What Key Did I Hit?

Thread: What Key Did I Hit?

What Key Did I Hit?

FSXers,

It has been a while since I flew FSX. I've been occupied in CFS2.

Anyway, ALL of my jets are now beginning with engines off. I hit Ctrl E to auto start and sometimes they start, sometimes they don't. Sometimes only one starts.
    What is wrong with this picture?
    What key did I mistakenly hit to cause this and how do I undo it?

Thanks,
    Lee
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Only thing I can think of has to do with a mixture control not at full rich position maybe in your default flight? When using CTRL+E for jet start, I listen for the spool up and then hit CTRL+Shift+F4 just to be sure. Maybe just a placebo effect??

Can you hear the engines spooling up and down as they try to start?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

If you still have problems, load a piston engine plane you know will start and once it's started, switch to the jet. Having said that, I think what Mr. Zippy posted will most likely fix your problem.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    Yes, I can hear them spooling up but when engine one gets to 24.7 N2 dial it shuts down.
    If I hold Ctrl E throughout it sometimes starts.
    I didn't know about the CTRL Shift F4 and will give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Only thing I can think of has to do with a mixture control not at full rich position maybe in your default flight? When using CTRL+E for jet start, I listen for the spool up and then hit CTRL+Shift+F4 just to be sure. Maybe just a placebo effect??

Can you hear the engines spooling up and down as they try to start?
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Lee, you might want to take a closer look at your default flight.

If your default flight loads a non-MS default aircraft, it can change your engine or aircraft settings when loading another aircraft. Also, if you've altered the default flight to a "cold and dark" state or something else, that can also affect any other aircraft.

One way to reset everything is to just find your FSX.cfg file, and rename it to make it ineffective then restart FSX to create a new FSX.cfg. At the same time it will give you the basic default flight and aircraft.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

[QUOTE=WarHorse47;1179164
    One way to reset everything is to just find your FSX.cfg file, and rename it to make it ineffective then restart FSX to create a new FSX.cfg. At the same time it will give you the basic default flight and aircraft.[/QUOTE]

An easier way to do it would be to delete what is there after SITUATION= and restart FSX and the default flight is now in place

[USERINTERFACE]
    PageID=1
    OpenATCOnCreate=0
    SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=1
    PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=0
    PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1
    SITUATION=
    Map_Orientation=2
    ShowAllACPaintSchemes=1
    SelectAircraftManufacturer=All
    SelectAircraftPublisher=All
    SelectAircraftType=All
    DisplayFuelAsWeight=1
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

This last answer brings again to my mind a thing I've wanted to ask (but forgotten).

Is there anywhere in the Internet some site or document where all these settings of FSX.cfg are explained? Parts of those one can find here and there and almost everywhere, but I haven't found any place where it all would be in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by PHo17 View Post
    This last answer brings again to my mind a thing I've wanted to ask (but forgotten).

Is there anywhere in the Internet some site or document where all these settings of FSX.cfg are explained? Parts of those one can find here and there and almost everywhere, but I haven't found any place where it all would be in one place.
    I have found some of the things also. One place was this tweak guide that gives some minor explanations of the FSX.cfg.

http://c-aviation.net/fsx-tweak/fsx-cfg-tweak-guide/

Another good site.....https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pre...949(v=msdn.10)

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    I have found some of the things also. One place was this tweak guide that gives some minor explanations of the FSX.cfg.

http://c-aviation.net/fsx-tweak/fsx-cfg-tweak-guide/

Another good site.....https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pre...949(v=msdn.10)
    Thank you (for the first link).

I already knew the MS site (first place to look for any settings) but I don't find there FSX.cfg settings just for the other config files.

Quote Originally Posted by PHo17 View Post
    Thank you (for the first link).

I already knew the MS site (first place to look for any settings) but I don't find there FSX.cfg settings just for the other config files.
    Type %appdata% in the search field of windows and you'll be able to find it!

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Type %appdata% in the search field of windows and you'll be able to find it!

Priller
    You misunderstood me. I have been simming MS FSs (FS2004 stoped and FSX continuing) since 2005 and know basic things like where FSX.cfg is situated etc.

The thing I haven't found yet is where are the explanations and details of ALL commands in the FSX.cfg or are they available (for end user) anywhere at all. Everything else like for example the commands in aircraft.cfg file are well documented and can be found on MS sites.

The links from @MrZippy are the ones you're looking for...

I just got back into simming again since about 2012 (been doing it since the '80's), and those are the links I found and used to set up my system again. That and trying stuff out myself...

I have a brandy new Dell Precision laptop with 32GB memory and a 4 GB nVidia m2200 graphics card, and my circa 2010 desktop system blows it away. That ain't right. Granted my desktop is overclocked to 3.8GHz and my laptop is only 2.8 GHz, but it supposedly turbo boosts to 3.8GHz. My desktop has a 2GB GTX1050 and the laptop's got 4GB of memory on the nVidia side, but it's also got that Intel HD Graphics 630 controller getting in the way. Point is, I'm still searching for an optimal setup to get it to boost its texture loading capability. Out of the box it was awful, unusable. I randomly changed a bunch of nVidia options and it's mostly usable now. It's still really slow at loading textures, but at least it does load them now and if I'm patient I can fly with decent scenery. I do get out of graphics memory issues with certain aircraft that I never see on my desktop (which has 18GB memory vs 32GB on the laptop/2GB graphics vs 4GB on the laptop as noted), and that's weird. Realizing this has nothing to do with your problem ....

As far as your issue... I'd take the advice above... It sounds like you saved a default flight that has a cold and dark aircraft.

Members who have read this thread: 0