Cannot Get CFS2 To Start
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Get CFS2 To Start

Cannot Get CFS2 To Start

Have just acquired an original copy of this simulator, 2 original disks, and a very extensive book. Being a retired Marine, WWII buff, and having family that served in the Pacific, I am very interested in learning to use this simulator. I am new to simulation but am fairly computer literate.

My computer should be easily capable of running this simulator:

Intel Xtreme I 7 Extreme, 6 dual 3.47 GHZ Processors 12 individual cores
    Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick

Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit, SP1
    12 GB Memory
    ATI FirePro V5800 V graphics card, Driver Date 1/18/2017, Version 15.201.2401.1009, Direct X 11, 1 GB VRAM, 400 MHZ Clock

2 solid state disks, 120GB, 240GB
    2 Dell 27" Monitors, Display-Port attached, resolution, 2560x1440, Dell-U2701

12 USB 2.0 ports

I have tried the following:

1. Installing under Windows 7
    2. Setting Compatibility Mode to XP SP2 including experimenting with the settings buttons
    3. Running as Administrator
    4. Disabling 1 of the 2 monitors

When I click on cfs2.exe the Windows "basketball" spins a bit but nothing happens. There is no evidence of CFS2 starting using Task Manager.

I see that there are a lot of users here and I am hoping that someone can help me sort this out.

Thank you in advance,

Otrman AKA Henry

SOH-CM-2023
    I do believe that you have to leave one of the disks in your CD Drive to run the game. I do not remember which one it was. Ergo, try one or the other.

And if the disc is the issue, then you can use the no CD crack for legal owners of the game. Improves cfs2 performance without the CD running as well.

Look on this page:
    https://simviation.com/1/browse-Misc-89-3

CFS2 Started But!

Quote Originally Posted by e.a.wicklund View Post
    And if the disc is the issue, then you can use the no CD crack for legal owners of the game. Improves cfs2 performance without the CD running as well.

Look on this page:
    https://simviation.com/1/browse-Misc-89-3
    Thank you for this

CFS2 now starts but only produces a small image on the desktop. Can I get it either to occupy a window that I can re-size or full screen?

Otrman

I didn't read in your above description where you did this: Go to Control Panel / User Accounts and change the User Account Control settings to Never Notify. I too have a I7 processor with a Windows 7 OS. Mine runs fine with the CFS2.cfg compatibility set to Windows XP SP 3, not 2 like you have. If all else fails, reinstall the sim and by the way; your system is more than sufficient to run this sim.

Oh, and it's CD 2.

Welcome to the CFS2 world, Orman!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Working and trying to take off Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    I didn't read in your above description where you did this: Go to Control Panel / User Accounts and change the User Account Control settings to Never Notify. I too have a I7 processor with a Windows 7 OS. Mine runs fine with the CFS2.cfg compatibility set to Windows XP SP 3, not 2 like you have. If all else fails, reinstall the sim and by the way; your system is more than sufficient to run this sim.

Oh, and it's CD 2.

Welcome to the CFS2 world, Orman!

OK, hitting alt-enter puts it into put the image into window mode, resized and working on getting off the ground. This is better than I expected as both screens are working.

Since I have never flown a sim am going to learn to fly.

Regards,

Otrman

Quote Originally Posted by Otrman View Post
    OK, hitting alt-enter puts it into put the image into window mode, resized and working on getting off the ground. This is better than I expected as both screens are working.

Regards,

Otrman
    Congrats. Have fun! Remember to use a slight amount rudder in turns. It helps a lot.

Regards,

Otrman
    You have certainly come to the right place for help and tips. Don't be timid about asking questions.

PS: Where in NJ are you?
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Using Logitech x56 rhino HOTAS with CFS2

You have certainly come to the right place for help and tips. Don't be timid about asking questions.

PS: Where in NJ are you?
    I live in Edison, NJ - about 20 miles north of Princeton.

Has anyone tried using the Logitech x56 Rhino HOTAS with CFS2?

Otrman

"Semper Fidelis"

I was raised in Springfield...

I use a Saitek X-52 with my desktop. and a Saitek 12-button, twin-throttle joystick with my laptop, which I may soon have to replace.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Regarding Programming

I was raised in Springfield...

I use a Saitek X-52 with my desktop. and a Saitek 12-button, twin-throttle joystick with my laptop, which I may soon have to replace.
    Did you use the Saitek manual procedure when you assigned keyboard keys to various game functions? My first attempt at flight simulation was using a copy of European Air War and the x56. EAW uses an INI file to control keyboard assignments. I could not work it out and the simulator was "awkward" to use. CFS2 is much better! In addition EAW did not even recognize the throttle. I bought the x56 to run X-Plane but my current hardware configuration does not provide an acceptable frame rate. I also find that the joystick on the x56 does not work will with my small hand.

