Blending Airfield Scenery

Thread: Blending Airfield Scenery

Blending Airfield Scenery

Hi all,

I have just installed XavierB's outstanding eawwii asia 2006 package.

It uses Rhumba's Mesh and CFS2_Tropical_UT textures by UncleTgt.

The screenshot shows Victoria Pt airfield in lower Burma.

As you can see the airfield is a 'green square' as are many of the airfields in this package.

Can the green square be blended into the 'scenery' like Maskrider's airfield?

(Assuming it can be blended) How do you blend it?

In the screenshot the Victoria Pt airfield square extends over the water.

Can this be changed and again, assuming it can, how can it be done.

Cheers,

Stuart
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CFS2 Airfield Victoria Pt.jpg  

Looks like textures are missing...
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Perhaps a case of textures in scenedb/world/texture not matching the textures in the main install textures folder.

Quote Originally Posted by e.a.wicklund View Post
    Perhaps a case of textures in scenedb/world/texture not matching the textures in the main install textures folder.
    Agreed, Did you copy them over?
    "De Oppresso Liber"

yep, it is a textures problem....happened to me many times in various sceneries.
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

It gets more interesting.

I did copy the textures as usual.

Here is a picture of Ratamala - Ceylon

Same install.

All three Ceylonese airfields are 'blended'.

No others.

Cheers,

Stuart
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CFS2 Airfield Ceylon Ratamala.jpg  

Stuart,

It wouldn't be a world/textures or CFS2/TEXTURES problem. Blended airfields have an individual bitmap located in the texture folder where the individual airfield is located. For example CFS2/SCENEDB/JHS_Italy/texture. The JHS_Italy folder will have a scenery folder which has the airfield bgl files and a texture folder which has the corresponding airfield texture bitmaps.

The reason you have a green or black square around an airfield is the airfield's corresponding texture bitmap is not in the airfield texture folder (or rarely, it might be corrupted). In the case if the Victoria Pt. airfield, the airfield bgl calls for the "back_0020.bmp" texture bitmap to be loaded. Is this bitmap in the your location for the eawii_scenery/texture folder? That bitmap is what provides the airfield ground texture and blending into the surrounding area.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    Stuart,

It wouldn't be a world/textures or CFS2/TEXTURES problem. Blended airfields have an individual bitmap located in the texture folder where the individual airfield is located. For example CFS2/SCENEDB/JHS_Italy/texture. The JHS_Italy folder will have a scenery folder which has the airfield bgl files and a texture folder which has the corresponding airfield texture bitmaps.

The reason you have a green or black square around an airfield is the airfield's corresponding texture bitmap is not in the airfield texture folder (or rarely, it might be corrupted). In the case if the Victoria Pt. airfield, the airfield bgl calls for the "back_0020.bmp" texture bitmap to be loaded. Is this bitmap in the your location for the eawii_scenery/texture folder? That bitmap is what provides the airfield ground texture and blending into the surrounding area.

Hi Captain,

Thanks for the reply.

I have "back_0020.bmp"in the eawii_scenery/texture folder.

I did do a fresh down load of Xavier's scenery and copied the texture across to test for corruption.

No Joy.

Cheers,

Stuart

P.S. How did you open the .bgl file to see what it called for?

Hi Stuart

Also try replacing the Victoria bgl files to make sure there is no corrupted file there.

I use a little tool called BGLAnalyze.

Attachment 68251
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Hi Captain

Thanks for the BGL analyser.

I will post a few interesting pics of this tomorrow after golf.

A sort of chronological order of the airfields on Singapore.

Cheers,

Stuart

Question Reply...

Stuart277,

I am really curious on this one, because I have rarely had a problem with any of Xaver'bs airfields. Very interesting...
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Hi All
    As Inspector Clouseau said 'the problem is sol ved'.
    Well maybe!
    Here is a picture of the Singapore bases with my original eawwii_scenery installed.

Note the two airfields at Kallang as well as the mix of green squares and blended airfields.

The two airbases gave the first clue.

Looking at the eawwii_scenery I noticed:

xbp_asia_malaya_v1_kallang.bgl

and

xbp_asia_malaya_v2_kallang.bgl

Deleting V1 removed the 'Green' Kallang.

Clue #2

Many thanks to Captain Kurt for this.
    He thought the files may be corrupted or that the textures were missing.
    He also gave me a BGL decomplier to look for missing textures.

Anyway,using this tool I found the other airfields with 'green squares' were looking for some unknown textures 'poly0018', 'poly0021'.

Solution
    I was using a very old version of eawwii_scenery_2006 that I downloaded from another website many years ago.
    After downloading the version here at SOH all was good again.

Again, thanks to all.

Cheers
    Stuart

PS I have found that turning off Rhumba's water masks works well at Victoria Point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CFS2 Singapore 02 Stock Install + eawwiii_scenery activated.jpg   CFS2 Singapore Stock Install 07 +  eawwiii_scenery from SOH.jpg  

Very late to this thread, but I tried making blended backdrops to Xaviers airbases some time ago & abandoned the project.

He uses shared background bitmaps for multiple airfields in this set, & each airbase has a different runway, hangar etc. layout. This means a blended background bitmap for 1 location won't match the other airbase layouts that also use this same background bitmap.

Better to make replacement airbases in the Maskrider style, each with their own dedicated background bitmap I'm afraid.

Members who have read this thread: 0