You think you've had a bad day......

Thread: You think you've had a bad day......

You think you've had a bad day......

At least you haven't shot yourself down.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...e-from-itself/

The incident reflects why guns on a high-performance jet are perhaps a less than ideal weapon. The Vulcan is capable of firing over 6,000 shots per minute, but its magazine carries only 511 rounds—just enough for five seconds of fury.
    What is the point of 'guns' on a jet fighter anyway? Particularly one with only 511 rounds!

This is by no means the first time this has happened to a jet pilot. I don't recall the dates or details, but an unwary pilot of an F6 many years ago ran into his own rounds. The not thinking straight pilot descended after firing his rounds and flew right into them. I guess he forgot that rounds just fired are going to lose altitude. Had he climbed quickly and/or turned right or left, he'd have missed them entirely.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    What is the point of 'guns' on a jet fighter anyway? Particularly one with only 511 rounds!

This is by no means the first time this has happened to a jet pilot. I don't recall the dates or details, but an unwary pilot of an F6 many years ago ran into his own rounds. The not thinking straight pilot descended after firing his rounds and flew right into them. I guess he forgot that rounds just fired are going to lose altitude. Had he climbed quickly and/or turned right or left, he'd have missed them entirely.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled out of a strafing run too late or delayed his pullup/turn required to avoid a ricochete (sp?) round. Happens every once in awhile, especially if he "bunted over" a little to hold his aim point on target on a shallow run.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled out of a strafing run too late or delayed his pullup/turn required to avoid a ricochete (sp?) round. Happens every once in awhile, especially if he "bunted over" a little to hold his aim point on target on a shallow run.
    According to sources at pprune it was a defective round, that got struck by next one coming along behind it.

Ttfn

Pete

Reminds me of the famous F-14 story of one being shot down by it's own AIM-7 Sparrow during testing, great read too!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Members who have read this thread: 0