FS2004_AVRO 646 Sea Tutor - UPLOADED! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FS2004_AVRO 646 Sea Tutor - UPLOADED!

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Have to agree that Swingman's Duck was fun.

Ahhh those Voughts... also have my eye on a rather neglected Vultee, and a certain Curtiss that more than pulled her weight in service, but was never the glamour girl star of aviation pundits.

Then there are those old Westland beasties, and of course the Hawker thoroughbreds that never quite received the 'treatment' for FSAnything...

Just sayin'...
    Hey Nigel,

You have excellent taste. In other words, yours is similar to mine.

On my own I never would have thought of the Avros (I didn't even realize that there was a whole series of variants) but now they're already among my most very favorite FS planes. I'm sure that whatever you come up with next will make me very happy!

Ted Cook did a series of Hawkers. They don't have nearly the level of detail as the Avros, but they're very nice and they were very easy to paint. A collection of Hawkers with the quality of the Avros would be impressive indeed!

HMS Frobisher

I painted the plane from HMS Frobisher. Painted isn't really the right word. I removed the rudder stripes from Nigel's RAF skin and added the fuselage code. I guess I should say that I edited Nigel's skin to resemble the Frobisher's plane.

I didn't even change the serial. That's because I couldn't remove the original one from the lower wings without ruining Nigel's beautiful details and shading.

Since I did so little work, and didn't even put on the authentic serial, I don't feel like releasing it as "my" repaint. But for those interested enough in the Sea Tutor to be following this thread, and doesn't mind if the serial number isn't correct, you're welcome to grab a copy of the edited textures from my A-Drive account:

https://www.adrive.com/public/H5PCzN/Avro%20646%20HMS%20Frobisher.zip

I copied from this profile:

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I painted the plane from HMS Frobisher. Painted isn't really the right word. I removed the rudder stripes from Nigel's RAF skin and added the fuselage code. I guess I should say that I edited Nigel's skin to resemble the Frobisher's plane.

I didn't even change the serial. That's because I couldn't remove the original one from the lower wings without ruining Nigel's beautiful details and shading.

Since I did so little work, and didn't even put on the authentic serial, I don't feel like releasing it as "my" repaint. But for those interested enough in the Sea Tutor to be following this thread, and doesn't mind if the serial number isn't correct, you're welcome to grab a copy of the edited textures from my A-Drive account:

https://www.adrive.com/public/H5PCzN/Avro%20646%20HMS%20Frobisher.zip

I copied from this profile:

Love it, Mick!!!

Paintkit's almost ready - still trying to lose some weight on the upload size :-/
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Love it, Mick!!!
    Paintkit's almost ready - still trying to lose some weight on the upload size :-/
    Thanks Nigel,

Maybe when the paint kit comes out I can correct the serial without ruining the detail beneath it.

Meanwhile, my techie friend finally got my FS drive up and running, and after almost a year and a half my repair cum upgrade is finally finished. So today I plan to fly the Sea Tutor! Woot!

I've done all my 'repaints' of the Avro's without a paint kit.. and haven't lost any surface detail.
    I have a technique!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wing_L_LWR_t.jpg   Untitled.jpg  

E Unum Pluribus

With apologies to our friends in the USA for "corrupting" their National motto!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avro 621 Hybrid.jpg   E Unum Pluribus.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Bushi View Post
    I've done all my 'repaints' of the Avro's without a paint kit.. and haven't lost any surface detail.
    I have a technique!
    You do indeed!

You're also a more talented painter than I am.

Nice work!

I seldom use paint kits because I seldom find them helpful. But some of them are, and maybe the one for the Avro will be one of those.

Blog Entries
    I have a technique!

Beautiful paints, Dave.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by djs1 View Post
    With apologies to our friends in the USA for "corrupting" their National motto!!
    Yummy resourcefulness, djs1!!!

And a PWS-18 livery on the 621, too - now there's one I hadn't imagined.

Awesome!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Blog Entries

I seldom use paint kits because I seldom find them helpful. But some of them are, and maybe the one for the Avro will be one of those.
    Hope so, Mick!

The paintkit format is fully layered Photoshop PSD - it includes most of the existing liveries, too.
    I've also purposefully left the original paths used which should also come in handy.

All this comes at a cost though - it'll be a 3 part upload/download!

Using the paintkit should be a case of dropping your own paint layers towards the bottom of the stack - everything else; light/shadow, details etc., etc. is done for you.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

I just uploaded an updated, fully authentic skin for thew HMS Frobisher plane.

It now has the correct serial number.

If you took a copy of the earlier version that was attached to a post in this thread, note that I originally referred the skin to the Mongoose-powered model. Wrong! Sorry. It goes with the Lynx model, the version with the Townsend ring cowl.

