To all lurkers, quiet members and warbirdlibrary downloaders

Thread: To all lurkers, quiet members and warbirdlibrary downloaders

To all lurkers, quiet members and warbirdlibrary downloaders

Dear all,

As already mentioned elsewhere, the flightsim community is shrinking and aging fast. Many of the members live a on a small allowance, and don't have that much to spend.
    On the other side costs are rising.

The Sim-Outhouse has always been free and donations voluntary and I don't think that will change in the near future. But In the past there were many strong shoulders which carried the Outhouse and the donation run was a matter of days. The number of shoulders have been decreasing for many years already and they are often not that strong any more. The donation drive has been running for over a month now and we still didn't reach our target.Therefore we are seeking more shoulders to enable us to carry the Outhouse into the future.

Therefore I kindly request you to check your wallet or debit/creditcard and see what you can donate to keep Sim-Outhouse available.

Thanks for your attention,
    Huub
    Last edited by stovall; April 6th, 2019 at 05:48.

It might be interesting for members/readers/downloaders of SimOuthouse, what the 10,000 US$ per year are needed for.
    Is this only to pay the server?
    A brief statement of the costs could cause a change of mind for one or the other.

Dieter
    Greetings
    Dieter
    Win10 Pro 64 bit - RAM 16GB -1 SSD 1TB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 HD 1TB/Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,2 GHz - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - MSFS

Quote Originally Posted by kdl View Post
    It might be interesting for members/readers/downloaders of SimOuthouse, what the 10,000 US$ per year are needed for.
    Is this only to pay the server?
    A brief statement of the costs could cause a change of mind for one or the other.

Dieter
    I agree.

Moreover, I donated anonymously. I'm not looking for my name to be displayed in a fancy colour with a title underneath or whatever. I value my privacy a lot more than status.

Oh and calling people "lurkers, quiet members and warbirdlibrary downloaders" is degrading, derogatory and condescending. Not a very nice thing to do. Just saying.

Priller

[QUOTE=Priller;1180334]I agree.

Oh and calling people "lurkers, quiet members and warbirdlibrary downloaders" is degrading, derogatory and condescending. Not a very nice thing to do. Just saying.

QUOTE]

This is a simple request for help. No one is degrading or being condescending in any way. The facts are we are trying to stay alive without charging anything for any of our services. Any and all contributions of any size are greatly appreciated by all SOH members.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

I am also an anonymous donor, not a lurker, not just a downloader.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thank you for the reminder that I'm getting old lol. Contribution made, I've been here for a long time and have fun memories. Definitely worth the contribution to have this site up and running. A lot of sim hangouts seem to be disappearing (hovercontrol and OzX comes to mind).

LouP

LouP, very much appreciated. I too have noticed the great sites drying up. We will prevail thanks to folks like you.

Thanks guys, all donations help. But its not the normal members I'm addressing. When you look at the statistics, you will see that there are many more people who never leave a message, but visit the forums quite often and do their occasional download once in a while.

I'm sure many of those are not fully aware that there are also bills to pay. But I'm also sure they will miss their occasional visit and download once the Sim-Outhouse is gone. Therefore I kindly requested those people; "..........to check your wallet or debit/creditcard and see what they can donate to keep Sim-Outhouse available".

For Dieter and Priller, when the donation drive started Dangerousdave gave an explanation, with several options. This has been a banner at the top of the forum for a month.
    In case you missed it, you can re-read it here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ement.php?f=44

So please read before you start commenting on something which wasn't exactly directed to you.......

Cheers,
    Huub

Just so every one has a basis for comparison membership at Flightsim.com is $30.00 a year. Here's what you get:

* Gives you faster, unlimited downloads from member servers...you already get that here.
    * Displays a “First Class Member” tag for others to see in the forums...does it matter that much?
    * Helps us offset the huge costs of running the site and paying for bandwidth...yeah, us too.
    * Supports the long hours and hard work the people do everyday to bring you this site...yep same goes for SOH.
    * We are totally committed to giving you the best possible resource so that you can enjoy your hobby...ditto.
    * You can find fresh carefully organized files, latest news, reviews, features, forums and more...at SOH all you have to do is ask. You'll get all the input you want.

Here at SOH you get the same things and all they're asking for is support from the community to help keep the site up and running. Not too much to ask.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    I agree.

Moreover, I donated anonymously. I'm not looking for my name to be displayed in a fancy colour with a title underneath or whatever. I value my privacy a lot more than status.

Priller
    Same here.

Shhhhhhhhh!!

Donated, but less than I used to. Social Security just doesn't stretch like a paycheck, when you could do a little overtime to help.
    Sue

The 'lurkers and downloaders' who aren't contributing at the site I [help] Admin [Wincustomize.com] has 6 million registered users who largely 'lurk and download' and $10 thou would last about 12 days server-wise [10 year old stats....may be better [or worse] now]....
    Give us a couple of weeks and I'll see if I can put in a little more. I'm "all-for" user-pays and I get more out of SOH than I ever put in...

I just had to donate again to help inch the line closer to the finish.
    To the lurkers and those in the background, If we don't get the funds, SOH as we know it will disappear forever along with a huge base of downloads and knowledge, and of course the people there too. And I am so thankful that we have SOH to read everyday and for the people that run and maintain it. I do get a lot, in fact I get so much out of SOH.
    Mark

SOH-CM-2021
    I think it's great value for the money, that's why I always contribute. Grab a couple of coffees, and they're gone in a few minutes. The same money lasts for a whole year at SOH.

Den.

I just donated a second time to help reach the $10K goal. Well worth it to me.
    Mike M.​

Happy to help again, i'd hate to see anything happen. This place feels like home.

I guess I fall under the “Lurker” banner!
    I make an occasional post and a download here and there.
    Not offended by this post at all.
    I also donated for the first time.

Keep up the good work gents, would hate to see this site go the way of the Dodos!
    I7-6700K @ 4.3, ASUS Z170-P, 32GB DDR4 2133, RTX 2070 8GB, Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv5.3 HF2

.and we're there!

Can't remember if I hit anon with my donation or not!! LOL..

And as someone who both downloads some extremely incredible stuff graciously uploaded without ANY expectation of reward by the developer or artist.. (save for appreciation).. I also upload some of my work.. and help out with testing etc. when asked, as one does when a member of a 'community' :-)

But as has been pointed out, sites are going away.. Hovercontrol is no longer with us, and there was quite a lot of great content there that sadly, can be found no where else.

This site has a great group of people, and an insane amount of fantastic freeware to enhance our FS experience, and I for one do not wish to see it too 'go away'.

As it was, I had to wait till the beginning of the month to donate.. as last month presented me with thousands of dollars in unexpected expenses..(bang your head repeatedly against the wall expenses.. just.. sigh....) life.. it's like that LOL

But always happy to contribute a little towards upkeep, ..and I see we are past the goal now.. :-)

Well done...

Cheers, and hoping all of us are still around when next years donation drive comes around. And if I suddenly stop posting, downloading, and uploading.. well.. sadly.. I'm dead....

Dave

Well there yer go!

See it was worth the 'hint' posts! and THANKS FOR THE DONATIONS PRILLER AND SS101!...ooops sorry...shhhhhh!

Troups well rallied Huub...

Hurrah!

Shessi

CONGRATS SOH!!! You made it!

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Thanks to all who helped keep Sim-Outhouse up and running.

Members who have read this thread: 0