Help in deciding which version

Thread: Help in deciding which version

Icon5 Help in deciding which version for 501c3

Question: Academic or Professional license for a 501c3 Institution STEM program?

There are tons of sources out there to answer this question, but I wanted to hear from some users, and I really like this community...

I've been a flight simulation and MSFS user since the '80's, using it intensely for a few years, then being away for a while then coming back in on and off since then.
    I'm currently using FSX/Acc and FSX:SE and am happy enough with those that I'm only feeling the "wonder" bug for myself. But clearly, P3D and X-Plane are the future.

The main reason I'm asking, though, is that I'm currently looking to create some STEM programs for use with school groups at a non-profit museum I volunteer at, and would like to build up a couple of flight simulators for them to use (for a long time I ran a (very) small business using flight simulation in schools for educational enrichment and in community education programs to introduce children and adults to flying). The museum is the Collings Foundation American Heritage Museum in Hudson, MA.

I'm extremely comfortable with FSX and do some development of scenery and aircraft skins, and have even delved into modeling (I'm a mechanical engineer who's used 3D modeling tools since the late '80's).

So for them I need to choose a simulator that will be around for awhile and know I need to move forward from FSX.

So I'm thinking P3Dv4 is most likely what I'd suggest to start with for the museum since that's what I have the most experience with, but I'm going to try out X-Plane11 too.

My Question is... Legally, this is an educational endeavor, so I could choose the Academic license. But I'm wondering if I should just go with full up Professional P3D licenses? It sounds like the only difference is a watermark on the screen. But I don't know how intrusive that watermark is, and am thinking it may not be worth the trouble to save the cost of a couple of hundred dollars.

I'm wondering what y'all think academic vs professional in this situation. Money is always an issue, but in the end, I'm sure I can find the money for either. But if I go Academic, that's money that could be used for addons.

And what do you think about X-Plane? I have zero experience with it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this far,

Tom
    Last edited by FlyingsCool; April 5th, 2019 at 11:18.

The watermark is not at all intrusive. Really though, this licensing discussion is not allowed.
    X Plane 11 is good, try the free demo.

Legally since you charge users per session you will have to go professional as you wont be considered a student but rather an organization, you website makes it clear your not a student using it at home to enchance your skill sets

That also will incur addtional fees as devs like orbx have extra costs for non home users which are several hundred for company licences

All it will take is some to report you or the organistaion to LM who will cancel the license and may take legal for breaching the elua

A costly venutre if you decide to run the gaunlet

There are no plans to charge users. This is a 501c3 application (non-profit educational institution) where we are providing a service to schools through educational enrichment programs for students.

Basically, schools would bus students to the museum, and they would tour the museum and we'll offer a variety of educational programs depending on the needs of the schools (MA and National Curriculum Frameworks basis). The flight simulators would be a small part of the programs we'll offer.

Back in the day when I was doing my own thing, I was in contact with the folks at Microsoft and they fully supported my efforts and even linked to my stuff. This particular program that I'm asking this question for is something else entirely. I'm volunteering my time to the museum to help them start up their programs. They'll be covering the costs, through donations mostly. I'm working with STEM education developers like the WPI STEM Education Center and teachers from the local area to determine what schools can use.

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    The watermark is not at all intrusive. Really though, this licensing discussion is not allowed.
    X Plane 11 is good, try the free demo.
    I'm confused why this discussion isn't allowed? My use case seems perfectly in line with Prepar3D's guidelines.
    I just purchased X-Plane for myself and for testing for this application the other day.

I'm leaning towards Prepar3D mainly because I'm so familiar with the FSX SDK and a lot of what I've put together will translate over easily. I haven't researched it, but it seems like there are ways of taking FSX models and translating them for X-Plane, though. Not to mention there is a huge push for X-Plane these days from the addon developers and freeware offers it looks like.

I think your best bet, in terms of which license you would need, would be to post this at the P3D forums and explain what you want to do. They'll be able to tell you exactly which license you need.

Also, as noted up thread, many people like the new version of XP and Orbx and many other developers are now making add on scenery for it as well. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    There are no plans to charge users. This is a 501c3 application (non-profit educational institution) where we are providing a service to schools through educational enrichment programs for students.

Basically, schools would bus students to the museum, and they would tour the museum and we'll offer a variety of educational programs depending on the needs of the schools (MA and National Curriculum Frameworks basis). The flight simulators would be a small part of the programs we'll offer.
    whether you charge or not, you have said it yourself "educational institution" not home student, as sundog said, you need to liaise with LM directly and seek their official stance, as the licensing for P3D is dramaticly different than MSFS

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    whether you charge or not, you have said it yourself "educational institution" not home student, as sundog said, you need to liaise with LM directly and seek their official stance, as the licensing for P3D is dramaticly different than MSFS
    Hmm, perhaps I haven't explained myself correctly. I'm not asking which license I can purchase. You are correct, that would be a question for LM. I wouldn't ask that question here.

My question is, in the opinion of users, is the look of the Academic enough of a pain to make it worth it to purchase the Professional version? Or is the watermark unobtrusive enough that you don't notice it? I'm planning on setting up each system with 3 monitors using nVidia Surround. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the two versions is the watermark on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    Hmm, perhaps I haven't explained myself correctly. I'm not asking which license I can purchase. You are correct, that would be a question for LM. I wouldn't ask that question here.

My question is, in the opinion of users, is the look of the Academic enough of a pain to make it worth it to purchase the Professional version? Or is the watermark unobtrusive enough that you don't notice it? I'm planning on setting up each system with 3 monitors using nVidia Surround. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the two versions is the watermark on the screen.
    The main difference in brief terms between Academic and Professional is simple.
    Academic is intended for 'student' use, Professional has 'in depth' features aimed at developers (as I understand it), which is explained clearly on the LM site.

The Academic watermark is almost invisible, as you can see in this 50% rendition.
    I doubt you'd need Pro for your plan, and as for multiple screens (I use a larger curved 4K panel) triple panel users seem to be around in numbers.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    The main difference in brief terms between Academic and Professional is simple.
    Academic is intended for 'student' use, Professional has 'in depth' features aimed at developers (as I understand it), which is explained clearly on the LM site.

The Academic watermark is almost invisible, as you can see in this 50% rendition.
    I doubt you'd need Pro for your plan, and as for multiple screens (I use a larger curved 4K panel) triple panel users seem to be around in numbers.

Great, thanks! I wasn't sure if there were any other issues I should worry about.

This will mostly about kids learning what it's like to fly and the various systems, about lift and drag, flight planning, weather, etc.. In my experience, kids love it. I've had kids come up to me as seniors, with no contact in between, letting me know what a great experience they had from when I brought it into their classes in first and second grade Doing stuff for our kids like this I think is so important.

Members who have read this thread: 0