E16A1_Paul

Thread: E16A1_Paul

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries

E16A1_Paul

I was restoring some of my campaigns, and I had to download the E16E1_Paul by Sean Anderson from Simavision. It is a seaplane/Recon plane. However, while it floats on the water, It will not move when I give it the gas. It just bounces on the waves. What do I need to do to get it to move and take off? Does anyone have a solution?

Braveheart (Mack)

Try hitting your G key.....Just an idea.
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Hiya Braveheart

Usually the reason for this is that the water where the AC is sitting has a water-class value of 1.

By default, water-class-1 underlies all CFS2 land. Many times, even in the stock install, some of this water-class-1 will extend out beyond the stock coastlines into what is supposed to be "real" water.

Except for its slight brighter blue hue, water-class-1 looks exactly like water except that it interacts with the environment exactly the same as dirt.

If you you shoot bullets into it, you get puffs of dirt- not splashes. If you start a float-plane from it, you get stuck in the "mud'.

Water-class-1 presents a slightly brighter blue appearance than normal water-class-7 value- the shallowest in-shore default water-class.

Many times when new GSL style scenery is installed, or large changes such as Rhumbas masks are installed, a lot of water-class-1 becomes exposed along the newly created coastlines.

Try slewing a short distance away from the shore and seeing if the problem sorts itself out.

If you view the area in top-down view you should be able to see where the water-class-1 leaves off and the water-class-7 begins.

Hope this helps,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Yes, the shoreline waters can be sticky for floaters. But the model is also a bit under-powered. Open the aircraft.cfg and edit the [propeller] lines like so:

[propeller]
    thrust_scalar =1.13500
    propeller_type =0
    propeller_diameter =9.50000
    propeller_blades =3

Use 20% to 30% flaps at takeoff to "unstick" your takeoff run sooner once you're up to speed.

This all should alleviate the need to slew to deeper waters for takeoffs.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

BTW, forgot to mention that this model is equipped with war emergency power, so use that also on your takeoff run.

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Bearcat, Adjusting the propeller and WEP did the trick.

Mack

Bearcat......

.........the use of War Emergency Power (WEP) was really aggravating to the a\c crew chiefs since as a rule it reduced engine time before overhauls and in some instances required engine replacement. It was considered, in Allied A\c, that 5 minutes was the max allowed. What I am leading to is that even though the plane shows WEP is it reflected in the game in later performance of that a\c that uses it? Since Japanese and Russian engine performance is not well documented is this the same for the Paul? Curious minds are interested.

The sim seems to have a default of about 5 minutes or 300 seconds. In the aircraft.cfg you can alter this by adding a line item in the [piston_engine] section like so: emergency_boost_duration=600.00000. For some fighter models i have applied 1200.00000 seconds just for kicks. It seems to be the limit the sim will respect, although i haven't taken the time to measure it perfectly by keeping it on until it runs out. But it does extend beyond the 5 minute default.

What I am leading to is that even though the plane shows WEP is it reflected in the game in later performance of that a\c that uses it?
    Yes it is. If you use any WEP for T/O it decreases your allotment for later use in the flight by the same amount of time that you used it for T/O.

Since Japanese and Russian engine performance is not well documented is this the same for the Paul?
    I'm not sure if the actual ever had WEP - didn't care enough to research it before posting. But i will say that, to the possible chagrin of the purists, one can always take liberties with the rules or historical accuracy with anything in this retail sim. Like the way we've always felt free to apply WEP mods for catapult operation to models which we've known didn't have it historically. So i'm personally OK with this model of the Paul having it, especially if it helps with overcoming water takeoff issues in the sim.
    Last edited by bearcat241; April 14th, 2019 at 15:34.

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart77521 View Post
    Thanks Bearcat, Adjusting the propeller and WEP did the trick.

Mack
    You're welcome Mack...

DJ

Members who have read this thread: 0