Guess the airbase - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guess the airbase

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Thanks Dutch!

The full experience was the reason for making this base. Like starting in the hangar for a night sortie:

Don't know if any of you have noticed the spilled fuel.

Beautiful, Dimus and Butch.

Just some info, the fuel spots on the ground weren't spilled, rather it was leaked. The airframe of the SR-71, as well as the fuel tanks, were designed to expand when at speed, from air friction, thus sealing the tanks. The fuel was designed for the heat, and would not catch fire at normal air temps. I was based at Kadena AFB on Okinawa in 1970-71. We had at least 5 SR-71's based there, and really enjoyed watching them. There is nothing that compares to the sound of those engines in full AB!!!
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Thanks Don! You're absolutely right about the Blackbird fuel. It was actually a special product, JP-7. I used the wrong word there, indeed it was leaked and not spilled.

While the airframe was designed to expand, the sealant used on the fuel tanks was never satisfactory and work continued for a long time to produce a sealant that worked at all temps. Leaks were checked on a drips per minute basis - clearly if it leaked profusely in some areas then it would be investigated and made better.

Its a common misconception that the SR took off with a less than maximum fuel load because of the leaks. It actually took off with less to provide both better single engine performance if an engine failed, better aborted takeoff braking capability and to cause less wear and tear on the main gear tyres.

Dimus, will the mirrors be working on the finished product?

Looking at weights, a SR-71s empty and loaded weights are comparable to a 737, with much smaller tyres, and a takeoff/landing speed well in excess of a fully loaded 737 (170kts +). The stresses on those tyres at MTOW would have been insane.
    -JB

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    Dimus, will the mirrors be working on the finished product?
    Dutch will have to answer that, although it may be too early as I understand that focus is now on completing the systems coding.

P3D goodies: Dynamic Lights and PBR:

Blackbird Hangars get the PBR treatment:

All still WIP of course. PBR is very new for me but I'm slowly getting there.

Dimus, that looks absolutely AMAZING!!! NC

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Blackbird Hangars get the PBR treatment:

All still WIP of course. PBR is very new for me but I'm slowly getting there.

Thanks all for the kind words!

I am getting to like more and more PBR. Especially PBRed glass like here in the modern tower:

I realized that I have to increase the saturation of the diffuse/albedo. PBR washes out colors.

Working on ground equipment. Here's a Dash 86 GPU:

Crg Dimus!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Brilliant work Dimus! That tower especially looks amazing with PBR glass.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Oskosh 40K Loader:

With the consent of MAIW and the model creators I have created a custom AI package for the scenery that will be provided as freeware through MAIW. It will include both retro and modern versions of traffic at Beale:

Is this available somewhere or still a WIP? Looks outstanding!
    I7-6700K @ 4.3, ASUS Z170-P, 32GB DDR4 2133, RTX 2070 8GB, Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv5.3 HF2

When completed it will be distributed by Milviz. Nearing completion but can't give a firm date.

Ok, thanks. Looking forward to this one!
    I7-6700K @ 4.3, ASUS Z170-P, 32GB DDR4 2133, RTX 2070 8GB, Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv5.3 HF2

Great looking air base scenery!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Fantastic work!! Congratulations!!!
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Not too long now:

New custom taxiway signs and 3d grass:

Members who have read this thread: 0