HELP: A-26B Invader_SOH makes the sim crash

Thread: HELP: A-26B Invader_SOH makes the sim crash

Hybrid View

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22 HELP: A-26B_Invader_SOH makes the sim crash

Hiya Guys,

Was ist los?

I downloaded the A-26B_Invader_SOH.zip from here at SOH.

When I choose it in FF all of the load outs are there in the preview window and everything seems fine.

However, when I click "Fly Now" I get the following error message and the sim crashes.

I am loading it straight from the extracted download. No changes or tweaks.

It isn't an issue with having too many planes, I am way under the limit and I am also nicely below the limit on object_dp's.

I also tried deleting all index and filelist.dat files

I can choose all other planes and go flying in FF no problem.

It seems something specifically about this plane that my sim doesn't like.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    MR

Oh, and PS: I noticed this when looking at the aircraft.cfg file:

[fltsim.0]
    title=Douglas A-26B Invader (FS9) 3rd Bomb Group, Phillipines 1945
    Don't know if the bit about (FS9) is relevant or not. Just grasping at straws.

MR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a-26-invader-error-00.jpg  
    Last edited by MaskRider; March 25th, 2019 at 02:10.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Here is another hint.

When I start the sim in FF, with another AC loaded, and go to spot plane view, I can switch over to the A-26 and fly it no problem.

However, as soon as I switch from spot-plane view to cockpit view the sim crashes, no matter whether I am sitting on the ground engines off or in the air engines running.

Also, so long as I am in HUD or Maximize everything is jake. But when I switch to Panel, crash.

A panel issue of some sort?

MR
    Last edited by MaskRider; March 25th, 2019 at 03:47.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Going to guess a pre Win7+ plane that only uses a 1024x768 panel. If yes open the panel.cfg and remove render_3d_window=1 or set to render_3d_window=0
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Icon22

Thanks Allen,

I opened the panel.cfg file and there is no line containing the word "render" or "3D".
    Are you suggesting that I should add such a line and if so where does it go?

BTW, two more points of interest:

1. the A-26 also runs fine in VC view.
    2. my gauges folder already contained all 87 gauged contained in the a-26 zip so I didn't over-write any of them.

Its something about the 2D "Panel" view that is making it go haywire.

MR

PS: just for the heck of it, I over-writ the gauges.

Still no joy.
    Last edited by MaskRider; March 25th, 2019 at 03:48.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

MR: It sounds like you may have a corrupted panel.cfg. Try downloading the plane again and replacing the old panel.cfg with the new one.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    MR: It sounds like you may have a corrupted panel.cfg. Try downloading the plane again and replacing the old panel.cfg with the new one.
    Been there. Done that.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Is this the same plane this thread is talking about ??
    I may have to post an update for win 7 users ?
    I also still hang onto and even replace my Win XP computers.

A-26 Counter Invader

by Milton Shupe and Crew, converted by Bearcat241 and SOH crew

Includes 2d and VC panel by Bearcat241
    a great Dp with multi loadouts
    Includes two paint versions
    Brief Viet history text file, great sound file

Download ****

http://thefreeflightsite.com/Aircraft_CFS2_8.htm
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by No Dice View Post
    Is this the same plane this thread is talking about ??
    I may have to post an update for win 7 users ?
    I also still hang onto and even replace my Win XP computers.

A-26 Counter Invader

by Milton Shupe and Crew, converted by Bearcat241 and SOH crew

Includes 2d and VC panel by Bearcat241
    a great Dp with multi loadouts
    Includes two paint versions
    Brief Viet history text file, great sound file

Download ****

http://thefreeflightsite.com/Aircraft_CFS2_8.htm
    Its one of three listed in the SOH CFS2 library as:

Listed as A-26B_Invader_SOH_with_fix.zip (downloads as A-26B_Invader_SOH.zip)
    Listed as A-26C_Invader_SOH_with_update.zip (downloads as A-26C_Invader_SOH_with_update.zip)
    Listed as B-26K_Invader_SOH_with_fix.zip (downloads as B-26K_Invader_SOH.zip)

The first one listed, the B model, is the one we are messing around with in this thread.

But I have tried the other two and the same thing happens with them.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

I put the Bravo on the flight line again for a test on my XP rig and had no issues at all when loading in FF, changing models within FF or changing views and such. I don't have any more clues on this, except as Allen suggested about using a different panel. If the bitmap size isn't the cause then its got to be one of the gauges. Which one is anyone's guess...

Not sure if the dpi matters much. My desktop screen is defaulted to 96 dpi and handles the 2048 ~ 125 dpi bmp just fine in sim.

I can mess around with building a replacement panel for you, just have to find the best gauges to fit the look of the bitmap and hope they work out for you.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat241 View Post
    I put the Bravo on the flight line again for a test on my XP rig and had no issues at all when loading in FF, changing models within FF or changing views and such. I don't have any more clues on this, except as Allen suggested about using a different panel. If the bitmap size isn't the cause then its got to be one of the gauges. Which one is anyone's guess...

Not sure if the dpi matters much. My desktop screen is defaulted to 96 dpi and handles the 2048 ~ 125 dpi bmp just fine in sim.

I can mess around with building a replacement panel for you, just have to find the best gauges to fit the look of the bitmap and hope they work out for you.
    Gee Bearcat. I don't feel right about you spending your time making a new panel just on my account.

Whats funny is I am pretty sure that I used to run these ac on my XP rig, too. With no issues at all. I wouldn
    t swear to it but I am almost certain.

Did I mention, in case it matters, that I am running everything on my Window 8.1 Pro HP laptop? Screen-res 1920x1080

Unfortunately my old XPPro desktop bit the dust a couple of years ago. I rebuilt everything and got up and running again on this rig which, up until then, had very much been my back-up/travel computer.

My gut on this situation is that some gauge or other is behind it. Guess I could delete groups of gauges until I delete a group that make the problem go away. And then add-back the gauges from that group one by one until I hit on the one that makes the problem come back.

I guess one of the best places to start would be deleting the sub-panels one by one?

We'll see.

Thanks, for the offer to remake the panel. I won't absolutely forbid you to do ;^) so but maybe I should try this trial and error approach first.

Cheers,
    MR
    Last edited by MaskRider; March 26th, 2019 at 01:54.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Try this...i didn't resize the 2D bmp, just stripped down the number of gauges in the 2D and applied common-use stuff i've used in other conversions with no issues.
    Attached Files Attached Files

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Okay. Problem solved, I think.

I went through the process I described above and ended up zeroing in on the culprit gauges.

Observe the following screenshot. Notice the high-lighted area in the lower left part of the image.

One or else all of these little panel switch gauges, GA_Pansw, are the culprits. When I delete them the AC loads up in CFS2 FF no problem.

I tried all of the other panels. They all load fine except for the Engine Control Panel. Some gauge in that panel is also causing the sim to crash.

Progress!

MR

Last edited by MaskRider; March 26th, 2019 at 03:48.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Members who have read this thread: 0