Hi Dave, Tiar and all team,

I appreciate your hard work you put in this plane. Can I ask when you'll have time to release p3d-v4 version?

Kind Regards.
    EE

Wow, the landing gear is long enough to clear the drone mounted in the bomb bay?
    whatchyaworkinon?

Members who have read this thread: 2