Portuguese Tutor

So, I was playing around with the floatplane quite a while back, and did a paint of a Portuguese Navy one.

However, the floatplane model I had at the time was the standard two seater, while the Portuguese ones seem to have the 'turret ring' third position on the upper fuselage, even though it has a cover over it.
    I'm happy with it like this.. but some who want to be 'historically correct' might want the correct variant.

So, Nigel, is there a chance a model with the covered round 'turret ring' third position will come out of the hangar one day?

ps.. Even with the countless hours in the 621 logbook over the past year, (hand flown circumnavigating the Sahara in beta testing..LOL), it is STILL one of my favorite airplanes to just spend an hour 'bumbling about' in when I have the chance. on floats and wheels! Again.. THANK YOU for this wonderful little airplane!!!!!!!

Cheers
    Dave

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails portugese2.jpg   portuguese sea tutor 1.jpg   portuguese sea tutor 2.jpg  

You do indeed!

You're also a more talented painter than I am.

Nice work!

Thank you Mick, and I wouldn't say I'm a more talented painter.. LOL

I've just mucked about with so many airplanes without paint kits over the years that I've picked up a few tricks with Photoshop.. and I'm even using an old CS3 version of it.
    cheers
    Dave

Blog Entries
    So, I was playing around with the floatplane quite a while back, and did a paint of a Portuguese Navy one.

However, the floatplane model I had at the time was the standard two seater, while the Portuguese ones seem to have the 'turret ring' third position on the upper fuselage, even though it has a cover over it.
    I'm happy with it like this.. but some who want to be 'historically correct' might want the correct variant.

So, Nigel, is there a chance a model with the covered round 'turret ring' third position will come out of the hangar one day?

ps.. Even with the countless hours in the 621 logbook over the past year, (hand flown circumnavigating the Sahara in beta testing..LOL), it is STILL one of my favorite airplanes to just spend an hour 'bumbling about' in when I have the chance. on floats and wheels! Again.. THANK YOU for this wonderful little airplane!!!!!!!

Cheers
    Dave

Pleased to hear you're still enjoying the aircraft, Dave.

The pretty Portugese aircraft was indeed a 3 seater - the AVRO 626 Prefect.
    Whilst AVRO never actually manufactured a float version of the Prefect, Greece and Portugal produced license built aircraft several of which were fitted with floats at a local level.

We have built and tested several wheeled versions of the 626 Prefect which will probably be released end of Summer - Autumn, due to real world priorities.

Due to the substantially higher poly-count of the Prefect, attempts to export a float version for FS9 have so far unfortunately been prohibitive.

We'll see, Dave.

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Blog Entries

HMS Frobisher - Double RUM rations, Mick!

Now how could any Devon boy resist this keeper!

Thank'ee Mick!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2019-apr-23-001.jpg  

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Auuuuuugh !!!!

I messed it up again!

This time I neglected to include the new vertical tail in the zip file!

It looks a lot nicer with the RAF rudder stripes, but the Frobisher plane didn't have them.

I've deleted yesterday's upload fro the library and posted a corrected this morning.

This is what I get for trying to paint a "quick" (not really) and "easy" (not at all!) repaint when I'm being hammered with demands on my time and attention.

The corrected copy should be available as soon as Rami does his librarian thing, presumably this evening.

Sorry 'bout that!

This is what I get for trying to paint a "quick" (not really) and "easy" (not at all!) repaint when I'm being hammered with demands on my time and attention.

.......... yeah..tell me about it......

it really sucks when other "life" stuff takes up your time and intrudes on your thinking!!!

I feel yer' pain Mick.....
    cheers... and ..relax............

.......... yeah..tell me about it......

it really sucks when other "life" stuff takes up your time and intrudes on your thinking!!!

I feel yer' pain Mick.....
    cheers... and ..relax............
    Yep, life is like that. Mine has been like that for the past week or so. I mean, it's always sort of like that, but more so than usual in the past week.

I thought that after I retired I'd have more hobby time, but nooooooo! I'm busier than ever. I know other retirees who say the same thing. In fact, I don't know any who say otherwise. Looking back, I can't imagine how I ever had time to work at a job. I've often thought that life would be easier if there were thirty hours in the day and ten days in the week.

Yep, life is like that. Mine has been like that for the past week or so. I mean, it's always sort of like that, but more so than usual in the past week.

I thought that after I retired I'd have more hobby time, but nooooooo! I'm busier than ever. I know other retirees who say the same thing. In fact, I don't know any who say otherwise. Looking back, I can't imagine how I ever had time to work at a job. I've often thought that life would be easier if there were thirty hours in the day and ten days in the week.
    I know exactly what you mean! Like you have pointed out, my old Captain used to tell me that once I retired, I would wonder where I actually found the time to work. and he wasn't wrong!!! LOL

Members who have read this thread: 0