Notre Dame Cathedral is burning to the ground! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning to the ground!

Blog Entries
    Back on point....

The only person responsible for this tragedy knows who they are, or possibly it was an industrial accident. Fact of the matter here is that the timber and architectural sculpture was ancient by any standards and tinder dry. The resulting firestorm destroyed (part of) an architectural icon that is utterly irreplaceable. The structure can be rebuilt, but that ancient forest no longer exists, which makes it impossible to simply replace the original. The re-built structure will be a pale replica.

For me, this is a tragedy that transcends people, ideologies or political biases. If and when the facts regarding this incident are revealed we can deal with our sense of loss in our own personal ways.

Daveroo...I love you bro, but ease up man. Tensions are high as it is, no need to provoke another firestorm.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    And let's keep any form of 'Politics' firmly locked away people.
    Huub is right, water bombing on a building that is 850 years old, a combination of masonry and timber construction, in the heart of a densely populated metroplis is just a bad idea.
    Despite the 'Notre Dame is burning to the ground' headline it wasn't and didn't, through the expertise and courage of le pompiers it appears that a large part of the relics and associated treasure has been saved.
    Even the stained glass windows appear to have been saved.
    Out-bloody-standing!

Reminder: NO POLITICS!
    Yes. It looks like the only parts of the interior of the cathedral that were burned were where the sections of vaulted ceiling failed (like the section the spire caved in when it fell) allowing embers to fall to the floor. Video from a drone today showed that where most of the roof fell it was retained above the intact sections of the ceiling. All things considered the interior looks remarkably good with even sections of pews intact. Finding old growth forest to replace the roof will be a trick though. I read some of the trees it was built from were 3-400 years old. It will be interesting to see what things really look like once the debris is removed and things start to get cleaned up.

We are flying to France on the 20th for the Villers-Bretonneux ANZAC service on the 25th, so naturally Paris is on our schedule.
    I'll drive to Villers-Bretonneux straight from CDG (weather forecast for the 25th........cold to freezing!) and return to Paris as things at Notre Dame will be clearer several days on.
    'Madame Wombat' has a French father and an Italian mother, a 'Parisian' when in France and a 'Roman' in Italy, so naturally Notre Dame is embedded in her heritage.
    Nothing to do with religion (we don't 'do' religion FWIW), more to do with the Cathedral having been a focal point of Paris for centuries.

'C'est la vie'.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    We are flying to France on the 20th for the Villers-Bretonneux ANZAC service on the 25th, so naturally Paris is on our schedule.
    I'll drive to Villers-Bretonneux straight from CDG (weather forecast for the 25th........cold to freezing!) and return to Paris as things at Notre Dame will be clearer several days on.
    'Madame Wombat' has a French father and an Italian mother, a 'Parisian' when in France and a 'Roman' in Italy, so naturally Notre Dame is embedded in her heritage.
    Nothing to do with religion (we don't 'do' religion FWIW), more to do with the Cathedral having been a focal point of Paris for centuries.

'C'est la vie'.
    Sounds like fun! If you need a luggage-monkey, I'm available
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Members who have read this thread: 0