1. Do you know of an add on for the trainer that novice Navy pilots used? Which is the "easiest" CFS2 provided plane to fly?
    2. Do you use a gaming keyboard and gaming mouse?
    3. What do you think of a scheme to use the Extreme 3D Pro in combination with the Throttle portion of the x56?

I grew up in Milford, CT right on the shore of LI Sound. Great Stripper fishing around the islands off of Norwalk.

Otrman

1. The simplest plane for me in cfs2 is the F6F-3 Hellcat. It is easy and very forgiving. Use it in the training missions if you like: Carrier landing, Dive bombing etc.

2. I use a standard keyboard and mouse. In cfs2 you can go to settings and set up the controller and keyboard settings for various functions.

3. There are additional HOTAS settings for throttles et al under controller settings for various functions.

Does your X56 have a "twist handle" for rudder or do you use rudder pedals? Be sure to turn off the auto-rudder function under Settings. Also the flight model should be set to medium for the most accurate flight model. MS once said that the "hard" setting is for tournament play (on-line) and additional challenge. Set your other features to uncheck unlimited ammo, check auto mixture control, sun glare and G-effects.

There are hundreds of add-on aircraft, ships and scenery for the game, but I suggest you get used to the sim in the stock or disc form first, then experiment with additional installs and optional add-ons. Tip: Get that no-cd utility, recommended by e.a.wicklund above.

Again, if you need any help with anything you wish to download and install, don't be afraid to ask for help. The folks here are always eager to give great advice.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

1. Do you know of an add on for the trainer that novice Navy pilots used? Which is the "easiest" CFS2 provided plane to fly?
    2. Do you use a gaming keyboard and gaming mouse?
    Otrman
    1. I think the A6M2 is the easiest to fly. It almost never stalls out. On the Allied side, the F4F or F6F are easiest.

2. I would not recommend using anything other than a joystick to fly. I know some can do it, but for me it is counterintuitive and takes away from the experience. You feel less like you're flying and more like you're playing a game.

Controller Options

1. The simplest plane for me in cfs2 is the F6F-3 Hellcat. It is easy and very forgiving. Use it in the training missions if you like: Carrier landing, Dive bombing etc.

2. I use a standard keyboard and mouse. In cfs2 you can go to settings and set up the controller and keyboard settings for various functions.

3. There are additional HOTAS settings for throttles et al under controller settings for various functions.

Does your X56 have a "twist handle" for rudder or do you use rudder pedals? Be sure to turn off the auto-rudder function under Settings. Also the flight model should be set to medium for the most accurate flight model. MS once said that the "hard" setting is for tournament play (on-line) and additional challenge. Set your other features to uncheck unlimited ammo, check auto mixture control, sun glare and G-effects.

There are hundreds of add-on aircraft, ships and scenery for the game, but I suggest you get used to the sim in the stock or disc form first, then experiment with additional installs and optional add-ons. Tip: Get that no-cd utility, recommended by e.a.wicklund above.

Again, if you need any help with anything you wish to download and install, don't be afraid to ask for help. The folks here are always eager to give great advice.
    --------------

Thanks for your reply.

I did the NO-CD utility. One of the best things it does is to allow me to run the sim in a window and allows me the use of my 2nd display if I need to by pausing the sim.

The joystick I am using has "twist" for the rudder and a throttle control and I set auto rudder off. When I learn to fly I am considering adding the Logitech rudder.

I am working a just attaining level flight, maintaining altitude, turns, and getting used to using the cockpit gauges and ending up losing control.

I don't like the throttle on Logitech Extreme 3D Pro so I will try adding the x56 throttle and using together with the 3D.

Otrman

Additional Question

I hooked up the x56 Throttle and the sim sees it. I wanted to use the sim settings to tell the sim to use the x56 throttle to execute the "-" and "+" keyboard commands to increase and decrease throttle using key assignment in the sim.

Can't figure out how to do it.

Otrman

"...I am working a just attaining level flight, maintaining altitude, turns, and getting used to using the cockpit gauges and ending up losing control..."

Again, use the CFS2 Training Missions on the opening menu. Dull but effective, but this will give you all those features with an instructor. Save the Carrier Landing mission for last and don't try to dive bomb that enemy carrier with a P-38, laden with 2000 lb bombs!

Go to Settings on the opening menu and next open Controller Assigments. At the top of the next window choose the Joystick Axes option/tab. There you can set up a slider or two as throttle(s).

