The Joy of CFS2...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Joy of CFS2...

Icon22 Thanks for all of your help Guys

It has been years since I was in CFS2 and your help has made me enjoy the game more than I did before. Many people that were into the game has gone up in smoke, shot down I suppose.
    The people that remain are great and wonderful please keep it up.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries

The Joy of CFS2...

So glad i've got back into CFS2.A long lost friend. Thinking of adding a ETO install but not sure. Have CFS3 and all of it's expansions and several installs of IL-2 '46. They seem to cover most all else. CFS2 is so easy to fly in i can concentrate on having fun instead. Seems a little daunting setting CFS2 for the ETO ,but doable. Would y'all recommend the CFS2 ETO even if i have the other sims ? There seems to be a lot of stuff for it and was wondering if it is worthwhile. Hard to beat CFS3 and IL-2 in this regard and like the graphics and flight modeling of them. How does CFS2 aircraft flight modeling compare to CFS3 and IL-2 '46 ? Know the AI is a little lacking ,but what else ? Thanks for any help. See the new Bf-109's and really like them so it just got me thinking about another install. Regards,Scott

I have multiple installs of CFS 2 however, I installed them by eras. I have WWI, WWII, Korea, and Modern. I did that so I can focus on missions and campaigns that are similar in aircraft and ground units.

I have multiple CFS 2 installs. All WWII theaters and some by early or late war depending! BOB, ETO late, MTO, PTO early, CBI, PTO late and RAAF (Australia -New Guinea). I have several to keep number of missions and campaigns simple for my simple mind.

Quote Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
    I have multiple CFS 2 installs. All WWII theaters and some by early or late war depending! BOB, ETO late, MTO, PTO early, CBI, PTO late and RAAF (Australia -New Guinea). I have several to keep number of missions and campaigns simple for my simple mind.
    You sound like me Highpockets, I too have multiple installs, covering various theaters at various times of the war. I am currently working on an update of one of my campaigns, based (as much as I can) on a Rhumbaflappy PTO install. I have some "holes" in the scenery - like the Philippines and a few in Micronesia - but I'm making some good progress.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Shadow Wolf

Blog Entries

ETO Blues...

Interested in the ETO for CFS2. Started to download everything but limits set in a shut that down. Now to wait till tomorrow. Can't wait till i get it all installed. Patience,patience.... Hopeful that installing won't be too hard.Got the tutorial so souldn't be too hard. Easier than some IL-2 '46 expansions. Can't wait to get the new Bf-109's in the "air" ! Cheers,Scott

Icon22 Reply...

Sixstrings5859,

I gave you an upgrade to Charter Member Past and reset your download counter to zero. Uncle Rami is just cool like that, so download away. If you hit your new 200 download / 3 GB limit, just holler.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Blog Entries
    Thank you all. On a fixed income so I haven't donated yet, but will soon. Especially now. Thanks again! Regards, Scott.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to you Rami ,i got everything downloaded,for the most part. Now comes installing everything !The fun now begins ! All that's left would be more airbases and some other mods as far as sim look/feel goes. Then all the wonderful aircraft! Can't wait to get it done ! Thanks for the help. Regards,Scott

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

I'd like to say a special thanks to Rami for all the work he has done for the CFS2 community. The ETO install guide is very helpful for someone that has been out of the CFS2 scene for quite a while. Thanks to all for your work in keeping CFS2 vibrant after all these years. Regards,Scott

Icon22 Reply...

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    I'd like to say a special thanks to Rami for all the work he has done for the CFS2 community. The ETO install guide is very helpful for someone that has been out of the CFS2 scene for quite a while. Thanks to all for your work in keeping CFS2 vibrant after all these years. Regards,Scott
    Scott,

My pleasure. Once the semester is over, I'm so looking forward to getting back into CFS2 again!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Be careful sixstrings.....
    CFS2 can be the "other woman" in your life.

I'm like so many others. I have multiple installs: ATO (North Africa), ETO East, ETO West, MTO, PTO USN, PTO USMC, PTO BPF, PTO USAAC.

Once in a while I actually fly some missions and campaigns.....LOL.
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog73 View Post
    Be careful sixstrings.....
    CFS2 can be the "other woman" in your life.
    So true...

Blog Entries
    Between CFS3,IL-2 '46,and now CFS2 i barely have time for anything else ! Quit watching TV and haven't played guitar in quite a while. I'm lucky as my wife hasn't started complaining "yet". But who knows how long that will go. Make sure i do my chores and spend a "little" quality time with her. You all know how it is ! CFS2 is really addicting and a whole lot of fun. Thanks to all those who make it possible. Cheers,Scott

How To Integrate New Planes to CFS2

I Ricky Niell sent me some new planes to add to my copy of CFS2. I notice that when I unzip them that they have similar directory names to what is included in what came with my original copy of CFS2. The readme with the new plane info just tells me to unpack and move to the directory containing my copy of CFS2. I just want to be sure that I am correctly understanding the process.

