Global Surface Water

Thread: Global Surface Water

Hybrid View

Global Surface Water

The Global Surface water files are ready for download at my URL.

(Maybe Rami can help get them into the Library. The files are very big.)

GlobalSurfaceWater_West.zip

GlobalSurfaceWater_East.zip

The Global Surface Water collection of land-water masks for CFS2 are a set of LWM BGLs that cover the earth with new land and water.

The collection is derived from Europen Commission's Joint Research Centre Global surface Water project's Transition rasters.
    https://global-surface-water.appspot.com/download

The cleaning the ocean areas are derived from OSM ocean data.
    http://openstreetmapdata.com/

Issues:

The default beaches will need to be removed or excluded to hide them from view.
    Some land areas will need landclass adjustments to insure their display.
    These BGLs will completely cover any land or water beneath them in the Scenery Library order.

Some Missions and GSL object placements may be affected.

Recommendations:

The downloads are in 2 parts, _West and _East due to upload restrictions of Sim OutHouse.

I place all the GSWCFS2*.bgls in a single directory named "Global Surface Water", inside a nested "scenery" folder.

I place "Global Surface Water" above the FS2000_prop entry in the Scenery Library...
    that would be after FS2000_prop in the Scenery.CFG file

If older land water sets are after FS2000_prop in the Scenery.CFG file, they will have priority, and by simply deactivating the
    "Global Surface Water" Scenery Library entry, you'll restore older missions and GSL to their older usage. Some GSL and Missions
    will not be affected as placement problems will only be near shorelines.

"rhumbaflappy"
    Richard Ludowise
    April 3, 2019

Thank you very much sir! I'll download and give it a try as soon as I get home.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Library Staff
    Thanks very much Dick. I went for a fly around Sydney and the shorelines are extremely accurate. Well done!

Kevin

Thank you for all your efforts sir, very appreciated.

msfossey

Many thanks to Jim Keir and his Slartibartfast and his LWMViewer1.3!

The files correspond to the FS9+ file naming convention. So you should be able to track down specific files. Some creative simmers might use LWMViewer1.3 to make a bitmap of the LOD5 area, and use it in Ground2Kv4 to create shorelines and roads.

It will be a while, but I might be able to come up with some auto-generated shorelines (beaches). They'd also follow the general naming convention.

Another future project is to come up with a set of landclass files using the same naming convention, but grouped in separate Region folders. That should allow each region to have it's own texture set. The regions are labeled A-Z. Each region could be turned on or off with the Scenery Library if needed. Then Tropical Australia would not need the same textures as the rest of Australia, for example.

Rhumba -MR: This is what I get with MR's MN Peleliu in Mission Builder and Free Flight at about 5000 feet. Your coastlines look great but MR's base was built, I believe, for stock coastlines. I'm gonna use it though. MR's recently released MN GI Tarawa-Betio looks as it should.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grab_Pel023a.jpg   grab_Pel028a.jpg   grab_Pel036a.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by rhumbaflappy View Post
    Many thanks to Jim Keir and his Slartibartfast and his LWMViewer1.3!

Another future project is to come up with a set of landclass files using the same naming convention, but grouped in separate Region folders. That should allow each region to have it's own texture set. The regions are labeled A-Z. Each region could be turned on or off with the Scenery Library if needed. Then Tropical Australia would not need the same textures as the rest of Australia, for example.
    I have a question on that idea?

Given the range of some aircraft, or on actual missions flown, would switching areas in the Scenery Library possibly be too blunt an instrument? Or would it work to activate the multiple regions the aircraft would fly across?

As an example, the ferry flights made from Melbourne to Darwin and then on to Papua New Guinea, or the missions flown from Tunisia to attack Sardinia, Sicily and Italy would cross several different terrain regions. Both exist in campaigns.

My thanks also for your work on this. As you know the shorelines have always been a source of confusion and problems especially in the Pacific and Balkans areas. So Oh Man! If you are able to do the auto shorelines we'll want to build a virtual CFS2 shrine to you
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Icon22 Reply...

Good morning,

Rhumbaflappy, I will work on getting them into the library this weekend. Thanks for all of your work!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Good morning,

Rhumbaflappy, I will work on getting them into the library this weekend. Thanks for all of your work!
    A big Thank You in return Rami!

WOW!
    Thanks Richard.

Always a pleasure to download and install your work. FANTASTIC....

Lee
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Great stuff Ricardo!

Very nice to have accurate water, so thanks for all the effort, and thank your pc as well...

Oh btw does it take into account global warming.....

Cheers

Shessi

Impressive! Looking forward to it.

Regards,
    B24Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Great stuff Ricardo!

Very nice to have accurate water, so thanks for all the effort, and thank your pc as well...

Oh btw does it take into account global warming.....

Cheers

Shessi
    Possibly!

The data is compiled by comparing 32 years of satellite data:

https://global-surface-water.appspot.com/download

I used "transitions" data and added the OSM Oceans data to it, to help with ocean abnormalities caused by clouds, ice and waves.

Can anyone tell when this would be available with a readme to install and use for simple minds like mine? ( VTP's;Regional scenery folder, etc. )

in Addon Scenery, I make a folder named 'GlobalSurfacewater'. Inside GlobalSurfaceWater, I make a folder named 'scenery'. I place all the GSW water lwm files, and all the excludes, and all the GSW shoreline vtp files into scenery.
    I add it to the Scenery Library in CFS2, and activate it.
    Done.

The shorelines should be available in about a week (I hope).

Members who have read this thread: 4