34 inch monitor?

Thread: 34 inch monitor?

34 inch monitor?

I am considering a 34 inch monitor that has a 21 x 9 aspect ratio. Does P3Dv4 support this ratio, without a lot of cropping etc.?

Bill

Are you using the virtual cockpit or 2D cockpits? Silly question I imagine, but have to ask. The only place where resolution matters is with the 2D cockpits. And also whether your graphics card supports the resolution of the monitor, which is generally, again, a non-issue these days.

I'm running FSX spanned across 3 monitors using the nVidia Surround feature of my GTX 1050 and it's great. As far as FSX knows, they are just one big monitor. Gotta keep the zoom at or near one or it gets really stretched at the sides, but I love it. Works great with TrackIR.

What does get screwy are popup panels (shift-2, shift-3, etc.). They are really stretched at the higher resolution. If I cared, I'd have to go in and resize the panels. I don't, I'm an all VC flyer, and try to find aircraft that have their instrument panels fully populated.

P3D v4+ is much different than FSX. I run a Samsung 40", 16 x 9 picture, at 3840 x 2160, 60hz HDMI UHD primary monitor, and a smaller ASUS 24" HD monitor for peripherals, IOS, etc.
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

I run an Acer Predator X34P 34inch IPS LED Curved Gaming Monitor at 3440x1440x120Hz and have no distortion at all, then again I don't bother with 2D anything.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Considering this is a P3Dv4 thread and he's usually asking how to make a virtual cockpit look better I'd expect Bill's answer would be that he's using it for VC.

So true Frank - thanks.

The Alienware monitor I am considering also uses 3440x1440x120Hz, so I am satisfied that it will work.

Thanks to all,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by docjohnson View Post
    P3D v4+ is much different than FSX. I run a Samsung 40", 16 x 9 picture, at 3840 x 2160, 60hz HDMI UHD primary monitor, and a smaller ASUS 24" HD monitor for peripherals, IOS, etc.
    Me too. Works just dandy.. Except grandson broke the Samsung unit within a month of getting it... (dont ask.)

Bought a similar unit from Costco for 199.99. "element" brand. Cheap and cheerful, but its 40 inch 4k UHD and also running HDMI.

What do you see?

Wombat or Ejoiner:What do you see when in P3Dv4? Fill the monitor screen with out any "clipping"?Regards,Bill

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Considering this is a P3Dv4 thread and he's usually asking how to make a virtual cockpit look better I'd expect Bill's answer would be that he's using it for VC.
    I'm sorry, where in his post did he ask about how the VC looks? I don't see anywhere that he answered my questions. Am I not seeing posts in the thread?

We are long past the days of DOS and 2D. As long as @WingsofGold isn't worrying about the 2D panels, as far as any of these programs are concerned, whether it's FSX, P3D, or X-plane for that matter, they see the world as a 3D world surrounding the user. So the graphics card will display what it sees across the width and height of the screen wherever the user's "eyes" are looking, as long as the graphics card supports the resolution of the monitor. Check the specs of your graphics card if you're worried, but, I can't imagine that any monitor maker makes unsupported resolutions these days. And P3D's view is not like a fixed aperture movie. It adapts its view to whatever resolution its presented with. It relies on the graphics card to interpret what it sees to the monitor(s).

And, while it's very different, P3D is still FSX at its core.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    I'm sorry, where in his post did he ask about how the VC looks? I don't see anywhere that he answered my questions. Am I not seeing posts in the thread?
    I said he probably was and he concurred.

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    Wombat or Ejoiner:What do you see when in P3Dv4? Fill the monitor screen with out any "clipping"?Regards,Bill
    Full screen, no more, no less.
    I don't bother with VR so I can't comment on that one.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 0