On another topic, I notice that other than carrier landings and take offs there are no ground support missions. I am am an absolute novice flyer and thought that some ground support flying might help me better get ready for air-to-air engagements. Are there any missions available that I can add to my copy of CFS2?

Thanks to all,

Otrman

Quote Originally Posted by Otrman View Post
    ...I am am an absolute novice flyer and thought that some ground support flying might help me better get ready for air-to-air engagements. ...
    Otrman, while there is a good availability of assorted ground support stuff - also included in the stock USN campaign - your best ticket to A2A proficiency is an a high dosage of Quick Combat (QC as we call it). If you set your player aircraft to respawn on collisions and shootdowns you can just keep plugging away nonstop.

As a beginner, its better to take on two or three enemies at a time with no wingmen to command or herd like confused, wayward sheep - just you and a few bad guys. You don't want to get into flight management until you have a good grasp on your own skills. And as you improve don't always be quick to kill the last remaining bogey. Just play with it a bit with trailing maneuvers and attempts at "flying formation" to learn how the AI think and move - like mock combat without pulling the trigger at the first good look. This can be very informative, as well a good way to sharpen your combat instincts. Just don't let that last one get behind you!

After you're done playing around with it and its trying hard to shake you, try disengaging, running away and then re-engaging head-on to get a feel for the focused, one-on-one, head to head scenarios.

Lets get after it...

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

I Ricky Niell sent me some new planes to add to my copy of CFS2. I notice that when I unzip them that they have similar directory names to what is included in what came with my original copy of CFS2. The readme with the new plane info just tells me to unpack and move to the directory containing my copy of CFS2. I just want to be sure that I am correctly understanding the process.

Thanks to all,

Otrman
    Hi Otrman,
    Sounds like they could be Overhauled planes. These are upgrades to the stock aircraft.
    If so just let them over-write the stock Aircraft.
    If you want to be on the safe-side create a folder and back up the stock Aircraft into it.

Hope this helps,
    B24Guy

On another topic, I notice that other than carrier landings and take offs there are no ground support missions. I am am an absolute novice flyer and thought that some ground support flying might help me better get ready for air-to-air engagements. Are there any missions available that I can add to my copy of CFS2?

Thanks to all,

Otrman
    Bearcat is absolutely right. You can best hone your flying skills in QuickCombat. I used to spend hours taking on wave after wave.

Alternatively, you could take on a single wave and, if you survive, see how many building on the airfield you can strafe into oblivion. Much fun.

There are at least 2 stock USN campaign missions that are ground attack. Copy the USN campaign missions from the Campaigns folder and paste them into your main Missions folder to find them by name. Also, I have an old ship attack mission that I made years ago that uses all stock objects. I can send it to you if you like.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

VF-19 Satan's Kittens has ground attack missions included in the campaign.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

CAS Mission

Otrman - I have made a simple CAS mission for you.

You will strafe Japanese troops and light tanks.
    Mostly uses default objects. You must download and install one thing:

Iwo Jima Boys (US and Japanese troops). You can get it here:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=17&id=8748

CAS-Mission.zip

USN Missions

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    There are at least 2 stock USN campaign missions that are ground attack. Copy the USN campaign missions from the Campaigns folder and paste them into your main Missions folder to find them by name. Also, I have an old ship attack mission that I made years ago that uses all stock objects. I can send it to you if you like.
    Thank you - I will try them. I have seen mention of something called Mission Builder but I do not see anything in my CXF2 folder. What am I missing.

Otrman

Thank you - I will try them. I have seen mention of something called Mission Builder but I do not see anything in my CXF2 folder. What am I missing.

Otrman
    Open the CFS2 folder and find the cfs2.exe file. Right click on it and select "Create shortcut." Right click on the shortcut created and select "Properties." In the top of the window that opens, under the title "Target" edit the ending to read: ...\cfs2.exe" /BUILDER. Pay particular attention to the fact that there is a space between the cfs2.exe" and the /BUILDER Save and close; and now the shortcut itself will open MB for you. Mission Builder is a very useful tool in learning CFS2.

If you think of dabbling, Cody Coyote's Mission Building Handbook is a must read. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=49&id=3972

SW07
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf 07; April 26th, 2019 at 13:05.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

What makes this Sim special is it mission builder and the ability to fly all over the world.

Members who have read this thread: 0