Notre Dame

Thread: Notre Dame

Notre Dame

Another kind of skyship is burning tonight

I am sadly watching the news, wishing all the luck to the brave firefighters of Paris.

Notre Dame is more than a cathedral for the French people an people of Europe .

I am shure, one day she will rise again in all her beauty .

yes, its a very, very sad news from Today.

I was here two times .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Icon9 Reply...

A truly sad loss for the world, Notre Dame is as much of an icon for France as the State of Liberty is for the United States. Ironic, because they're actually both French.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Even if they rebuild, mankind has lost an 800+ year-old piece of history. This is a tragedy for France, a terrible loss for the whole World.

Tragic...great loss for universal culture

Fundraising for the reconstruction is already well under way. Two billionaires already pledged 300.000.000€ and the city of Paris 10.000.000€.

Now we can only hope that the structure itself isn't damaged too badly.

A sad day for humanity indeed.

Priller

Funding stands at 460.000.000,-€ for the moment.

priller

Did somebody already patch the Paris landmark scenery accordingly?

(Too mean?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post

(Too mean?)

Cees

(Too mean?)
    Indeed! is it a bad joke? Indeed! you can always make a hole in the roof if it pleases you! Walls still there...

Yes they seem to have had a certain amount of luck on their side, thankfully. Walls intact so can hopefully restore it.

(Too mean?)
    No comment...

(Too mean?)
    No comment...

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Stones crack and weaken when exposed to fire like that. Last I heard they were still spraying water on the outside of the building to cool it down. When it's possible for them to begin a detailed examination of the entire remaining structure - which could take many months, or even years - we will know.

I don't know how much experience anyone has in predicting what can be done to restore an 800+ year old building.

Notre-Dame will certainly be restored as soon as possible (5 to 10 years) but first, national heritage management services must clean and secure the cathedral and choose how to do it (identical or not). The good news is that in any case the funds already seem planned. France has a great experience in the restoration of secular buildings, it will not be the original lost forever but it will be perfect.
    JMC

Mr. Macron expects to do it within 5 years. I doubt that...

Last time they needed 23 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Heukie View Post
    Mr. Macron expects to do it within 5 years. I doubt that...
    I wonder (suspiciously) if it will kill off the Yellow Vest protests that Paris has been suffering these past 6 months.. Hush my mouth
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Last time they needed 23 years.
    Everything will depend on the techniques used. The destroyed arrow was rebuilt by Viollet Le Duc in the 19th century. After the 1st World War the cathedral of Reims was rebuilt quickly.
    If the framework is rebuilt in oak like the original, the drying of the wood will take time. A colossal amount is necessary and current stocks are insufficient.

JMC

Reports are the huge trees that provided the original roof trusses in the size needed are no longer available as those forests don't exist anymore. It will be interesting to see how the experts tackle that problem and what they offer as an eventual solution. In the meantime they need to figure out a way to temporarily cover the structure in order to protect what's left of the interior from the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    Reports are the huge trees that provided the original roof trusses in the size needed are no longer available as those forests don't exist anymore. It will be interesting to see how the experts tackle that problem and what they offer as an eventual solution. In the meantime they need to figure out a way to temporarily cover the structure in order to protect what's left of the interior from the elements.
    No, these reports are wrong. Huge trees forests (more of 100 years old oak) exist today but the problem is the stock of dry wood (sawn trees) of the size required. France export oak wood of big size and today there is not enough stock. If the oak reconstruction is choosen it will take longer then 5 years!
    Notre-Dame was damaged several times, especially during the first revolution , but always rebuilt (the arrow 100 years later)! Notre-Dame is not the biggest cathedral of France (perhaps Rouen) but it's the one of Paris,a French symbol, and the most famous thank's to Victor Hugo.

JMC

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Well, France gave us the Statue of Liberty - I'm wondering if it's time to return the favor and contribute some American oak to the rebuilding.

Gaston, thank you for the correction.

Members who have read this thread: 0