Wolfi's SB2C Helldiver in action:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grab_E028a.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I hooked up the x56 Throttle and the sim sees it. I wanted to use the sim settings to tell the sim to use the x56 throttle to execute the "-" and "+" keyboard commands to increase and decrease throttle using key assignment in the sim.

Otrman
    If it's a throttle, you should use the axis on the x56. Don't try to assign it to keys. In settings, click on "Joystick axes" and assign your x56 throttle axis to "Throttle Axis" as in the pic below.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joystick.jpg  

Temporarily Switched From x56 to Extrreme 3D Pro

I was having extreme difficulty getting started with the x56 so I have put it aside for a while and am trying to learn to fly using a simple joystick so I picked up the Extreme 3D Pro.

I have attempted "Free Flight" first using the F4F. When I launch the plane immediately goes out of control. I attempt to correct, going to chase mode I can see that my actions do have some effect on the but I can never achieve control. I have a feeling that my problems lie in the settings of sensitivity and null zone.

There seem to be 2 ways of calibrating the joystick, Cfs2 setting and the Logitech software. Which has control of the joystick axis behavior Cfs2 or Logitech?

I have tried both. Which should I use? Can you suggest settings for me to try?

Basically I am just trying to learn to control the basics of flying.

Otrman

Hi Otrman,

I would think that you should not need even to have the Logitech software running.
    Win7 should have all the drivers you need.

Have you tried to reset the defaults in the games controller assignments screens?

Regards,
    B24Guy

I was having extreme difficulty getting started with the x56 so I have put it aside for a while and am trying to learn to fly using a simple joystick so I picked up the Extreme 3D Pro.

I have attempted "Free Flight" first using the F4F. When I launch the plane immediately goes out of control. I attempt to correct, going to chase mode I can see that my actions do have some effect on the but I can never achieve control. I have a feeling that my problems lie in the settings of sensitivity and null zone.
    Default CFS2 settings for the joystick are fine for the moment. It's very hard to take off because torque heaves the plane to one side and it's very hard to control. Try starting off in the air. In Free Flight, pick an airbase (any), and then click on the Exact Location button (this is right of the Airbase button). This will place you at the lat & long for that airfield. There's a spot where you can enter an altitude. Type in 3000. Run Free Flight

When you start off in the air, the planes are much easier to control.

Uninstalled the Logitech Software

I uninstalled the Logitech Software and reset the CFS2 Axis settings to default and I am able to achieve level flight and controlled climbing and decent. I can only speculate that there was conflict between the Logitech software and CFS2. Next is basic turns!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Is there anyone out there who is using the Logitech G910?

Otrman

There seem to be 2 ways of calibrating the joystick, Cfs2 setting and the Logitech software. Which has control of the joystick axis behavior Cfs2 or Logitech?

I have tried both. Which should I use? Can you suggest settings for me to try?

Basically I am just trying to learn to control the basics of flying.

Otrman

On the ground, gradually increase the throttle to 100% while simultaneously gently applying rudder, a little at a time, to counteract the torque effect as you start your roll. As your speed increases, push the stick slightly forward to raise your tail, then pull back easy on the stick to raise up off the ground. You are flying.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

On the ground, gradually increase the throttle to 100% while simultaneously gently applying rudder, a little at a time, to counteract the torque effect as you start your roll. As your speed increases, push the stick slightly forward to raise your tail, then pull back easy on the stick to raise up off the ground. You are flying.
    Also, with the default, disk installed ("stock") aircraft, don't use flaps unless you just want to slow down. For some reason MS did not model in lift for the flaps on the stock planes. Downloaded planes often have lift. Use the Training Missions/American/Take Off mission and get some helpful AI instruction. I recommend using the F6F-3 as, I believe, it is more forgiving than the Wildcat.

After you get to level flight, learn to trim. But that's a more advanced lesson.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Flying at Last

I found that by removing the Logitech software and only using CSF2 settings that I am able to sustain level flight. I was even able to take off and fly.

I don't like the twist on the joystick so I am about to install a Logitech rudder. How can I transfer the rudder function on the extreme 3d pro to the new rudder?

Also, are there any other aircraft available for flying with CSF2?

Thank you in advance,

Otrman

How can I transfer the rudder function on the extreme 3d pro to the new rudder?

Also, are there any other aircraft available for flying with CSF2?

Thank you in advance,

Otrman
    Just assigning the new rudder transfers control. And there are plenty more flyable default aircraft. Recommend you try the F4F and F4U. The A6M2 Zero is easy to fly and fight with.

For download there are hundreds of aircraft to fly at this site. Look at this URL: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...s.php?catid=14

Members who have read this thread: 0