AI Carriers - no longer recognizing changes

Thread: AI Carriers - no longer recognizing changes

AI Carriers - no longer recognizing changes

Went to add Gaz's Lex to my longish list of AI Carriers 2 formations and have discovered any change made to the aircarriers.cfg no longer is effective or working. Tried moving some other boats to different formation and the old ship(s) appear as if I had not saved the text file - though I did. Otherwise, AI carriers has working normally for me in P3Dv4 - until just now. Any thoughts?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Went to add Gaz's Lex to my longish list of AI Carriers 2 formations and have discovered any change made to the aircarriers.cfg no longer is effective or working. Tried moving some other boats to different formation and the old ship(s) appear as if I had not saved the text file - though I did. Otherwise, AI carriers has working normally for me in P3Dv4 - until just now. Any thoughts?
    Are you using Win10? If so, is AICarriers in the dreaded C:\Program Files or C:|Program Files(X86)? If so, did you try moving aicarriers.cfg to your desktop, editing it, saving it, then copying it back into the AICarriers folder?
    Are you using the older, Java based AICarriers, or the newer AICarriers.NET? Some cases I've seen where the older version won't work properly with P3D. Also, some cases where AICarriers won't work right unless it's placed under the main P3D root folder.
    Did you try making a fresh install of AICarriers someplace, and "stealing" it's virgin aicarriers.cfg (because you didn't save before editing[shame shame! ]), then, instead of adding new formations to the aicarriers.cfg file, make a unique .cfg file for the new formation. ANY new formation(s) you want to add, and put it into the conf.d folder. That should be the only place new formations, in new .cfg files, should go. It's what it's there for, after all. Keep the addon formations you aren't using at any given time in a folder UNDER the conf.d folder. Only place a copy in the conf.d folder when you want to use them. Leave the aicarriers.cfg file alone.
    This will also prevent an exeedingly long, unwieldy, menu in the sim when you hit SHFT+J. Why search through menu page after menu page if you don't have to?
    I'm not certain, but I believe there's a maximum number of formations AICarriers will recognize. It's a pretty large number, granted, but if you go over the max it just ignores them.
    It sounds more to me like Windoze isn't permitting the changes you want to make though. It occurs to me, as well, that you may have more than one installation of AICarriers, and perhaps you aren't editing to .cfg file that is being used for P3D? Did you double check the EXE.XML file for the AICarriers installation you're actually using, and ensure that it's the one you're actually editing? Or, if you start it manually, did you check the shortcut was pointing to the folder you were editing from?

Just trying to think of as many possibilities as I can, for ya...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    Are you using Win10? If so, is AICarriers in the dreaded C:\Program Files or C:|Program Files(X86)? If so, did you try moving aicarriers.cfg to your desktop, editing it, saving it, then copying it back into the AICarriers folder?
    Are you using the older, Java based AICarriers, or the newer AICarriers.NET? Some cases I've seen where the older version won't work properly with P3D. Also, some cases where AICarriers won't work right unless it's placed under the main P3D root folder.
    Did you try making a fresh install of AICarriers someplace, and "stealing" it's virgin aicarriers.cfg (because you didn't save before editing[shame shame! ]), then, instead of adding new formations to the aicarriers.cfg file, make a unique .cfg file for the new formation. ANY new formation(s) you want to add, and put it into the conf.d folder. That should be the only place new formations, in new .cfg files, should go. It's what it's there for, after all. Keep the addon formations you aren't using at any given time in a folder UNDER the conf.d folder. Only place a copy in the conf.d folder when you want to use them. Leave the aicarriers.cfg file alone.
    This will also prevent an exeedingly long, unwieldy, menu in the sim when you hit SHFT+J. Why search through menu page after menu page if you don't have to?
    I'm not certain, but I believe there's a maximum number of formations AICarriers will recognize. It's a pretty large number, granted, but if you go over the max it just ignores them.
    It sounds more to me like Windoze isn't permitting the changes you want to make though. It occurs to me, as well, that you may have more than one installation of AICarriers, and perhaps you aren't editing to .cfg file that is being used for P3D? Did you double check the EXE.XML file for the AICarriers installation you're actually using, and ensure that it's the one you're actually editing? Or, if you start it manually, did you check the shortcut was pointing to the folder you were editing from?

Just trying to think of as many possibilities as I can, for ya...
    Pat☺
    Glad to see ya back on, Pat! Missed ya

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	68222 Sorry! Couldn't resist!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Thanks for your thoughtful response!

Using Windows 7 and the older Java AICarriers2 installed outside the D:drive P3Dv4 is on, on the C > Program x86 folder. Has worked fine until now. Have not changed anything since I last used it or modified the aicarriers.cfg.

Am happy to have just 2 -3 pages of Shift J carriers listed, so it's much easier in my case to just use and change the entries in the aicrarriers.cfg with fewer than 20 formations.

I did uninstall, after backing up separately the install and cfg info. Then in a fresh folder clicked a copy of the exe to restart (did not download a fresh isntall). Now, I have got it to work, sort of, but there's a few new hoops to go through. First, I launch P3D and leave it in the main menu, then in the system tray I have to close the little aicarriers icon. Then I relaunch AICarriers (right click as admin) using a new shortcut I made on my desktop from the main aircarriers.exe in the C drive. A little box opens saying AIC is connected to P3Dv4. That's something new. If I close the box AIC no longer works. But if I leave it in the system tray, all works fine and I can then see amendments made to the aircarriers.cfg. I suspect all of this is a result of an overnight Java update at some point.

It does seem like there is more than one program running but I only have one install in P3D. I also have another install on the same rig for FSX (dormant) but that's a separate install. Might try further disabling that FSX one OR getting rid of the Java version and installing the .NET one, but need to find out where to install that.

Thanks again for your help Pat!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Hi Sorry I don't answer much. Typing is still difficult and painful for me. Broken wrist, still in a cast.
    Do you have the .NET version yet? Do a google for Orion Lau, to find where to DL it from. He's the author. Great guy, too. SMART!
    As I say, try installing it under the P3D root folder. Then use that install in the EXE.xml file to startot
    Also, go in and set the main AIC executable to always start as Admin. Important step, this.

Let us know how it goes!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

You can download aicarriers.net here.

Dave

Got it. Thanks Dave!

Members who have read this thread: 0